Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt Replacement Query

I'm about to bite the bullet and get the job done in the next month or so. I'm planning to buy the parts myself and then get my tried and tested mechanic (who's never worked on a Lexus but has always served me well on other cars) to fit the bits.

Would this be an adequate replacement

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS200-2-0-TIMING-BELT-KIT-TENSIONER-WATER-PUMP-/300372587927?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

or should I be looking at this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS200-2-0i-99-05-TIMING-CAM-BELT-TENSIONER-KIT-/400135097772

and buying a water pump to go with it, if so does anyone have any recommended dealers to provide this part?

I sound a bit of a cheapskate doing it like this I know, but money is not swilling about in my house these days!

it would cost about £30 more to buy those parts direct from lexus which would be the best quality ie crucial tbh on parts like that - ie £230 inc waterpump or thereabouts- also theres a small pipe called a bypass hose which is about £12 which usually gets done whilst the car is stripped down in that area and two small o rings about £3 each - check prices with lexus for exact prices also lexuspartsdirect are highly reccomended - is it worth saving 30 - 40 and taking a chance on eBay stuff being good quality ?

i paid about £100 for mine with the service,i think theyll come in about that mark which is why the wise old hands seem to get them from eBay usa - sorry cant post a link as dont have my manual handy to see which exact make and type it should be ie denso ik20 or similar - have heard and read a few comments about fitting cheaper alternatives affecting performance and longevity of life of plug

I'm only assuming mine need replacing, I read that they last 60k miles, mine have done 50k if they are the originals. Some mornings I have to have 2 attempts at firing up the engine, maybe 2 or 3 times a month is all, but the car is a 52 plate so if they are the originals, while low mileage, they are older than usual for 50k-ers. I just thought that if the airbox was off and plugs were out for the belt change, that would be a good time to get them swopped over.

would be easy to change them at that time - when i had mine done (main dealer) i asked for the old plugs which eventually i sent to another loc member with car trouble and no money,i sent him six plugs (one careful owner) and i think stav sent him some stuff too - anyway six months on hes still rollin on my old plugs-only threw the waterpumkp out when i bought the disco as was changed while in the area as opposed to from being worn