Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keys Again - Codes And Missing.

04AAA

Sorry to bring up the subject of keys but I am a little confused being a newbie to Lexus.

With the car, a s/h purchase 3rd owner, I was given 3 keys 2 black and 1 grey and a locking wheel nut adapter with code number.

All three keys only have a lock and a unlock button.

In the manual It suggests that only one of the black keys is a "master" and that it should have 3 buttons. Does this mean I am missing the master and could this be a problem in the future?

The grey key appears to work as described it locks/unlocks doors and starts the engine but doesn't fit the glove box.

I gather I should have also been supplied a metal strip with the key number - I was not - is this another problem?

IIRC, The Sport Cross doesnt have a rear boot/taildoor opener so only has two buttons. The Black ones are master and can be copied , the grey CANNOT be copied, this can be used for valet parking, servicing etc to ensure no one can copy your keys. Do NOT lose both black ones it would be a major expense.

IIRC, The Sport Cross doesnt have a rear boot/taildoor opener so only has two buttons. The Black ones are master and can be copied , the grey CANNOT be copied, this can be used for valet parking, servicing etc to ensure no one can copy your keys. Do NOT lose both black ones it would be a major expense.

Thanks, reassuring that they are both masters.

and the missing key number strip - important?

and the missing key number strip - important?

Not really, you can get a blank key cut to one of your old ones, or if you got a genuine key it would be cut to the chassis number of the vehicle.