Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Would You Consider The Ct200H?

Steve

I need to see it in the 'metal' and taking test drive before making a final decision. Looking at the way cars are going I am concerned over the potential for problems; being a 'member' of KISS society (Keep It Simple Stupid) I like things that are uncomplicated. In the UK high performing diesels currently get the sort of mpg that these hybrids get. I know that hybrids can drive on electric alone but only for a very short distance in most cases. The life of the battery and subsequent future battery replacement costs are a worry - how many of your modern mobile phones have had batteries go? - Too many!! I am aware of hybrids that are a decade old but what about when they get to 20+ years old? Will we then see cars having to be scrapped purely because the batteries have failed and replacement is too expensive - great for the environment - NOT!!!!

I wait for my invite from my Lexus dealer for a viewing and test drive with much interest and anticipation.

You also have to consider that an equivilent diesel car will have a turbo that may have to be change every 3 or 4 years, which hits the ecconomy quite hard.

And that modern diesels use an awful lot of technology to try to get their emissions down to even currently acceptable levels.

And therefore unreliable, as per the numerous 220D posts!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You also have to consider that an equivilent diesel car will have a turbo that may have to be change every 3 or 4 years, which hits the ecconomy quite hard.

Odd. I've had my IS220 more nearly 5 years and the turbo hasn't blown up yet. In fact the car seems very reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised many people are buying them considering the reviews they are getting.

This site compiles them all, doesn't make for pretty reading - http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/Lexus-CT

Especially brave as no owners can have reviewed them yet, so no one really knows what the true mpg in real world conditions is.

You have to remember motoring journalists live in the past. They haven't quite understood yet where road transport is headed.

Having seen it in the metal both at Bluewater and at the Sidcup dealership (they have the first one in the country - I think) I am very impressed. However the key for me will be how it drives. My major reason for getting one is the benefit in kind of 10% and the comfort factor. Kylie is just a bonus

I have seen a CT200H at the dealers today, still with plastic wrapping on the inside and the wheels, just off the truck.

First impression is that of blandness and a sore disappointment to the eye compared to the concept drawings. It was black with black interior and looked very boring indeed. My advice to anyone getting one of these is get it in a bright colour and have a little fun. Big cars don't suit bright colours, but this would. It is not very striking at all and needs all the help it can get IMHO.

Interior has cues from the RX450h with the display and mouse combination. Passenger room in the back is adequate rather than generous.

I'm probably in a mood today though - as I don't feel that enthusiastic about the 60 plate RX450h loaner I have today. Prefer my RX400h for the money. May have a play with some more later on and see if I can feel more warmth towards them!

It not really a fair comparison from me though as I have not driven any BMWs, Mercs or Audis for years, so no benchmarks. However, I can't really see a reason to buy a CT over a hybrid Auris to be honest - they fulfil the same niche to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've ordered my CT200H - SEL-Premier model in white. Appreciate not everyone's cup of tea but I think it is a great looking car, definitely far better in the flesh than on the web etc. Not only that but as a company car it is going to be saving me £s in tax alone, never mind fuel (currently getting 34mpg if I'm lucky in my 220d). Everything else I have looked at comes no where near close to toys included, automatic (sort of) box, tax savings etc etc.

Cannot wait for its arrival - subject to the terrible events currently going on in Japan

Well, I've ordered my CT200H - SEL-Premier model in white. Appreciate not everyone's cup of tea but I think it is a great looking car, definitely far better in the flesh than on the web etc. Not only that but as a company car it is going to be saving me £s in tax alone, never mind fuel (currently getting 34mpg if I'm lucky in my 220d). Everything else I have looked at comes no where near close to toys included, automatic (sort of) box, tax savings etc etc.

Cannot wait for its arrival - subject to the terrible events currently going on in Japan

Couldnt agree more. Test drove went well yesterday and ordered ultra blue se-l premier today. Saving £320/month in tax staright in back pocket

Couldnt agree more. Test drove went well yesterday and ordered ultra blue se-l premier today. Saving £320/month in tax staright in back pocket

Yep despite its flaws for business users it is a no-brainer - and this is exactly what Lexus are aiming at.

I really liked the concept car styling so was disappointed with the final outcome.. However, I did see one on the road today near Lexus Hatfield, I deliberately slowed to let it by me, to be honest it looks better in the flesh.. but still nothing compare with its concept.

