Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic Doors Locking

I have studied the forum on this subject but can't really find the answer! I have a 55 plate RX400h SE. Has anyone with this year model actually managed to set the doors to automatically lock after the car reaches 5 - 10 mph? If yes, how did you do it? My dealer thinks this option was not introduced until about 2008.

Regards Linehill

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is, to save you looking through the instructions...

KEYS AND DOORS

Automatic door locking and unlocking functions

AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCKING

You can select the following functions:

Locking linked with the shift position

All doors are automatically locked when the selector lever is moved out of “P” position.

Locking linked with vehicle speed

All doors are automatically locked when the vehicle speed goes above about 20 km/h (12 mph).

You can set or cancel the automatic door locking

functions:

Be sure to apply the parking brake when performing the

following operations.

To select the locking linked with the shift position:

1. Close all doors and turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position.

2. Shift the selector lever to the “P” position.

3. Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition switch to the “ON” position, press and hold the driver’s side power door lock switch in the lock position for 5 seconds and then release.

The doors will be locked and unlocked to indicate that the

function is set.

To cancel the function, do the above operation again.

To select the locking linked with the vehicle speed:

1. Close all doors and turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position.

2. Shift the selector lever from “P” to the ”N” position.

3. Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition switch to the “ON” position, press and hold the driver’s side power door lock switch in the lock position for 5 seconds and then release.

The doors will be locked and unlocked to indicate that the function is set.

To cancel the function, do the above operation again.

I tried it and it doesn't work on mine.

Same with my RX400h, 55 plate. I think we will have to remember to manually lock the doors! My dealer thinks that when this system of auto locking doors started some years ago with Mercedes,BMW etc, the emergency services stated that this could prove fatal in bad accidents as they would not be able to open the doors externally. Mercedes and BMW, and I beleive the new Lexus models will unlock the doors automatically if the air bags go off. This may explain why our early RX400 do not have the auto locking option. If that is the case how would they open our internally locked doors in an accident?

Anyone got any more ideas on this subject?

Linehill

Mercedes and BMW, and I beleive the new Lexus models will unlock the doors automatically if the air bags go off. This may explain why our early RX400 do not have the auto locking option. If that is the case how would they open our internally locked doors in an accident?

Linehill

That seems likely to me too. My 2005 Merc SLK has this as a switchable option (no silly combinations, just menu on the screen!). There have been similar debates on civinfo.com which I also look at because I have a Civic as a company car, and the locking option was discontinued. All that said, the giant snippers the fire people use can get a roof of in seconds, but if that takes 15 minutes longer than the paramedic to arrive then it might be too late. However, since many people lock their doors the old-fashioned way (and use rear-door child locks) I cannot see what litigation Lexus are seeking to avoid, as that is surely the only reason for this paranoia.

• 1 year later...

I have tried this on a 2005 RX400 but can't seem to get the autolock feature to work. Can anybody clarify whether this means my car doesn't have the facility or I just need to visit a dealer to program it. Its the first car I have owned in a long time that doesn't autolock the doors when driving and I have kinda got used to having it. Unfortunately my wife was involved in an attempted car-jacking recently so I do want to make sure the doors are locked when she is driving. Her own car has this function so it would be easy to forget to manually engage the locks when changing cars.

Perhaps I am not following the instruction properly, I am using the central locking switch on the drivers door that controls all the door locking not just the individual drivers door lock.

Thanks.

08 rx400h here and instructions work just fine. Got it linked to speed and gear position.

Hi, can I check how you are performing the procedure. I have tried pushing the locking button (for all 4 doors) on the drivers door for 5 seconds, then releasing it, nothing happens.

I can't remember the exact instructions I followed but I found them on this forum. I had to try them two or three times before it worked. I remember timing being very important. You had to ensure that the gear lever etc is in the right position and the lock button is pressed within 5 seconds of turning the ignition key.

• 1 year later...

• 1 month later...

I tried it and it doesn't work on mine.

Same with my RX400h, 55 plate. I think we will have to remember to manually lock the doors! My dealer thinks that when this system of auto locking doors started some years ago with Mercedes,BMW etc, the emergency services stated that this could prove fatal in bad accidents as they would not be able to open the doors externally. Mercedes and BMW, and I beleive the new Lexus models will unlock the doors automatically if the air bags go off. This may explain why our early RX400 do not have the auto locking option. If that is the case how would they open our internally locked doors in an accident?

Linehill

I can assure you that a locked door will not delay the Emergency Services for very long. Indeed, it doesn't take much of an impact to distort the chassis enough to jam the doors closed even if they are unlocked. They carry the equipment needed to prise a door open forcibly if necessary. If the door is too badly damaged to open, they can have the roof off in no time.

I speak from experience as a badly injured rescuee.

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links