Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox And Clutch

lexuspalma

My gear box has been whining for a while now but so far have had no problems till recently. The gears are starting to clunk more when changing and there is a clicking sound when I dab the throttle or changing gear. It does sound like its coming from the box or could it be something else?

Also. My clutch is squeeking like crazy when i put it in and out. I read on here that I need to grease up the clutch cylinder to stop the noise. I've have done this twice now using different kinds of grease and it lasts about a day then the squeek comes back. Is there a special grease to use like copper grease?

With my gearbox I was thinking of changing it. I have been on thw web and have received quotes for recon boxes. Around 250 quid. Is this a good deal. Also has anyone done this before and how reliable are the recon boxes.

Thanks

for any replies

My gear box has been whining for a while now but so far have had no problems till recently. The gears are starting to clunk more when changing and there is a clicking sound when I dab the throttle or changing gear. It does sound like its coming from the box or could it be something else?

Also. My clutch is squeeking like crazy when i put it in and out. I read on here that I need to grease up the clutch cylinder to stop the noise. I've have done this twice now using different kinds of grease and it lasts about a day then the squeek comes back. Is there a special grease to use like copper grease?

With my gearbox I was thinking of changing it. I have been on thw web and have received quotes for recon boxes. Around 250 quid. Is this a good deal. Also has anyone done this before and how reliable are the recon boxes.

Thanks

for any replies

1) the squeeking is coming from the ball that the clutch fork sits on mate

2)leave the box alone no point in changing if theirs sod all wrong with it(make sure theirs something wrong with it first)

3)release bearing could be whining also sounds like your clutch is worn thats why its clunking and the clicking could be the dues mass flywheel coming to the end of its life....

Thanks

for any replies

2)leave the box alone no point in changing if theirs sod all wrong with it(make sure theirs something wrong with it first)

3)release bearing could be whining also sounds like your clutch is worn thats why its clunking and the clicking could be the dues mass flywheel coming to the end of its life....

So this clunking noise is completely normal and there's nothing wrong with the car at all??

Thanks

for any replies

So this clunking noise is completely normal and there's nothing wrong with the car at all??

see section 3

Thanks

for any replies

Hey Ormi

Thanks for the advice.

Is there anything I can do with the ball that sits on the clutch fork?

How easy is it to change the release bearing. It whines from 1st to 4th and in 6th.

Also would you suggest to buy original clutch and mass flywheel or buy aftermarket parts.

I'm taking the car to a mechanic that my mates recomended. Hopefully he will sort out the problems and let me supply the parts. Will be a lot cheaper. He will also set up the car properly with the set up sent by WIM.

Fingers crossed. It all goes well. Can't live without the car!

My car makes a similar 'clunking noise' when changing from 1st into 2nd and sometimes 3rd, depends how I move the gearstick. Is this typical of a worn clutch? What sort of price is a clutch to replace? Got an 80k service coming up so would like to do most of it myself to keep costs down.

Any help would be great, cheers.

Just got back from the mechanics. We went for a test drive and he realised the problem. He did say that with the work involved changing the bearing it would be cheaper to buy a recon gearbox from the UK. He quoted 220 quid for the time to take the old one out and fit the new one. Alot cheaper than I thought. I'm thinking of replacing the fly wheel and clutch so that everything is new and have no more whining and clunking..

He also said there wouldn't be a problem in setting the car up so there's another bonus.

All I've go to do now is find the company with the best quote and has the best reputation.

Just got back from the mechanics. We went for a test drive and he realised the problem. He did say that with the work involved changing the bearing it would be cheaper to buy a recon gearbox from the UK. He quoted 220 quid for the time to take the old one out and fit the new one. Alot cheaper than I thought. I'm thinking of replacing the fly wheel and clutch so that everything is new and have no more whining and clunking..

He also said there wouldn't be a problem in setting the car up so there's another bonus.

All I've go to do now is find the company with the best quote and has the best reputation.

i would go phone the factors and get a solid flywheel as the duel mass is very expensive £600 approx..

all you need to do is grease the ball the fork sits on(box out)

i have done a clutch and fly wheel change on one of these in less than 1.5 hours very easy to do

i would go phone the factors and get a solid flywheel as the duel mass is very expensive £600 approx..

all you need to do is grease the ball the fork sits on(box out)

i have done a clutch and fly wheel change on one of these in less than 1.5 hours very easy to do

Thanks for the advice. Will sort everything out by th end of the month. Will keep you guys updated

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links