Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Clutch Time. Which One? How Much To Fit?

~Hi all,

new clutch time for my IS.

just looking at a few on fleabay seen this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PERFORMANCE-ORGANIC-CLUTCH-KIT-LEXUS-IS200-ALTEZZA-2-0-/330380103513?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cec304f59

which states is a performance organic something or other? is that good?

Or, this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS200-2-0-ORIGINAL-EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT-NEW-/300360015627?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45eeda1f0b

that's an Exedy one- nothing fancy but a trusted make.

Any ideas which one i should go for?

Im getting it done at a small independent garage which i have used before. What price do you think is reasonable ? Im thinking along the lines of 3-4 hours job so £150? £200?

the book time for the clutch is 2.5 hours mate...

nice one ormi, just phoned my good pla Dave and hes gonna fit it for £80 :) bargain!

oh and Kam, thanks for that pal, didnt see that one for cheaper- even more of a bargain - i owe you a drink mate ! :)

UPDATE:

Well just phoned that place u put me on to Kam and the guys a legend, even offered to ship it out for Saturday delivery.

Got her booked in for next friday costing £120 - so total of £285 for a new clutch fitted isn't bad at all :)

Nice one...good to hear that

Out of interest, how many miles has your car done? Mines done 138.5k and its still on the original clutch- no signs of wearing out...

Nice one...good to hear that

Out of interest, how many miles has your car done? Mines done 138.5k and its still on the original clutch- no signs of wearing out...

mines only done 91,000 - last time I had a service (lexus Coventry in february) they said although the clutch is fine, the release bearing is making a racket.

they didn't advise changing it, but not here in September the release bearing is squeaking almost all the time through 1, 2nd and 3rd.

and last thursday its slipped on me, so ive just decided to change it.

My last IS had 137,000 on still on original clutch, I guess you just never know who has owned it before you :tsktsk:

was just too light mate. and i killed the clutch very quickly with normal driving would stick with exedy

I bought the exedy on other reccomendations, luckily Kam sent me a link for a good deal £165 delivered - getting it fitted on friday.

Along with oil and filter change, she will drive like new *fingers crosses :)

Thanks anyway Asi :)

hi guys,

just a quick one - can anyone please advise what are the symptoms of a clutch on its way out?

would this affect the gears? i.e. harder to put into gear and clunky?

advice appreciated.

ta

Izzy

In my case the release bearing started to squeal really badly. and it slipped once or twice. You can just replace the release bearing if its just that thats gone, but for £165 for the whole thing its not worth messing about with.

A big thanks to Kam for finding the cheaper Exedy clutch and all other recoomendations, she runs like new now.

just one problem though - my gear stick is way over to the left (as in nearly hitting the handbrake) any ideas folks? everything functions fine, and im tempted to leave it - unless someone knows it may cause damage whatever it is?

Thanks,

Lloyd

A big thanks to Kam for finding the cheaper Exedy clutch and all other recoomendations, she runs like new now.

just one problem though - my gear stick is way over to the left (as in nearly hitting the handbrake) any ideas folks? everything functions fine, and im tempted to leave it - unless someone knows it may cause damage whatever it is?

Thanks,

Lloyd

The gearstick has been put back in the wrong way if its hitting the handbrake- take it back and get the garage to take the gearstick out and fit it the right way round.

Thanks,

Lloyd

The gearstick has been put back in the wrong way if its hitting the handbrake- take it back and get the garage to take the gearstick out and fit it the right way round.

Do they have a slight angle on then? its my friend whos done it, hes never worked on one of these before, so i dont wanna be funny about it.

is it much of job do you know mate?

Thanks,

Lloyd

Do they have a slight angle on then? its my friend whos done it, hes never worked on one of these before, so i dont wanna be funny about it.

is it much of job do you know mate?

You can actually re-fit it yourself, mate. Unscrew the gearknob, pull up the gaitor and you should see some 10mm bolts (I think?) Undo these and pull out the gearstick and put it in the right way. The gearstick should lean towards the driver when in netural.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just needed some advice off the back of this post - my clutch release bearing rattles occasionally - but the clutch seems to be fine, in that it does'nt slip and still pulls fairly strong and i dont appear to have any problems selecting gears. I guess my questions is to do with the clutch pedal feel - i've owned the car for around four years and it feels slightly heavier...is the clutch generally heavy??...

Should i budget for a new clutch?

Also car has done 108k on original clutch - ( so far !!)

Thanks...