Would You Consider The Ct200H?

Steve

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not me personally but if it had been around when we bought our Prius we probably would have bought this instead.

Interior is great, think the front end of the car looks good but rear half looks too much like an auris, if they had kept the concepts lines it would have worked better.

Rear wheel drive would have been nice too :)

Would depend on actual size, difficult to tell from a photo, looks about the size of a Focus. Boot looks small in that photo on autoblog. Do seeks fold / tilt? Guess price will be too high against similar size cars ( although not direct comparisons ).

If this is the way we are going at Lexus, possibly with an all Hybrid Line-Up, then we will have to get used to it.

Personally I like the CT200h and think it is a step in the right direction for Lexus and I did like the concept interior very much, but suspect that much of this won't make the final model unfortunately. What this will also do is to bring in a new range of customers to our brand and that is always very much welcome, especially given the huge explosion in the range of German cars that are now or will be currenlty available.

Good for Lexus, keep developing these models and you just may steal an edge on the other luxury brands out there.

We are certainly going to be considering one of these as a second car when it becomes available later 2010/early 2011 providing we like what we see and the test drives prove beneficial, then one will be added to our family car list! And I for one, can't wait to try it.

I need to see it in the 'metal' and taking test drive before making a final decision. Looking at the way cars are going I am concerned over the potential for problems; being a 'member' of KISS society (Keep It Simple Stupid) I like things that are uncomplicated. In the UK high performing diesels currently get the sort of mpg that these hybrids get. I know that hybrids can drive on electric alone but only for a very short distance in most cases. The life of the Battery and subsequent future Battery replacement costs are a worry - how many of your modern mobile phones have had batteries go? - Too many!! I am aware of hybrids that are a decade old but what about when they get to 20+ years old? Will we then see cars having to be scrapped purely because the batteries have failed and replacement is too expensive - great for the environment - NOT!!!!

I wait for my invite from my Lexus dealer for a viewing and test drive with much interest and anticipation.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like price range will be £23k to £32k :eek, counts me out.

It had to be priced just out of reach of the prius and auris hybrid......

If we go on getting winters like the last 3, then it's either FWD or 4WD for me next time. I think the CT is FWD isn't it, and it's smaller than my GS so it will be on my list. Mind you I keep all my cars for 5 years if I like them, and I do like the GS. I bought it new in 2008, so it's got a couple of years to go before replacement. Assuming I don't hit anything in the winter...

Of course, what I'd really like is the AWD GS they sell in the USA.

• 1 month later...

No, it's FWD and not sporty.

Lexus marketeers don't know what they want. A little bit of BMW, some Mercedes and now some Audi.

If this thing would have been some Subaru Impreza STI 4x4 or BMW 130i RWD with a hybrid system, I would have been interested.

My IS 200 s/c doesn't have a worthy successor (IS-F being out of league). If I had to replace it, Lexus doesn't stand a chance. A pity.

Next please.

• 4 weeks later...

If it was bit cheaper maybe & more to point why was this CT200h brought out? is it to compete with likes of bmw 1 series & VW Golf ? seeing this is a hybrid only not say 1.8 petrol only or a hot hatch or atleast a 'slightly quicker' alternative i understand no diesel as its a hybrid, looks good though atleast my opinion

No, it's FWD and not sporty.

Lexus marketeers don't know what they want. A little bit of BMW, some Mercedes and now some Audi.

If this thing would have been some Subaru Impreza STI 4x4 or BMW 130i RWD with a hybrid system, I would have been interested.

My IS 200 s/c doesn't have a worthy successor (IS-F being out of league). If I had to replace it, Lexus doesn't stand a chance. A pity.

Next please.

Today's car market is shifting away from performance cars and what the masses now want is low emissions and good fuel economy. Lexus have brought out the CT200 to compete in the C premium sector of the market. The C premium sector is the fastest growing market and the D premium (IS market) is declining at a fast rate.

I can not stress how important this car is to Lexus GB and the dealer network. If this car does not perform then you will see a huge reduction in the amount of dealers in the UK as on the current levels of new car registrations the dealers can not survive unless subsidised by the manufacturer and this can not go on forever

I have just driven the car and its competition for the last couple of days and I can report is looks nice, its very quiet, efficient, enough power, handles well, excellent build quality and is good value for money.

However I would not buy one as I am a petrol head and enjoy driving as I assume most people on the web site. This car will be bought by people who want to get from A to B in a comfortable car with good tax benefits. For me it is under powered and boring to drive Lexus did say that there is a good chance it will be available with a 2.0 Turbo after launch now this is more me. Interestingly Lexus are thinking that this car will appeal to female buyers in particular.

6000 of these will come to the Uk next year and all will be sold just think about how many Prius and other manufacturers eco models you see on the road...... quite a lot I imagine.

