Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Upgrading From 400H To 450H

After 5 years of thoroughly enjoyable driving of the 400h and no apparent competitor I am considering now taking the plunge and going for the 450H. A few questions for those who have the 450H

Im considering the SEi, seems the best value for money and I cant see anything in the superior spec models that really appeals. Any comments.

Whats the discount structure, is it realistic these days to get 8-10% off or has that all changed?

I use my Iphone considerably when im on the move and I have a useless Vaitech interface, is the Lexus version any good, for example can you select an audiobook or a single track easily?

Anyoneaware of a dashmount/charging kit?

Thanks

After 5 years of thoroughly enjoyable driving of the 400h and no apparent competitor I am considering now taking the plunge and going for the 450H. A few questions for those who have the 450H

Im considering the SEi, seems the best value for money and I cant see anything in the superior spec models that really appeals. Any comments.

Whats the discount structure, is it realistic these days to get 8-10% off or has that all changed?

I use my iphone considerably when im on the move and I have a useless Vaitech interface, is the Lexus version any good, for example can you select an audiobook or a single track easily?

Thanks

I'd suggest paying the extra to get the next model up as you get air suspension as the standard suspension is a bit choppy on bumpy roads. The air suspension and the better leather are about the only worth while extras from the more expensive model but the air suspension I would put as must have.

Can't speak for Iphone connectivity but I can speak about the broadly identical iPod connectivity as I have an 80 Gb iPod classic full to the brim with music. It works really well apart from one problem, there is no search either by letter or the preferable option of partial & full name search. How much of a problem the lack of search makes to you is purely down to how many albums/artists you have; I have hundreds of both types and it makes finding anything a real chore as I have to scroll down a page at a time, and a page holds about 10 items, I've taken to creating an on the go playlist on the iPod and then connecting it to the Lexus.

The big problem I can forsee if you want to use a dash mounted stand for your Iphone is that the USB socket is under the armrest, you'd need to do a bit of work to feed a cable round without it showing to the dash, the upside is that the USB socket would charge your phone and act as the interface so you'd only need a suitable cradle. However I'm not sure you'd want a cradle as all the track and call information is clearly displayed on the 10" screen in the dash, you don't need to touch the phone/iPod once the car is started, I keep mine under the armrest.

I use my iphone considerably when im on the move and I have a useless Vaitech interface, is the Lexus version any good, for example can you select an audiobook or a single track easily?

Thanks

I changed from a Rx400h to a 450h last month and I am very pleased with the new car. Following comments may help

Good points of 450h

1) No more stupid requirement to have to agree to that lawyer babble before you can get the nav screen working

2) Parking sensors are useful. Never had them before but the system works well

3) Split screen nav facility is very good when you are in unfamiliar territory

4) Fuel consumption is interesting. I got about 34 mpg on the 400h but seem to be returning 38 - 39 mpg on the 450h. On recent run using tank full to tank full it returned 42mpg. This is all very style dependant but I'm no slouch.

5) Wing mirrors auto fold and keyless entry.

Poor points.

1) Nokia n85 phone which worked perfectly on 400h refuses to couple to the 450h. List of compatible phones can be found on Lexus website. I don't understand why this is so difficult to get to work correctly

2) Left armrest has gone and cetral console is a bit bulky and less ergonomic for my shape

3) No much room with spare tyre for bits and pieces and tyre is the 'emergency' type

4) no sun roof

I can't tell the difference between the ride of the 450h and the old 400h so air suspensionis not an issue for me.

As I did a trade in I cannot comment on the question of discounts but my impression is that they are modest 5% max? there also seems to be a fair wait (10 weeks) for new vehicles to a particular spec.

Conclusion... If you like the 400h you will be pleased with the 450h but it is slightly different. Higher spec than the one you are thinking of doesn't do anything for me.

Hope this helps