I was expecting Lexus to something special with the hybrid system, performance on tap (for when you need it) e.g. sub 10sec 0-60, decent 30-70 figures, whilst having good economy. I think they've failed on performance & styling but perhaps delivered on economy.

Was thinking about it for my wife.

As for me I'm sticking with my IS until the redesigned one comes out..

Overall, the CT easily beats the Audi 1.6/1.9 A3 Diesels but cannot for anything above or any of the BMW 1 series.. How can Lexus capture the young professional market.. Let's see how Lexus does with the CT in a years time..

Yep despite its flaws for business users it is a no-brainer - and this is exactly what Lexus are aiming at.

Yep, BIC savings here sold it - Placed the order this week SE L Preimer(had to have the folding mirrors) in Cadoxton Slate - woo hoo

Yep, BIC savings here sold it - Placed the order this week SE L Preimer(had to have the folding mirrors) in Cadoxton Slate - woo hoo

I totally agree, as a business purchase it's a no-brainer. Collected my SE-L Premier with ACC in Arctic Pearl from Lexus Woodford on Friday.

This is my first Lexus since IS200 that I changed for a Saab (then another Saab!) in 2004. Great to see that James Cook is still at Lexus Woodford and is now Service Manager as he is a great guy to deal with.

Very pleased with the car initially although ride quite firm even on the 16inch wheels that I chose.A different kind of driving but I did have a smile on my face yesterday when getting 49 mpg without even having learned how to drive it properly.

I like 'normal' mode which seems to be a good compromise, but 'sports' mode is fast enough for me, although not for everyone, of course!

Mark Levinson system is superb, but the SatNav needs a bit of learning!

So far, so good. I do miss my Saab but the CT200h is a sensible purchase even though it's not cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen a CT200H at the dealers today, still with plastic wrapping on the inside and the wheels, just off the truck.

First impression is that of blandness and a sore disappointment to the eye compared to the concept drawings. It was black with black interior and looked very boring indeed. My advice to anyone getting one of these is get it in a bright colour and have a little fun. Big cars don't suit bright colours, but this would. It is not very striking at all and needs all the help it can get IMHO.

Interior has cues from the RX450h with the display and mouse combination. Passenger room in the back is adequate rather than generous.

I'm probably in a mood today though - as I don't feel that enthusiastic about the 60 plate RX450h loaner I have today. Prefer my RX400h for the money. May have a play with some more later on and see if I can feel more warmth towards them!

It not really a fair comparison from me though as I have not driven any BMWs, Mercs or Audis for years, so no benchmarks. However, I can't really see a reason to buy a CT over a hybrid Auris to be honest - they fulfil the same niche to me.

UPDATE

Just had a CT as a courtesy car for 4 days whilst my RX was in dry dock. Absolutely loved the CT in the end! Its a good drive.

Whilst it may be a bit of a bland looking car from the outside, the interior is spacious, homely and up to date. Not a rattle or squeak, nice sat nav system. My only gripe is the electronic "gear selector". It takes a little getting used to because of its return to home position, and only being able to tell what "gear" the car is in from the lights on the dash. That is counter intuitive to me. Otherwise a great little car - returned 46 mpg with a mix of town and motorway driving. The range topping car is alot of money though. If spending £32K on a car like the baby Lexus, I would rather spend the extra £8K to get more car around the £40K mark (Jaguar XF 3.0D is better value for that extra for instance). I think if you get the bottom or middle range models, they are better value.

WOuld I have one? Yes.

I also had one as courtesy car, but only for a day and c. 40 miles.

First impression very good. Apart from trying to drive on motorway in Eco mode and having to get my size 11's rather high alongside the bulkhead for the parking brake, I thought it drove well and really looks good on the road. 46 mpg on mix - my IS220 would have done about 36 on same run.

Interior spacious for a mid size car - which is what it is - and compares well with IS.

I will seriously consider one when time comes to change.

nope. wouldn't buy one simply because it's a hatchback. saw one in the flesh a few days ago, and the front is nice, the interior is good, but the rear is incredibly ugly to me. it just doesn't fit the rest of the car. should have been more like the IS.

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen one of these in the flesh I have to admit it's not quite as bad looking as I thought - still think the rear is the problem point but it's not nearly as hideous as it looks in pictures.

Don't really want one as it's not my kind of car, but it's a decent alternative to the other similar hatchbacks out there. None of them have an interior as nice as the Lexus.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw one of these on the road today and was extremely impressed with the car in the flesh. Would obviously have to drive it, but thought it certainly stood out in terms of appearance. Many of the current Lexus's seem to look better in the flesh than in photos. The metallic blue was really flattering.

