Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Should I Buy One?

Wow, your car looks just superb ................ just don't squash it anywhere will you !

So, what was the final total cost ? Whatever it was it's not going to be alot of money for what would pass for a brand new car. And only 50,000 miles ?

Malc

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys for all the comments, haven;t been online for a few days...been out driving :whistling:

I've done about 900 miles now since geeting the car on Thursday, and it really is fantastic. I've gone over it in detail and I have to say the condition of the car even surprises me, and I'm really picky! It could easily pass as a couple of years old.

Absolutely everything works pefectly and as it should (except the Sat-nav which I come to later!). The car belonged to gentleman who had it from 2003 (and covered 20,000 miles in that time), and has all the MOT;s, and service records to Substanciate the miles. The paintwork is original apart from perhaps the lower half of the rear bumper (it could have been pre-delivery rectification a if the bumper actually has been painted its very hard to tell. 3 marks on the car - one tiny stone chip on bonnet, one tiny 1/4 inch mark on o/s rear door (which will polish out), and a very small 1/4 inch scuff on the lower edge of the plastic moulding on the drivers door which I needed to get down on my hands and knees to see. The worst part is that 2 of the alloys have started to corrode under the paint finish, so I'm getting all 4 of them refurbished this week.

Mechanically the only '??' I have is a front wheel bearing (I think o/s) which I'll have to check out in the next day or two.

Keep you posted!

All the best

Alan

Oh...the sat-nav:

Doesn't work anywhere in Ireland - I.e doesn't find location on map, and doesn't have any destination names....which is a little strange as we live in the UK (Niethern Ireland), which means anyone who bought one brand new here could get the sat-nav working (might be a little disappointing from a car that cost over £55k new).

Unless I'm doing something wrong?

Oh...the sat-nav:

Doesn't work anywhere in Ireland - I.e doesn't find location on map, and doesn't have any destination names....which is a little strange as we live in the UK (Niethern Ireland), which means anyone who bought one brand new here could get the sat-nav working (might be a little disappointing from a car that cost over £55k new).

Unless I'm doing something wrong?

MMM me thinks they didn't think about that in Japan, Looks a fantastic car well done, I very much doubt you have a wheel bearing problem on that mileage 200k + is normally still OK.

Hi Alan, You're gonna love you're new car, mine still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, actually before that-even when I open the door and get a whiff of the trim!! I've just done the cambelt on my 99' Series 4 LS400, the interval according to Autodata is 63k miles or 7 years (whichevers the sooner), mine had one at 42k and has now done 103k, the belt I took off looked brand new still! I've had 2 Series 3's beforehand and did the cambelt on one of them too, the vvti (like mine and yours is a little easier than the earlier one-no distributor caps, leads etc), everyone makes a fuss about what a job they are, well Autodata give 2.8hrs, I guess if you did them regularly you could do it in that time, I'm an ex mechanic who's now disabled so I did it (and changed the plugs) over a day (with plenty of breaks!), any competent mechanic could do the belt no problem, they're a nice job actually, unless you drop something you can do it all from the top, just jack it up or use a ramp to save your backache!! Get the mechanic to follow the instructions from Autodata, you need to measure then compress and lock the tensioner for reassembly, but it's really straightforward, so much nicer than most front-wheel drive cars when the cambelt is all squished down against the inner wing! I've never removed the radiators, just drain the coolant (replace with genuine Toyota red coolant) otherwise you disturb the gearbox cooler pipes, japaneese radiators can get quite fragile over the years, check the condition of the water pump and idlers, a friend who's a technician at our local Lexus dealer guaranteed I wouldn't need to change any of them....he was right, they all felt absolutely perfect, there really would have been no point.

If I can give any more advice feel free to ask, I think the genuine belt which comes with reminder sticker and enough coolant (10 litres I think) came to around £50 trade, but it won't be much more retail I think they gave me about 8-9% off!