Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Some Questions About The Is-F

I have a few questions on the Lexus IS-F. I'm looking to buy a car (new or used) in 2011. I read recently that Lexus updated the IS-F. I have downloaded the brochure and seen some used car adverts but am a little confused with regards to the following:

1. Which model year has the mechanical LSD? Related to this, would I even notice if I bought an older IS-F?

2. Are the sports seats ventilated or not? The official brochure suggests they are not but adverts for used IS-F's suggest they are!

3. Is DAB standard equipment?

4. Is there a (digital) TV option?

Thanks in advance!

1. The updated 2010 cars are the ones with a Torsen LSD - a salesman told me that it does make a difference in that it doesn't trigger the stability control as easily but except for track driving I can't see how you'd really notice a big difference on the road.

2. They are ventilated as far as I know.

3. I think DAB is standard, but again only applies to more recent cars, not sure if it was in 09 or 10 though (think it came in the same time as the new HDD satnav)

4. No Lexus has TV as an option unfortunately.

2. They are ventilated as far as I know.

The seats are only heated, not ventilated like the 250 SE-L. The front kick plates are stainless steel on the IS-F, but not illuminated like the SE-L. DAB and Torsen mechanical LSD started with the 2010 update.

The seats are only heated, not ventilated like the 250 SE-L. The front kick plates are stainless steel on the IS-F, but not illuminated like the SE-L. DAB and Torsen mechanical LSD started with the 2010 update.

Oh, sorry my bad, didn't actually check on the test drive but assumed it would be there - seeing as the seats are still perforated seems an odd omission - in fact the lexus site says they are ventilated (twice) so they need to update that too!

Front seats, electrically adjustable, heated & ventilated with lumbar support

Front seats, ventilated and heated (variable)

Oh, sorry my bad, didn't actually check on the test drive but assumed it would be there - seeing as the seats are still perforated seems an odd omission - in fact the lexus site says they are ventilated (twice) so they need to update that too!

Front seats, electrically adjustable, heated & ventilated with lumbar support

Front seats, ventilated and heated (variable)

Perhaps they are on the 2010 model? They definitely aren't on mine as the roller switches only roll anti clockwise for the proportional heating, unlike the SE-L.

TBH they're not very effective as the vented air only comes out the seat pad, whereas it would be more use coming out the back pad. If the back pad was vented you could lean forward to allow the air out, with the seat pad the air only comes out where you are not sat, if you know what I mean, and on the IS-F seats that's where the extra side support is, and that's not perforated.

Anyway, if you're sweating in the IS-F it isn't the car for you :lol:

Perhaps they are on the 2010 model? They definitely aren't on mine as the roller switches only roll anti clockwise for the proportional heating, unlike the SE-L.

TBH they're not very effective as the vented air only comes out the seat pad, whereas it would be more use coming out the back pad. If the back pad was vented you could lean forward to allow the air out, with the seat pad the air only comes out where you are not sat, if you know what I mean, and on the IS-F seats that's where the extra side support is, and that's not perforated.

Anyway, if you're sweating in the IS-F it isn't the car for you :lol:

Looking at the pics on the website of the 2010 car I drove on Friday the knob doesn't have any markings on the right, so I think you're right there's no ventilation..........the site must be wrong in the specs.

I was actually loving the ventilated seats in the courtesy car I had on Friday though, the air was coming quite nicely through my suit trousers (although I imagine with jeans or similar they just won't work) - I do agree though it would be so much better if it also came out of the backrest too.

Thanks all for the replies. You can see why i'm a little confused! I think it's disappointing that the seats are not ventilated on the IS-F as it's supposed to be 'fully-loaded' and ventilated seats are not even an option.

Thanks all for the replies. You can see why i'm a little confused! I think it's disappointing that the seats are not ventilated on the IS-F as it's supposed to be 'fully-loaded' and ventilated seats are not even an option.

It is strange I must admit, perhaps they couldn't get the cooling part into the 'F' seats?

It's a little disappointing that my IS-F isn't quite as well appointed as my IS250 SE-L, but it makes up for it in so many other ways :). Don't really miss the ventilated seats and I've retro-fitted the illuminated kick plates. Strangely there's a female double pin plug of the right size already wired into the loom on the drivers side, but it isn't connected to the door closer switch. There was not a similar plug on the passenger side.

I have also transferred my OEM iPod adapter from my IS250 into the IS-F which meant having the entire centre console out, as well as the glovebox, passenger side airbag, centre air vents, ashtray and transmission cover (on both cars :crybaby:).

• 2 years later...

It's a little disappointing that my IS-F isn't quite as well appointed as my IS250 SE-L, but it makes up for it in so many other ways smile.gif. Don't really miss the ventilated seats and I've retro-fitted the illuminated kick plates. Strangely there's a female double pin plug of the right size already wired into the loom on the drivers side, but it isn't connected to the door closer switch. There was not a similar plug on the passenger side.

Hi Tango, Where did you get the illuminated kick plates from? I can only find U.S, suppliers

Here you go:

Fairly major improvements in the 2010 MY including the LSD, DAB and HDD Sat Nav, def worth going for over the 2008 MY if you can. You can check if 2010 MY by looking for DAB button. (Also added white interior option and USB colour)

2011 MY added major improvements to the suspension, DRL and moved the sport button to the steering wheel, also new layout speedo / rev.

2012 MY more susension changes and I believe change in tyre width

No ISFs have ventilated seats, they couldn't find the space to get the fans in with the sports seats.

No TV option

It's a little disappointing that my IS-F isn't quite as well appointed as my IS250 SE-L, but it makes up for it in so many other ways smile.gif. Don't really miss the ventilated seats and I've retro-fitted the illuminated kick plates. Strangely there's a female double pin plug of the right size already wired into the loom on the drivers side, but it isn't connected to the door closer switch. There was not a similar plug on the passenger side.

Hi Tango, Where did you get the illuminated kick plates from? I can only find U.S, suppliers

I kept my modified IS250 SE-L when I purchased the IS-F, as it then took me a year to make up my mind as to which one I wanted to keep. As I said, the Lexus IPod adapter and the illuminated kick plates were retro fitted from the IS250 when I decided to sell it on.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2011 model has ventilated heated cushions & back-rest & the sills are illuminated.

The Nav appears to up-date with different "voice prompts" & split 3D junction screens but, as this has only just started, I await further evidence----assume the shark-fin has something to do with it ?

Tel

• 11 months later...

You don't need vented seats mate you won't sweat to death .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links