Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is220D Problem

fonserg

All greetings from Russia. 3 days ago I have bought lexus is220d. Fuel consumption a highway - 8.5L\100km(100-140 km\h), a city 13 L\100km. Unfortunately in Russia there would be no representatives of Lexus what to solve my problem. I heard about a problem of the fifth atomizer, I have cleaned fuel giving on this atomizer - fuel consumption hasn't changed. In what there can be a problem? In advance thanks. I apologize for very bad English.

I think, the reason of your high consumption ist a dirty "pipe for the measurement of the pressure difference" (DPNR-Cat). Than, the Motor-ECU is thinking, the DPNR-Cat ist full loaded and use the 5th injector for cleaning the cat.

You can clean it, but the cause of this problem must be also removed. There are a modified DPNR-Cat available. It has different connections of the "pipes for the measurement of the pressure difference" of the DPNR and it should not plugging anymore.

And, it´s also a modified 5th injector (fifth atomizer) available.

All greetings from Russia. 3 days ago I have bought lexus is220d. Fuel consumption a highway - 8.5L\100km(100-140 km\h), a city 13 L\100km. Unfortunately in Russia there would be no representatives of Lexus what to solve my problem. I heard about a problem of the fifth atomizer, I have cleaned fuel giving on this atomizer - fuel consumption hasn't changed. In what there can be a problem? In advance thanks. I apologize for very bad English.

Hello, i m from Italy. U live in a nice country guy ;)

about Lexus Is220d high consumptions: they are due to the fact that 5th injector inject fresh fuel into exaust system trying to start and complete the cleaning cycle of the dpnr filter. my car do actually exactly the same. In general this car, to be a turbodiesel, is prone to have many different problems: EGR valve that comes dirty very easy, Dpnr filter in the exaust system that at same risk to let u go to the carshop for an expensive extemporary cleaning and other amazing things (.

Anyway i m trying to solve forever these problem doing like this:

-put off the dpnr filter, which is famous to be an inquinator and not an ecologic device as media try to explain us ( dpnr transform pm10 particles in pm2 -pm6 particles more cancerogenic),

-put on an electronic emulator instead of the filter,

-close the line of the fuel that goes to 5th injector,

so even if the ECU says to it to sprit fuel into marmite, it cannot do becauae don t have fuel to inject ;)

actually i run with the emulator and no filter, and all seems to woek properly, just the 5 th injector cpntinue to sprit fuel in the marmite....

U can imagine whats happen.

Next week i ll try to cloae 5th injector and see what will happen.

Today the problem has partially dared itself. After 2-3 kilometers on the maximum speed 215 km/h. After that the expense became the following:

Highway: 140 Km\h - 7 liters (was 9).

110km\h - 5.4 liters.

But today has given out VSC an error (scanning has shown an error from for fuel overlappings to the fifth atomizer)

What explanation to it will be?!

-put on an electronic emulator instead of the filter

2 gages of pressure and 2 gages of temperature are replaced with this emulator or other principle of action?

Where I can buy it?

The emulator i m speakin about is from : 'powerking' write 'powerking emulatore fap' in google and u ll find it. It s producted not far from me, in Varese city, north Italy. But beofre buy it, i suggest u to wait a little because i have it mounted in my is from 3 weeks but the problem of total elimination of filter is not still resolved. The device is expensive, about 400 euro, so i suggest u to wait and let me see if i ll be able to fix the problem.

So u will not spend money for nothing.

Now i can say u for sure:

- the emulator is connected to the differential pressure devide that controls the 2 pressure gauges on entrance and exit of FAP,

and also one cable goes to the debimeter sensor on air intake;

- the emulator seems go work properly because the Ecu don t go in recovery mode;

- no connections with temp gauges, it s not necessary, because if u have free tube instead of filter the temp in the system is always low and so the ecu feels like the fap is always clean ;) so no 'generation cycle' has comanded ftom the ecu.

I still have problems with 5th injector, thats why i want try to close it.

I m afraid that the 5 th injector is used not only for regeneration of the fap, but also for keeping NOx low when the LAMBDA gauge at the end of the exaust see there are too much NOx around. If this happen.... Mmm... will be very hard to close the problem, let s see ...

Today the car has again increased fuel consumption. Probably yesterday at the big loading the catalyst was cleared by exhaust gases of high temperature.

When I will establish the emulator I should remove the catalyst from a part on a picture? How I have understood it will add capacities and will reduce fuel consumption?

post-35261-128281792974.jpg

Today the car has again increased fuel consumption. Probably yesterday at the big loading the catalyst was cleared by exhaust gases of high temperature.

When I will establish the emulator I should remove the catalyst from a part on a picture? How I have understood it will add capacities and will reduce fuel consumption?

Yesss if u use an emulator of filter u need to take off filter and put a normal piece of tube. A good mechanic can easily construct for u. Don t forget to construct the holes for the gauges around the filter.

The high consumptions in this Lexus depends exclusively by the 5th injector, if it spray diesel in the exaust system they will be high. Actually in my Lexus they are mediumly 10.2 l/100 km. Yess very high (

I the mechanic also can construct such pipe. How I have understood it is necessary to include temperature gages in a pipe, but it is not necessary to connect pressure gages?!

ULISSE you use icq or skype?

No, i said that all 4 gauges must taken be in place in the tube u ll construct. But their position is not critic, because the two pressure gauges will be bypassed by the emulator, and the 2 temp. gauges will se more or less anyway the same low temperature. U need to connect them just to don't have them moving around inside the car ))

I m not a mechanic, but a civil engineer, constructions field ;) please don't consider my opinions exaustive of any problem, i'm simply trying to use brain to solve this problem: eliminate forever the filter from the car.

i have daily contact to solve the problem with a friend, chief of electronic preparations (who suggested and installed the emulator) and a friend which is very good mechanic and prepare cars for rally ;) but i needed to explain them many things because they didn t know this car before i present them.

