Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie Question Re Fuel Cionsumption On Is300

Silversalmon

Hi,

on Tueday next i take delivery of my first Lexus, a 2005 IS300 Sportcross, dark blue with tan leather and i can't wait. It's an Auto, with 70K miles on the clock. A couple of queries

Timing belt, should i get it done asap?

What mpg can i expect in the real world, country roads and motorway.

Anything i should look out for, i see the CD system is unrelaible, was this only early models.

Having bought car unseen (I know its a crime but these are rare and i just took the plunge on the photos. What tyres should i replace with when i get it? This is my first ever RWD car so not sure what to expect but don't want to wrap it around a tree.

Sorry if these are old queries, my first newsgroup as well.

Thanks for any help

Ed in Glasgow

By 2005 all problems ironed out.

Timing belt @ 100k miles on the 300.

Real world MPG ~280 to a tank. £75 to fill up with V power.

How much did you get her for ?

Welcome to the club !

Whitey

Welcome to the club !

Whitey

I pick her up next Tuesday from Kent, i paid £6900 which appears to be great value in my eye for what was a nigh ion £30K car 5 years ago. It has full Lexus history with alast intermediate service in April. For peace of mind i will gett he belt changed, a full service. Is the tyre choice critical on these cars?

I will make a point of using V Power, it certainly helped ny VRV consumption. Looks like similar consumption to my manual 2 litre CRV in the real world then. It's dark metallic blue with tan leather. It appears to be in excellent condition, i will have an opportunity to find out how she is when i bring her up to Glasgow on Tuesday and wednesday. Glad to hear the 2005 model cleared the common issues. Thanks very much for the reply, i suspect i'm in some good company with my Sportcross. Ed

Welcome to the club !

Whitey

I pick her up next Tuesday from Kent, i paid £6900 which appears to be great value in my eye for what was a nigh ion £30K car 5 years ago. It has full Lexus history with alast intermediate service in April. For peace of mind i will gett he belt changed, a full service. Is the tyre choice critical on these cars?

I will make a point of using V Power, it certainly helped ny VRV consumption. Looks like similar consumption to my manual 2 litre CRV in the real world then. It's dark metallic blue with tan leather. It appears to be in excellent condition, i will have an opportunity to find out how she is when i bring her up to Glasgow on Tuesday and wednesday. Glad to hear the 2005 model cleared the common issues. Thanks very much for the reply, i suspect i'm in some good company with my Sportcross. Ed

Good to know.

If it doesn't go well come and see mine and you can take mine for £6900 B)

Whitey

I certainly will though i have paid a £500 deposit, hopefully it will work out ok. Yours looks spanking. Thanks for the offer.

Ed

The later CD players are generally better than the early ones, but having said that mine has recently packed up so it's a problem with all of them.

Other than that these cars are quite faultless so you should be ok if it's been well maintained - good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Brought the car up from Kent to Glasgow, 500 miles dead on a trip via Cambridge, and i did it on one tank - 37mpg. Admittedly i was gingerly driving at 65 on cruise control but it was better than expected. Drops dramatically in town i reckon but i will not do much town driving. Car is creamy smooth and Lexus Glasgow gave it a once over, new pads required at rear sooner rather than later and oddly the previous owner fitted lower suspension to the front only, i will try to get that reverted if not too costly. Have booked it into Glasgow Lexus for a 60K service (it was bypassed in favour of an intermediate and i have been quoted £550 all in for service and timing belt change, seems a good deal to me, the garage only opened last week so maybe trying to get new customers. Arnold Clark Lexus seem to be on the way out? I will probably sign up for the gold servicing package lexus offer at £20pcm for two years servicing, anyone any thoughts? Thanks a lot guys, you have all been very helpful with my new purchase.

Regards

Ed in Glasgow

Brought the car up from Kent to Glasgow, 500 miles dead on a trip via Cambridge, and i did it on one tank - 37mpg. Admittedly i was gingerly driving at 65 on cruise control but it was better than expected. Drops dramatically in town i reckon but i will not do much town driving. Car is creamy smooth and Lexus Glasgow gave it a once over, new pads required at rear sooner rather than later and oddly the previous owner fitted lower suspension to the front only, i will try to get that reverted if not too costly. Have booked it into Glasgow Lexus for a 60K service (it was bypassed in favour of an intermediate and i have been quoted £550 all in for service and timing belt change, seems a good deal to me, the garage only opened last week so maybe trying to get new customers. Arnold Clark Lexus seem to be on the way out? I will probably sign up for the gold servicing package lexus offer at £20pcm for two years servicing, anyone any thoughts? Thanks a lot guys, you have all been very helpful with my new purchase.

Regards

Ed in Glasgow

Wow 500 on 1 tank is by far the best I have heard of, well done, mine generally manages 400 between fills which pleases me. I so like the Sportcross I could not bear to part with it when I bought the GS450h so kept it and still prefer to drive it over the GS, it feels better quality and more traditional.BTW I never use premium fuel, just cruise control and shut down early for the corners / junctions to avoid heavy braking and black front wheels.

Brilliant car and a warm welcome to the owner's club

Regards Tony