Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lost Key

Hi TEAM LEXUS,

I'm a newbie in this forum and would really appreciate all the help you can give. I lost my masterkey for my IS 200 the other night and i tried using the spare key with no chip and the car didn't start. Is there a way to use the car without the masterkey? any other ways to bypass the system?

Thank you so much for your help-Rocks

Hi TEAM LEXUS,

I'm a newbie in this forum and would really appreciate all the help you can give. I lost my masterkey for my IS 200 the other night and i tried using the spare key with no chip and the car didn't start. Is there a way to use the car without the masterkey? any other ways to bypass the system?

Thank you so much for your help-Rocks

hi sorry to hear about your keys,really you should have one 3 buttoned key/fob(black) and one 2 buttoned key fob(grey),these are the only 2 that will start the car,the black being the master. if you now have neither well you might have to go to lexus or possibly look at changing the barrels/ecu.Hope this helps.

You have a spare key with no chip? That sounds bizarre as surely that could never start the car as it won't deactivate the immobiliser?

Losing the master key is a big problem as you need one to be able to program another......

• 2 weeks later...

You may have to do a little research but you can salvage the problem you may just be without your car until you can get it all sorted out. Since you have a spare key although it doesn't start the car at least you can get new keys cut from it so that's a start. There are two transponder types in the key fobs for the IS one is a valeo and the other is a Denso. The Denso transponder chip came out in the earlier models. You will have to check the cut off date, a later transponder (valeo) cannot be programmed to work in an earlier IS and visa versa.

You can pick the transponders up from eBay, there is a guy selling new keys with transponders for about £60-70 or you can do what I did and find an auction of a preowned key, get the transponder and transplant it in to a blank (making sure, as already stated, you check the length of your spare key the blade should be either 37 or 42mm)

One thing to note about the keys, (picture attached) you will notice on the right the Master has two grooves running down the side of it and the Valet key doesn’t. The grooves allow you to lock the Glovebox and open the boot which you cannot do with the valet key.

mastervalet.jpg

denso.jpg

Once you have won you auction for a 3 button transponder chip and purchased a new 3 button case and got the key cut. Then you have to get your ECM flashed back to factory mode so you can program the new key on to your immobiliser. I hope the above points you in the right direction, there is plenty of info/advice on this forum. I was quoted £1700 by Lexus because I don’t have a master key, I've calculated by the time I get the ECM reflashed and keys programmed I will have saved myself about £1450 so it might be a bit tedious but will be well worth it!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links