Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tom's Exhaust Barrel

Hi,

I just got the Tom's Exhaust barrel:

TOMs%20is250%20exhaust.jpg

It should be be a very quiet exhaust, but it seems like it does drone from 1500-2500rpm. I have got the Auto IS250 and the gearbox just want the engine running in the 1500-2500 range under normal driving, so this result into even more drone while applying the gas by a little bit. So i am now driving in S mode (select gear by myself) so the drone is less. By I drive a lot, so if I cannot get rid of the drone I will put by the stock one back.

Does someone know if I did something wrong? Should it be so noticeable? how can I reduce the noise? My car already has extra insulation like Dynamat stuff everywhere. Stock exhaust will result into 59/60 Decibel @ 60mph and 63db @ 80mph. Stock is250 produces 65/66 db @ 60mph and 68db @ 80mph. So my car is already very quiet compared to a stock is250.

Thanks

Alan

Yeah, you are right, it suppose to be designed for the Manual I think... How many persons here do have the Tom's Exhaust?

The noise is just a little bit too much for my, but it seems to be one of the quietest one. Might be me who is finding it noisy.

Yeah, you are right, it suppose to be designed for the Manual I think... How many persons here do have the Tom's Exhaust?

The noise is just a little bit too much for my, but it seems to be one of the quietest one. Might be me who is finding it noisy.

I've had the stainless steel Tanabe Medallion Touring on my IS250 SE-L Auto for the last four years, and it has a drone around 2000 rpm, which is different than the stock. I like the sound of it tbh and do not really notice it any more. I don't believe any of these systems are designed specifically for the auto or the manual, just as the OEM stock system is exactly the same for manual or auto.

dsc01457o.jpg

Hi,

I just got the Tom's Exhaust barrel:

It should be be a very quiet exhaust, but it seems like it does drone from 1500-2500rpm. I have got the Auto IS250 and the gearbox just want the engine running in the 1500-2500 range under normal driving, so this result into even more drone while applying the gas by a little bit. So i am now driving in S mode (select gear by myself) so the drone is less. By I drive a lot, so if I cannot get rid of the drone I will put by the stock one back.

Does someone know if I did something wrong? Should it be so noticeable? how can I reduce the noise? My car already has extra insulation like Dynamat stuff everywhere. Stock exhaust will result into 59/60 Decibel @ 60mph and 63db @ 80mph. Stock is250 produces 65/66 db @ 60mph and 68db @ 80mph. So my car is already very quiet compared to a stock is250.

Sound deadening is a difficult subject and dB measurements are unreliable because of the predominant road noise transmitted through the body. The exhaust drone that annoys you could either be the note that comes out of the tailpipes or directly coupled through the mountings. If it is coupled, you could try temporarily suspending the rear sections by soft bungees (until the heat gets them) to see if that improves things - although the silencers may bang on things when going over bumps. If it is coming out of the pipes, drive along a quiet empty road on a still evening - then see if it gets worse when you open the rear windows. It could all be exacerbated by the resonance characteristics of the exhaust system and the passenger cabin which will be hard to modify. As a note of caution, if you succeed in making your IS250 uber-quiet, all the tiny squeaks and rattles will start to realy bug you!

Tango: yeah, the Tanabe should be pretty quiet with 93db, but the tom's is a bit more quiet with 86db. Well i don't think it is designed for the manual, but due to the low rpm of the automatic transmission, which is also the drone rpm, it would fit the manual gearbox better as the rpm is a little bit higher. Therefore the rpm will increase faster on the manual as well, while the automatic is using a 'constant' rpm when you hit the gas by a little. This 'constant' rpm will drone and be a little bit annoying.

thesmileone: Yeah i have heard of that as well.

ahmed 24: No i dont have the rear lip, but the exhaust fits great on the oem bumper and the car still looks oem.

fjcfarrar: I have used a device in order to gauge the amount of db. The sound is coming from the tail pipe, as the exhaust is just hanging on the rubber mountings and is fully free except the 2 bolts. As a comparison, with the stock exhaust, my car is quieter than a GS and close to a LS :). this might be the reason why i hear a lot more than others.

ps I might be selling the tom's exhaust (used for 2 weeks), so if someone is interested, please let me know!

ps I might be selling the tom's exhaust (used for 2 weeks), so if someone is interested, please let me know!

you're selling your tom's exhaust and i'm selling a tom's rear bumper spoiler/lip that needs repainting :D together it's a complete tom's rear-end. i'm probably going to be putting it on eBay sometime soon. i'm looking for about £50 for it. I paid just over £350 for it when i purchased it few years back

fjcfarrar: I have used a device in order to gauge the amount of db. The sound is coming from the tail pipe, as the exhaust is just hanging on the rubber mountings and is fully free except the 2 bolts. As a comparison, with the stock exhaust, my car is quieter than a GS and close to a LS :). this might be the reason why i hear a lot more than others.

The problem with most aftermarket exhausts is that they are usually designed to make them pleasantly noisier/look cool/allegedly last a long time and rarely make the exhaust seem any quieter - just different, reducing some frequency components of the exhaust note at the expense of others. To reduce tail-pipe noise, a single much longer custom (horribly expensive) silencer filling the space across the car leading to a single tail-pipe would probably turn down the LF (approx 100Hz) component of the drone better than the OEM set-up by providing a longer path through sound-absorbing material. Also at huge expense, pipework is available with sound absorbing walls. Care would be needed to have smooth right-angles in it plus a large enough bore to avoid gas-flow restriction.

After all that, you really will notice the road noise which you can easily reduce by fitting steel wheels with much taller section tyres. By now the car wil be very, very quiet but not look great and have lost some handling!

ahmed: If you know someone who is looking for the Exhaust (including your lip) than let me know :)

Fjcfarrar: Yeah I know it can be done on several ways, but the cost might be higher than selling the exhaust lol And fitting steel wheels 16inch will look bad on the IS250 :P And the reduced handling is not what i am looking for :(

Putting in a silencer (like hks) would be great, but i cant find the right silencer to fit

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links