Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have been advised by my Lexus Dealer and Lexus Customer relations that playing mp3 discs can cause the CD multichanger to jam. My system loads 6 discs on the front panel not the boot. The reason given is that blank discs are slighty thicker.

I have created some mp3 discs with Nero but I am reluctant to put in the car multichanger. However they work perfectly well on my home hi fi system.

Your comments would be welcome please.

Thanks for your reply but I have recently changed my car to an IS250. The manual says that MP3s can be played

I have been advised by my Lexus Dealer and Lexus Customer relations that playing mp3 discs can cause the CD multichanger to jam. My system loads 6 discs on the front panel not the boot. The reason given is that blank discs are slighty thicker.

I have created some mp3 discs with Nero but I am reluctant to put in the car multichanger. However they work perfectly well on my home hi fi system.

It would be a pretty bad selling point to say "This Head Unit plays MP3 CD's, but dont actually put any in as it will jam the system up" :P

As far as I know there aren't any commercial MP3 cd's on the UK market, so the only MP3 cd's available are what people make themselves. I really wouldnt worry about it.

I've just lay 2 CD's flat on my desk, 1 a purchased album and 1 a blank cd and they are exactly the same thickness. Every CD starts off blank at some point remember!

That's such a load of rubbish, doesn't the IS250 system play CD-RW as well? I've definitely never come across a pre-recorded CD-RW :P

But as above, with quality CD-Rs there is no difference in thickness anyway.

All standard disks CD, DVD, CD ROM Read only, Recordable etc. are governed by the same dimensional spec and will cause no problems as a result of size. Labels stuck on them can cause severe problems usually by coming off and sticking to the works instead; so never put these in. If the ink on hand-written disks that has not fully dried, it can be flung over the laser lens which will need a strip-down to clean it off. Small and strangely-shaped disks can't be reliably handled so NO to these.

There is a chance that some formats not recognised by the player will confuse it. Most will simply be rejected; but there is a faint possibility that some really weird format could make the system lock up - so don't put these in either.

By saying avoid MP3s etc, Lexus protect themselves against all the daft things people might do with their own disks.

That's such a load of rubbish, doesn't the IS250 system play CD-RW as well? I've definitely never come across a pre-recorded CD-RW :P

But as above, with quality CD-Rs there is no difference in thickness anyway.

+1

I have 4 mp3 cd's and 1 dvd movie in my car and i've had them in there for over 1 year. I change from cd to cd all the time and never had any issues.

I did once put a CD that had label printed on it. I forgot to take it out and when I took it out I realised the printed label started to melt. (Luckily i removed it on time)

Whilst not answering your question directly....why dont you just download your music onto an MP3 player and connect via the AUX jack. You can pick up an 8 GB MP3 player for €40 odd and that will hold thousands of songs.....I never use my CD player. ( Im not sure if it is only the MM that has an AUX jack)

Hi "adjust8r"

Yes I do have an auxilliary socket. In fact there are 2 sockets. Which one would I use ? Presumably an mp3 player would have its own leads but would I need to buy a special one to connect to the aux socket ? If so what type ? Once set up I presume all controls would be made on the mp3 player such as stop/start, track selection etc. Is that correct or would anything be controlled by the CD player ? Someone told me that mp3 discs placed into the player have the track contents displayed on the screen.

Reading through the various replies I think your solution would suit me the best so I just need a bit of help to set up the mp3 player please. Many thanks for your suggestion

Whilst not answering your question directly....why dont you just download your music onto an MP3 player and connect via the AUX jack. You can pick up an 8 GB MP3 player for €40 odd and that will hold thousands of songs.....I never use my CD player. ( Im not sure if it is only the MM that has an AUX jack)

Hi "adjust8r"

Yes I do have an auxilliary socket. In fact there are 2 sockets. Which one would I use ? Presumably an mp3 player would have its own leads but would I need to buy a special one to connect to the aux socket ? If so what type ? Once set up I presume all controls would be made on the mp3 player such as stop/start, track selection etc. Is that correct or would anything be controlled by the CD player ? Someone told me that mp3 discs placed into the player have the track contents displayed on the screen.

Reading through the various replies I think your solution would suit me the best so I just need a bit of help to set up the mp3 player please. Many thanks for your suggestion

In my car, there is only one AUX point which is beside the 12V charger in the armrest compartment. You will have to purchase a special connector lead, but these are readily available.( these are not supplied with the MP3 player. You will only get a USB cable with the MP3 player which is used to download music from your computer to the MP3 player and also to charge the unit). I bought a "Belkin" connection lead and I got this in "PC world". There are loads of different makes and any decent electronics store will stock them. This simply plugs into the earphone socket of the MP3 player whilst the other end plugs into the AUX point. Select AUX on the stereo, turn on your MP3 and away you go. The one down side is that you cant control the MP3 player with the car controls and the track details etc do not show up on the screen. However, MP3 players do give you the option of playing artist, album or my favourite "shuffle", so when you turn it on, it will randomly play the songs until you turn it off!!! When you have this set up, you will never play a CD in your car again as it is the equivalent of having a 70 disk CD changer in your boot!!!!

Hi "adjust8r"

In my car, there is only one AUX point which is beside the 12V charger in the armrest compartment. You will have to purchase a special connector lead, but these are readily available.( these are not supplied with the MP3 player. You will only get a USB cable with the MP3 player which is used to download music from your computer to the MP3 player and also to charge the unit). I bought a "Belkin" connection lead and I got this in "PC world". There are loads of different makes and any decent electronics store will stock them. This simply plugs into the earphone socket of the MP3 player whilst the other end plugs into the AUX point. Select AUX on the stereo, turn on your MP3 and away you go. The one down side is that you cant control the MP3 player with the car controls and the track details etc do not show up on the screen. However, MP3 players do give you the option of playing artist, album or my favourite "shuffle", so when you turn it on, it will randomly play the songs until you turn it off!!! When you have this set up, you will never play a CD in your car again as it is the equivalent of having a 70 disk CD changer in your boot!!!!

Or fit the OEM MP3 adapter or a non OEM (like the Vaistech unit) which enables the player to be controlled through the steering wheel audio controls. The MP3 player sits in the glove box connected with the multipoint connector, not a jackplug, and the unit plugs into the back of the CD/DVD player in the headunit. The MP3 player is turned on and off with the head unit and is also charged. It's a fairly simple fit and I've just taken mine out of my IS250 and fitted it in the IS-F.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links