Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all.

Noted water in spare wheel well a few months ago when I had new tyres but left a cure until next service. By then, there was a lot of water shipping in during heavy rain when the car was standing. It went in last week for inspection - and an anticipated cure under warranty - but my dealer reckons it has had a bad repair done on back end, which was before I had it; if indeed it has.

Questions has been raised with dealer I purchased from - it was a garage owned demonstrator - but I have had a good look today. I'm not convinced they are correct as water trail seems to suggest leaking through boot lid seal or covers around boot. With heavy rain forecast this week looks like I will be busy baling out.

Anyone else has similar problem?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Noted water in spare wheel well a few months ago when I had new tyres but left a cure until next service. By then, there was a lot of water shipping in during heavy rain when the car was standing. It went in last week for inspection - and an anticipated cure under warranty - but my dealer reckons it has had a bad repair done on back end, which was before I had it; if indeed it has.

Questions has been raised with dealer I purchased from - it was a garage owned demonstrator - but I have had a good look today. I'm not convinced they are correct as water trail seems to suggest leaking through boot lid seal or covers around boot. With heavy rain forecast this week looks like I will be busy baling out.

Anyone else has similar problem?

Hi Steve_L. Although not directly relating to your spare wheel well, I have noticed, after having a thorough inspection of my boot on the is250 sel, that having removed the plastic tray to the left in the corner, there was mud which had sprayed up from the wheel arch. I then discovered there is a plastic moulded box lower down which when feeling around I found a flap of rubber which opens outwards exposing the wheel arch to the ground! I cannot understand what this could be for. Does anybody know? If its for cables, why would you run them on the outside exposed to all the weather? The discovery now leads me to think that a lot of ROAD NOISE is coming through this hole in the boot. Is there one on the opposite side as well? I could not see at the time due to the position of what looks like the camera box of tricks. If water spray is entering the boot through this opening regularly, it can't do the panel in this area any good. I'm little disappointed that I've found this, which unless someone can explain its purpose, leads me to think that this is manufacturing/design fault. Are we only supposed to drive our cars on dry days? What if I use the jet wash under the wheel arch? Will I get a boot full of water? If I do...I'll let you all know.

Sounds like a few potential openings, which I will ask the workshop to look at when it goes in this week.

As all sports fans, especially golfers, will know, we had a bit of rain in South Wales over last few days. Surprising that not much of it made its way into my boot. Fingers crossed for a cure.

I did read to look out for blocked drain plug holes from the sunroof runners which will let water into the boot? Could've been for IS200/300 though....

Will try and find the thread I read it in.....edit pending

Heres the Link it was for the IS200 but there may be design similarities so worth checking out.

Just trying to be helpful really.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update my last post. The holes mentioned are not actually through to the wheel arch. It seems on further investigation that there is one on each side behind the wheel arch and in the area towards the rear of the car. I can only assume these are for some sort of ventilation of the boot area. But why? Is it because of condensation problems in the boot? What are they for? Can anyone tell me?