From the image that u put here, i suppose u also found, like me ))) that russian site with all the figures and the scheme of the engine of this car... da? )))

i use Skype and also icq, but i dont remember my icq number, while skype is 'pistonbrillo'.

I want to buy powerking emulatore fap and tuning box. These things are compatible?

I have both ;) but actually they are not mounted on the car because before we want to solve the problem with filter without any other interference.

Anyway i have:

- CNTECH tuning box (italian, look on their site);

- Sprintbooster (from Boulekous Dynamics).

i will put on the car when aolved problems.

I had Cntech module on the car for about one week before disinstall filter and the car was completely transformed!! And less consumptions!!

Ohhh there are so many choices around; i considered almost 15 italian brands of boxes, then i choose CNTECH because in the italian BMW and Alfa Romeo forums many guys use this brand and are very satisfied. I also spoke with the designer and seemed to me serious person.

There are alternatives powerking emulatore fap? I tried to search but haven't found, is possible at you there are variants?

I suppose yess but i didnt check because my electronic suggest me this brand. I spoke with guys of CNTECH and they said also they are studying something about this problem... U could ask them sending a mail.

Today has disassembled EGR the mechanism and has cleared it. There was a lot of deposit. Has tried to disconnect EGR a plate - as soon as has gone on a city has appeared VSC error and has worked the terminator of speed 60 km/h.

Today tried to arrange drag racing with honda accord 2.0i manual 155см - my lexus is220d also manual Has lost and much, I think dirty FAP the filter absorbs a lot of capacity.

post-35261-128361710095.jpg

post-35261-128361711844.jpg

post-35261-128361713477.jpg

post-35261-128361714696.jpg

post-35261-128361715706.jpg

post-35261-128361717023.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I bought a Lexus IS 220D, which is still under warranty (I have 2 months warranty). The big problem I have is that a high consumption (13.5l/100 km in city, highway 10l/100km). I went to Lexus dealer in Romania, but did not fix the problem, because the car is not registered in their database for changing the 5th injector, and the ECU has not stored any error regarding the injection or a catalyst filter (DPNR filter). What could I do? how to provoke an error that is being stored in ecu?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Fuel consumption is still very great. I tried to change MAF sensor - haven't helped. I have thought to check up indications Air fuel ratio sensor. Indications of the gage of 0.55 volt on single turns and on cruise control at any speed. When I press indication gas aspire to 0.5 volt when completely I release that aspire to 0.6.

post-35261-028616500 1287739728.jpg

post-35261-095723300 1287739756.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

I've bought my lexus 220d few months ago, on odometer it has 55k . I have a very high fuel consumtion 22mpg in the city and 28 on the highway. I went to lexus centre but they did not found any problems. Also I went to a private workshop , they did some research and told me that the problem might be with EGR valve. The first thing which they did : they cleaned the EGR valve ( does not helped ) , after this update the programmer on the lexus' computer ( does not helped ) . After one week they tried to turn off the EGR valve and to drive a little bit ( seemed that fuel consumption is geting lower ) We decided to change the EGR valve . Yesterday they changed EGR valve, nothing happend , still have a high fuel consumption . What will advise me to do next ?

Air filter is OK?

Tire pressure OK?

After the drive try all wheels for the temperature - if one of the brakes is not stuck.

After that, go to toyota and buy the injector cleaner, insert it in the tank + take full tank. Then try to make 20 miles on 3500-4000rpm to clean the DNPR.

this is the chapest way to sort it out. Hope it helps.

• 2 years later...

In all honesty I'm not sure there is a definitive answer. I've heard people say that Lexus have found hugely differing mpg reported by their customers.

My son is currently getting 44-53 mpg depending on the length of journey.

I did the cleaning of the EGR myself and used BG244 to clean the top end and injectors. Then used AR6200 additive at every fill up. Had a new Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Tyre Pressures spot on etc. Did all the obvious things..maybe I was just lucky with the car I got?

You are quite closeish to the Top oils HQ. The owner has said he will demonstrate how to clean the EGR and top end using the Bardahl treatment. Might be worth a try.. they are in Hertfordshire I believe.

I do wonder how clean your DPF is..it could be a factor. A couple of goodish runs holding higher revs in 3rd or 4th may well do the trick. The DPF has to get bloody hot to initiate the cleanse cycle when all the soot gets burnt off. Known it done locally at a garage... the thing glows its so damned hot!!!

There are some posts on here relating to a garage in Birmingham that did work on the DPF at a set charge which did not seem too bad at all in the context of other charges quoted by Lexus.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are several contributing factors:

1) EGR dirty

2) Intake Manifold dirty. (likely if EGR is). This will be harder to clean and will cause the mixture to be rich (ECU thinks there is more air than actual from the MAF)

3) DPF clogged. This cloggs at around 80K depending on your usage and oil. Will need replacing or cleaning out

4) Pressure differential sensor to DPF may be partially clogged giving false readings and causing frequent re-gens (lower mpg)

5) Dirty Injectors. A de-coke(>3500 rpm for 6-8 mins) session with additives may clear this and cause a DPF re-gen

6) Stop-Start motoring - it's a heavy, powerful car.

My motoring has changed from urban(22 mile commute) mixed(40 mile commute) to mainly motorway (90 mile commute) and the fuel consumption has increased from 38 to 42 and is now at 48-50. It was built for the motorway at speeds of (indicated) 75 mph or more in 6th gear. Lexus have even defaulted the dials to turn orange when this happens! ;-) Lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links