Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bad Radio Reception On Stock Head Unit

Hello,

I am suffering from bad radio reception - would love to be able to listen to liked radio stations, but usually I have to stick to my iPod. Any ideas what could went wrong? Automatic scan for stations usually gives nothing and usually I can only tune in one or two stations manyally that play fine. Anybody had similar problems? Is there a problem with connectivity between headunit and antenna or could it be the headunit itself? Any ideas how to test that?

Thanks for your ideas in advance,

Jonas

Is it a common fault? It shouldn't be complicated to find an used one. How does it disconnect? Does it unscrew?

I've heard of a few of them go wrong, DJ Wozza replaced his a while back, remember he did a bit of a walkthrough on it if you can find it. The actual antenna just screws off, but if it's failed you need a whole new one which involves getting into the roof lining to remove the bolts holding it down.

I'm not sure if it's common but i had problems with my radio reception, fitted new all singin all dancing head unit & still no better, as Partiban says Wozza also had problems, changed the whole antenna out & no better either, if i remember correctly he got it fixed and it was found to be a wiring fault.

Thanks for your input, guys. I tried to search for the thread by DJ Wozza about the antenna, but without any luck. Do you remember what kind of wiring fault was that? Is it at the head unit's end or close to antenna? Somehow I am not into trying to remove the interior lining of the roof.

Wozza's thread is on another forum but copied what he posted after he got it working (there is a couple of pages before this post)

Well in light of the hassles I have pointed out previously on this thread, I would check, then check again, then check again that there is a 12V supply going to the antenna feed, then also check from the aerial end (not that hard to remove the back part of the headlining to check.

I am hazarding a guess here, but maybe the power feed to the base of the Aerial isn't just a direct line, as I can see no other way for Rabster & myself to

have checked it several times and it was fine, yet no radio reception. Then after everything was re-wired with new connections to the Head Unit, and the

OE wiring returned to standard, all of a sudden it is working fine ? Like I say only a guess, but the Amplified Aerial provides it's own earth, the signal feed &

12V+ leads are the only ones going to it, so all the other car wiring should have no effect on it whatsoever.............(remember I did say should). Either there

is 12V+ there or not ? It was checked endless times with a multimeter.

It's working fine now, but still a puzzle for sure

Hope this helps in some way but i personally have no experience on the subject as i gave up on it after fitting aftermarket ariel amplifier & still no better.

Deckie.

Wozza's thread is on another forum but copied what he posted after he got it working (there is a couple of pages before this post)

Well in light of the hassles I have pointed out previously on this thread, I would check, then check again, then check again that there is a 12V supply going to the antenna feed, then also check from the aerial end (not that hard to remove the back part of the headlining to check.

I am hazarding a guess here, but maybe the power feed to the base of the Aerial isn't just a direct line, as I can see no other way for Rabster & myself to

have checked it several times and it was fine, yet no radio reception. Then after everything was re-wired with new connections to the Head Unit, and the

OE wiring returned to standard, all of a sudden it is working fine ? Like I say only a guess, but the Amplified Aerial provides it's own earth, the signal feed &

12V+ leads are the only ones going to it, so all the other car wiring should have no effect on it whatsoever.............(remember I did say should). Either there

is 12V+ there or not ? It was checked endless times with a multimeter.

It's working fine now, but still a puzzle for sure

Hope this helps in some way but i personally have no experience on the subject as i gave up on it after fitting aftermarket ariel amplifier & still no better.

Deckie.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I am afraid to remove the upper headlining just because of the antenna as I may cause even more harm :) I have did some investigation with my antenna today. The reception gets even worse if I remove the antenna. As I understand, just finding doesn't rule out the possible problem with the amlifier itself, does it? Would a new/better idea make the reception better? I get some reception, but it is quite poor. Is there a possibility to put some kind of ampliier in between of headunit and the lines going to the roof? Is this the root you have chosen and did it make any difference? I want to find the easiest possible option :)

• 2 years later...

Guys, I've just stumbled across this thread as I'm trying to get a 13902 working in my Wreg 200. I bought it of eBay for £30 quid as I want it to look as stock. The tape works fine but the cd changer does not ( previous owner obviously suffered from jammed cd's!). So I wanted to get the radio working. But get bad reception. The previous old Sony radio worked fine with a whole load of bypass wiring - so assume the areal lead is ok - must be the way the stock is wired then. Any advice to how the stock wiring should be done for good reception to radio?