Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400H Cylinder Head Cracks

Hello to all,

i'm writing to this forum while i'm still quite disappointed with my RX400h since I just came from the local dealer and they told me my car has two cracks on both Cylinder Heads of the engine. Total cost for the rebuild after 20% discount on the parts = 7500 euros... :tsktsk:

I could not believe my ears when i heard that instead of the cylinder head gasket we had to also replace both cylinder heads. I saw the cracks since i eye witnessed when they took the engine apart so there is no other doubt :crybaby:

The car was bought from the first owner in August 2006 and i bought it from him in April 2008 so it's been in my hands for more than two years and it has a total of 120.000 km. I bought it from France and imported it to Greece where i live.

I did all the services religiously always in a Lexus authorized service shop and i take a good care of the car. The only thing i can blame me for is that I have a heavy foot and generally i drive fast. But still it is a 72000 euros Toyota car so i bet you can drive it fast right...?

Anyway now i'm so disappointed that i'm thinking of selling the car (regardless of how much i like it) because I just lost faith to it :tomato: I'm afraid of future electrical problems on the hybrid system especially the alternator or the batteries.

The reason i'm writing to this forum is because i would like to see if there is anyone else who experienced similar or other engine problems and/or problems on the hybrid system. I'm so really disappointed that any reply would really help me get the right decision. Keep the car (with almost a new engine since everything will be replaced) or sell it to avoid other known expensive problems and literally throw all this money away?

Thanks a lot for your time in advance...

Sorry to hear about your problems.

What about your insurance?

Should not those kind of problems should be covered in the policy?

/Petter

Hello to all,

i'm writing to this forum while i'm still quite disappointed with my RX400h since I just came from the local dealer and they told me my car has two cracks on both Cylinder Heads of the engine. Total cost for the rebuild after 20% discount on the parts = 7500 euros... :tsktsk:

I could not believe my ears when i heard that instead of the cylinder head gasket we had to also replace both cylinder heads. I saw the cracks since i eye witnessed when they took the engine apart so there is no other doubt :crybaby:

The car was bought from the first owner in August 2006 and i bought it from him in April 2008 so it's been in my hands for more than two years and it has a total of 120.000 km. I bought it from France and imported it to Greece where i live.

I did all the services religiously always in a Lexus authorized service shop and i take a good care of the car. The only thing i can blame me for is that I have a heavy foot and generally i drive fast. But still it is a 72000 euros Toyota car so i bet you can drive it fast right...?

Anyway now i'm so disappointed that i'm thinking of selling the car (regardless of how much i like it) because I just lost faith to it :tomato: I'm afraid of future electrical problems on the hybrid system especially the alternator or the batteries.

The reason i'm writing to this forum is because i would like to see if there is anyone else who experienced similar or other engine problems and/or problems on the hybrid system. I'm so really disappointed that any reply would really help me get the right decision. Keep the car (with almost a new engine since everything will be replaced) or sell it to avoid other known expensive problems and literally throw all this money away?

Thanks a lot for your time in advance...

No even that I have a full comprehensive insurance it will not cover engine problems. In addition since the car has 120.000 km it is out of it's warranty period. So the money is coming out of my pocket the thing is what are the chances of another expensive problem in case I keep the car.

BTW a friend of mine told me that his Mercedes which was imported from Germany had some issues due to the engine thermostat. It had to be replaced bacause in Greece the climate is a lot warmer and the thermostat was for cold climates like Germany's or in my case France. The Lexus technisian told me that they will change the thermostat proactively since there is a chance of it breaking down in the future. Is anyone aware of differences on the engine thermostats of the RX400h because of climate differences? That might explain a lot why it happen. FYI My engines highest temp reading was in the second line (2/4) of the instruments reading!

Thanks again

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links