I've had a CT200h twice now as a courtesy car. I liked it but the width in the rear for 3 passengers and the size of the boot would make it less than practical for us. The boot does at least have a large under-floor storage compartment that some might miss which does help a bit. Also it was a bit slow and I only averaged about 55mpg. On the plus side I like the styling, it was comfortable and the handling was good. The ride was smoother than I expected on the 17" wheels. If Lexus ever get around to a hybrid IS then I might be interested.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be changing my car next year and I am in the Lexus traget group .... I drive an Audi A3 Sportback which I have owned from new since March '07.

The new A3 is due for release around spring 2012, but I am very interested in the CT too, mainly due to the Hybrid technology. I am not fully convinced by its looks yet, but I really love the look of the interior.

My main concern is the ride as I am a bit of a stickler for a good ride. My A3 is an SE & it too rides on 17" wheels, but it maanges to provide a very smooth and comfortable ride. Does the CT ride as bad all the reviews are making out? I notice someone on this forum said the ride is better with the 16" wheels, but not by much.

I am hoping to get to my local dealer soon for a test drive, but I feel I would like to have it more than the usual couple of hours you normally get.

I will be changing my car next year and I am in the Lexus traget group .... I drive an Audi A3 Sportback which I have owned from new since March '07.

The new A3 is due for release around spring 2012, but I am very interested in the CT too, mainly due to the Hybrid technology. I am not fully convinced by its looks yet, but I really love the look of the interior.

My main concern is the ride as I am a bit of a stickler for a good ride. My A3 is an SE & it too rides on 17" wheels, but it maanges to provide a very smooth and comfortable ride. Does the CT ride as bad all the reviews are making out? I notice someone on this forum said the ride is better with the 16" wheels, but not by much.

I am hoping to get to my local dealer soon for a test drive, but I feel I would like to have it more than the usual couple of hours you normally get.

I test drove both the 16" and 17" wheels and yes the ride on the 16" was a bit softer. However, I still went with the 17" as I personally preferred them and I am no boy-racer - I like my creature comforts. I personally thought the 16" wheels felt a bit 'marshmallowy' if you get my meaning. I was told by the dealer (so read into it what you like) that the reviews were mostly written based on driving non-finalised cars and so the rides were not the same as the cars being sold now. In any case, yes, the ride is firmer than my RX400h (but then what isn't??) but it is perfectly comfortable, though admittedly I have only had it 2 days :) I once test drove a Mercedes SLK and the CT is nowhere near as firm as that was.

I test drove both the 16" and 17" wheels and yes the ride on the 16" was a bit softer. However, I still went with the 17" as I personally preferred them and I am no boy-racer - I like my creature comforts. I personally thought the 16" wheels felt a bit 'marshmallowy' if you get my meaning. I was told by the dealer (so read into it what you like) that the reviews were mostly written based on driving non-finalised cars and so the rides were not the same as the cars being sold now. In any case, yes, the ride is firmer than my RX400h (but then what isn't??) but it is perfectly comfortable, though admittedly I have only had it 2 days :) I once test drove a Mercedes SLK and the CT is nowhere near as firm as that was.

Thank you for your speedy reply.

Your comment about the ride of press cars is something which I thought may of been the case too. It's good to hear that you are pleased with the ride and I am sure it looks better on the 17's too. Like you I am no speed demon at all, I just like comfort :)

Just need to pop in and see it in the metal.

Thank you once again.

Thank you for your speedy reply.

Your comment about the ride of press cars is something which I thought may of been the case too. It's good to hear that you are pleased with the ride and I am sure it looks better on the 17's too. Like you I am no speed demon at all, I just like comfort :)

Just need to pop in and see it in the metal.

Thank you once again.

No probs, happy to help. Just ask if you have any other questions.

Yippee my 4 day demonstrator arrives today

Really, how come you got it for 4 days? Are you a previous Toyota/Lexus owner?

Four days would be ideal to really try the car out in all the 'normal' road conditions we drive in :unsure:

Have a great 4 days :)

Company car demonstrator, and as they haven't sent the model I ordered, as it had a damaged wheel have agreed another one in July. :-). Even though I've placed my order. 45mile trip a1 and b roads 59mpg, with Some sport mode

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links