The death of the V10's V8's V6's normally aspirated engines is slowly happening due to ever increasing demand from the EU on emissions control and the number of new car buyers are dwindling so lets all celebrate and enjoy them now as in 10 years they will not exist any more :crybaby:

Fairygodmother, thanks for an excellent summary of the predicament that Lexus finds itself in in the UK. I couldn't have put it better myself. It is sad to think that there's no future for normally aspirated V6s and V8s, and I'll certainly make the most of my IS250 for the next few years.

To be honest, I half expect Lexus to close down in the UK, as their product range just isn't suited to market demand here. The Germans are simply wiping the floor. My partner recently bought an Audi and the dealership was under siege from interested buyers. You can't get a Q5 for love nor money. So why hasn't Lexus got what it takes to tackle Europe? In my view, lack of will. Both Lexus and Toyota seem to have given up on the European markets, and maybe that's a sensible approach given how fierce it is and that it's in decline. Their attempts at diesels are frankly pathetic.

I also don't understand how Lexus got so popular in the US, without any real niche vehicles - no equivalents to the BMW 1 series, 3 series coupe or estate, X1, X3, Z4, 6 series, etc. etc.

I just hope Lexus's slow demise doesn't affect the value of my IS too much!! I can't see the CT making much impact, when you can buy an A3 2.0 TDI that goes like a pocket rocket for the same price and has better fuel consumption.

It's depressing... Must be terrible for the dealers.

The death of the V10's V8's V6's normally aspirated engines is slowly happening due to ever increasing demand from the EU on emissions control and the number of new car buyers are dwindling so lets all celebrate and enjoy them now as in 10 years they will not exist any more :crybaby:

I'm not sure it's over, the Germans are still going at it quite nicely, and figuring out ways to keep their overall CO2 emissions down so they can keep the big engines going.

Plus the figures of the latest Merc 500s (4.7ltr twin turbo V8) are truly astonishing so some companies are working on making these engines more fuel efficient.

Assuming we haven't changed fuel source by then, in 10 years there's a good chance V8s could be as frugal as a Prius :winky:

• 1 month later...

Looks quite nice the CT200h especially f-sport :) would i get one hmmmm, not sure do prefer it over a 1 series fo - sure !

I'm not sure it's over, the Germans are still going at it quite nicely, and figuring out ways to keep their overall CO2 emissions down so they can keep the big engines going.

Plus the figures of the latest Merc 500s (4.7ltr twin turbo V8) are truly astonishing so some companies are working on making these engines more fuel efficient.

Assuming we haven't changed fuel source by then, in 10 years there's a good chance V8s could be as frugal as a Prius :winky:

I wouldnt think its over either, Lexus just need to improve on few things here and there but that comes down to costs as most things ! + like of BMW, Mercs been around long before Lexus brand, also if a decline in say certain luxury cars/brands well Infiniti (nissan luxury division)recently came on sale to Europe, if they knew by looking at BMW / Lexus no demand nowadays dont think Nissan would of introduced it to europe. + they do look nice but Infiniti over Lexus?? you serious lol however they do have certain cars lexus dont like a G37 coupe :) so that can be a exception lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Surprised many people are buying them considering the reviews they are getting.

This site compiles them all, doesn't make for pretty reading - http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/Lexus-CT

Especially brave as no owners can have reviewed them yet, so no one really knows what the true mpg in real world conditions is.

You have to remember motoring journalists live in the past. They haven't quite understood yet where road transport is headed.

I need to see it in the 'metal' and taking test drive before making a final decision. Looking at the way cars are going I am concerned over the potential for problems; being a 'member' of KISS society (Keep It Simple Stupid) I like things that are uncomplicated. In the UK high performing diesels currently get the sort of mpg that these hybrids get. I know that hybrids can drive on electric alone but only for a very short distance in most cases. The life of the battery and subsequent future battery replacement costs are a worry - how many of your modern mobile phones have had batteries go? - Too many!! I am aware of hybrids that are a decade old but what about when they get to 20+ years old? Will we then see cars having to be scrapped purely because the batteries have failed and replacement is too expensive - great for the environment - NOT!!!!

I wait for my invite from my Lexus dealer for a viewing and test drive with much interest and anticipation.

You also have to consider that an equivilent diesel car will have a turbo that may have to be change every 3 or 4 years, which hits the ecconomy quite hard.

I need to see it in the 'metal' and taking test drive before making a final decision. Looking at the way cars are going I am concerned over the potential for problems; being a 'member' of KISS society (Keep It Simple Stupid) I like things that are uncomplicated. In the UK high performing diesels currently get the sort of mpg that these hybrids get. I know that hybrids can drive on electric alone but only for a very short distance in most cases. The life of the battery and subsequent future battery replacement costs are a worry - how many of your modern mobile phones have had batteries go? - Too many!! I am aware of hybrids that are a decade old but what about when they get to 20+ years old? Will we then see cars having to be scrapped purely because the batteries have failed and replacement is too expensive - great for the environment - NOT!!!!

You also have to consider that an equivilent diesel car will have a turbo that may have to be change every 3 or 4 years, which hits the ecconomy quite hard.

And that modern diesels use an awful lot of technology to try to get their emissions down to even currently acceptable levels.