Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help, New Water Pump Leaking

Help please.

I just changed the water pump (+ gasket) along with the cam-belt, tensioner and idler on my car a few days ago as it's done almost 100k and has not been done.

After putting the new water pump and cam-belt kit on every thing was running OK except the water pump was leaking a bit (from about a drop every 5 second to about 10 drops a second) round the seal. So I changed the gasket and put some sealant round the new gasket and tried again but the new water pump is still leaking. Now I don’t know what to do, do I buy another sealant and try again or put the old water pump back on as it was not in such a bad condition. The water pump was not a official Lexus part.

Thanks for any help.

Firstly why did you change the water pump? was it leaking? or did you just follow the many posts on here that say change it with the timing/cambelt/. Water pump and cam belt are not related one to the other no need to change one because of the other. one can be changed with out even disturbing the other. i recently changed my water pump with out even removing the lower timing covers let alone removing the timing belt. i been a mechanic 21 ish years and never ever changed parts on the basis your there so you might as well. (especially as the water pumps about £80)

Secondly are you certain its the water pump leaking? as long as you cleaned the block and used sealer like you said you have theres no reason it should leak. think you have another leak not the water pump. THe water may be dripping of the pump but are you certain its not running from somewhere above or behind it.

Back to my first point, simple rule of thumb if it aint broke dont fix it. Its dealers that start these things of "ooo might as well change it while were in there" "would be a shame not to do it while its half out". why not chnage the covers while there off as well oh and a new crank pully to. Do you change your coils every time you change your plugs ?? why not, youve took them off might as well. If the parts are related and dependant on each other then yes change the lot. No point just changing a friction plate on a clutch. nopoint fitting a timing belt and not tensioners they need each other to work correctly so change as a set. But why people change the water pump with a timing belt is beyond me. not on the Is 200 anyway.

Firstly why did you change the water pump? was it leaking? or did you just follow the many posts on here that say change it with the timing/cambelt/. Water pump and cam belt are not related one to the other no need to change one because of the other. one can be changed with out even disturbing the other. i recently changed my water pump with out even removing the lower timing covers let alone removing the timing belt. i been a mechanic 21 ish years and never ever changed parts on the basis your there so you might as well. (especially as the water pumps about £80)

Secondly are you certain its the water pump leaking? as long as you cleaned the block and used sealer like you said you have theres no reason it should leak. think you have another leak not the water pump. THe water may be dripping of the pump but are you certain its not running from somewhere above or behind it.

Back to my first point, simple rule of thumb if it aint broke dont fix it. Its dealers that start these things of "ooo might as well change it while were in there" "would be a shame not to do it while its half out". why not chnage the covers while there off as well oh and a new crank pully to. Do you change your coils every time you change your plugs ?? why not, youve took them off might as well. If the parts are related and dependant on each other then yes change the lot. No point just changing a friction plate on a clutch. nopoint fitting a timing belt and not tensioners they need each other to work correctly so change as a set. But why people change the water pump with a timing belt is beyond me. not on the Is 200 anyway.

l Iike this reply!!! :backofnet:

I assumed, like a lot of ppl,that you had to remove the pulleys and the timing cover to get at the water pump and that the water pump is a consumable. If you can access the water pump directly then clearly it is a nonsense to replace it if it is not faulty. Excellent post that could collectively save members £1,000's