Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Watertight Is Kwik Fit Guarantee?

marcomck

Hi guys,

last year I got the front brake pads and discs replace by kwik-fit. They gave me that guarantee thing where it said all parts and labour is guaranteed a lifetime.

Dont know how you can guarantee brake pads a lifetime???

anyhow, my rear ones have now gone - and i brought it to a local garage who; looking at all wheels said i needed them all replaced (shoes & discs), i explained the fronts were done last year, and they showed me the front discs and shoes, which were pretty well worn and some grinding had started on the disc also.

So I'm thinking of taking this up with knik-fit........ surely they should have lasted longer than a year no matter how you drive (i'm not particularly agressive).

What do you think? am i wasting my time?

thanks

The timescale, rather oddly, is irrelevant in terms of a "lifetime" as the part in this case the brake pads and discs wear according to use which is a combination of the number of miles driven and the frequency and speeds used. The manufacturer of the brakes would have a good idea of the extremes for this. So if the manufacturer says for example 20K miles normal wear but only 10K aggressive driving and you have only done 5K, then I would say you have a good case. But if you have done 15K then proving you are not an aggressive driver would be near impossible and if you have done 25K then forget it.

As always read the small print as most of these "warranties/guarantees" tend not to be worth the paper they are printed on.

Of course there are other factors that might be in play such as poor fitting in the first place, dirt between pads and plate causing scoring, and possibly a host of other things.

no life time means life time but to get out it the will tell you a piston/slide was seized theirfor invalidating the warranty....

why do you need your rear shoes replaced?they never wear as they are only use to hold the car not for braking!!

Quote from the KF website

"Kwik Fit guarantees purchased brake pads or shoes against accidental damage, wear and defects for as long as you own your car, provided you authorise all work identified as being required, during or at any future brake inspection."

In other words if for example you have a seized caliper pin this will have to be authorised to be replaced before they replace the pads under the lifetime warranty,this will probably mean a new caliper complete,note the words "all work" this could mean tyres,exhausts really anything KF do that could be deemed faulty.

Conclusion.... yes they will replace your pads under the life time warranty but before they do you will also need as it is "identified as being required" 5 new tyres,a complete exhaust system,new alternator and Battery.

Hmmmmmm

You don't say how many miles you have done since they replaced them and whether they used good quality parts.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's got to be worth a try. Take it back and when they try and tell you something else has gone show them the independent inspection that just pads / shoes and discs nee replacing. See what they say.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links