Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Running Costs

I'm considering buying an ISF in the next few months. It's tempting as I believe it will be much cheaper to run than a M3 or C63 and far more reliable. Went on a test drive a few days ago in an '08 model and liked it a lot.

Can anyone who has owned one for 2 years or so let me know what the servicing/parts costs have been? I'm not too bothered about fuel/insurance but servicing/parts on the german opposition are horrendous.

I'm considering buying an ISF in the next few months. It's tempting as I believe it will be much cheaper to run than a M3 or C63 and far more reliable. Went on a test drive a few days ago in an '08 model and liked it a lot.

Can anyone who has owned one for 2 years or so let me know what the servicing/parts costs have been? I'm not too bothered about fuel/insurance but servicing/parts on the german opposition are horrendous.

Since Apr 2008: Breakdowns - nil. Spares/Repairs nil. I took out 5yr Warranty (really just an extra 2yrs) at £1175, and prepaid 4yr Lexus Service Plan at £1408 - both at time of purchase, so would not have had any further expense if there had been problems. At a glance it does not look worth these "insurances" so far, but major problems could be hugely expensive on the ISF. I had similar warranty on my IS200LE & had the water-pump replaced - the invoiced costs (which obviously I didn't have to pay) for that single job were more than the price of the extended warranty. So my only additional service expenditure has been petrol for the courtesy cars.

Also compared with the M3 and particularly the C63, the ISF is less bulky to park - important in multi-storeys etc, and real world fuel consumption is better. Against that, the M3 & C63 may be a bit more exciting.

Thanks for the info.

Does the service plan include parts as well? The costs you've mentioned still work out cheaper than the german rivals. I'm not too bothered about the size of the car...my 'everyday' motor is a Merc E-class estate so if i can park that, i can park anything!

I like the fact that in a sober colour the IS-F doesn't attract the same sort of attention as the M3/C63 (even though the exhaust pipes are straight from Max Power). Also below the 3600rpm cut-off it drives much like an IS250.

One thing that really annoys me about the British media is how much is written about the 'bone-shaking' ride on the IS-F. I must say it rides better than my E-class sport. I think there seems to be an inherent 'racism' against Japanese cars in the media in the UK.

Rant over...

Compared to BMW and MErcedes, the IS-F is undoubtly cheaper to run: cheaper insurance, better mpg. Brake and tyres on a side note are probably the same, be prepared to change before 20k miles if you like to use the right foot :P

All the (little) problems I have had have been taken cre of under warranty. As fjcfarrar, I subscribed to the Extracare warranty/assistance expansion to be safe but I doubt I will have to use it.

Services are almost the same as for the IS250, it just needs more oil.

Even if the ISF worked out more expensive, which I doubt, I would still choose it over the M3 on looks alone. I heard some time ago that after a high mileage, the M3 needs an engine rebuild - ouch.

Thanks for the info.

Does the service plan include parts as well? The costs you've mentioned still work out cheaper than the german rivals. I'm not too bothered about the size of the car...my 'everyday' motor is a Merc E-class estate so if i can park that, i can park anything!

I like the fact that in a sober colour the IS-F doesn't attract the same sort of attention as the M3/C63 (even though the exhaust pipes are straight from Max Power). Also below the 3600rpm cut-off it drives much like an IS250.

One thing that really annoys me about the British media is how much is written about the 'bone-shaking' ride on the IS-F. I must say it rides better than my E-class sport. I think there seems to be an inherent 'racism' against Japanese cars in the media in the UK.

Rant over...

Parking itself is not the problem where smaller size helps, especially with the camera and sensors - its more being able to get out having parked it in multistoreys. The Service plan is all-inclusive - even asked for wiper-rubbers and batteries for fobs to be replaced (not because either were needed yet, but to deal with them while the car was there) at last service. I fully expected to pay for these, but they were included. Of course that might have been down to the excellent customer care at Lexus Guildford rather than the plan. I noted a comment above about using more oil than a 250 - mine uses none.

The Service plan is all-inclusive - even asked for wiper-rubbers and batteries for fobs to be replaced (not because either were needed yet, but to deal with them while the car was there) at last service. I fully expected to pay for these, but they were included. Of course that might have been down to the excellent customer care at Lexus Guildford rather than the plan.

I'd be surprised if those parts were included in a service plan but it is possible. It is probably more down to the dealer though, I've never had a service plan but my dealer always replaced wiper rubbers and batteries free of charge too :)

I noted a comment above about using more oil than a 250 - mine uses none.

I think the poster was saying that the oil capacity is greater, not that it "used" it between changes ;)

I noted a comment above about using more oil than a 250 - mine uses none.

I think the poster was saying that the oil capacity is greater, not that it "used" it between changes ;)

Hi I HAVE DONE 43,000 MLS NOW, SERVICING NOT MUCH DEARER THAN THE IS250 IN THOSE MILES i HAVE TOPPED THE OIL UP 3 TIMES BETWEEN SERVICING, MY TYRES ARE BRIDGESTONE, LAST ABOUT 21,000 MLS COST £200, DIDNT BOTHER WITH ANY EXTRA SERVICING INSURANCE, HAD TRACKER FITTED, INSURANCE £300 THATS BECAUSE i MUST BE AN OLD GEZZER,

JUST KEEP THE WHEELS WASHED WELL THATS THE ONLY THING, GO FOR IT

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links