Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Coming Back To Lexus - Good Price?

Hi

Not been on here for approx 18 months as I bought a 5 series BMW - but not impressed with it at all.

So looking to come back to an RX.

I have found a Dec 2009 (8000 miles)rx450 SE-L for £42000 and also a MAY 2010 (7000 mileswith a tracker)SE-I for again £42000.

In your opinion which seems to represent the best value?

Dave

I am finding these models confusing..........What does the se-l have extra? side cameras? what else?

Specsheet

Looks like major differences are:

Air suspension

LED headlamps

Multimedia nav (does that mean Mark Levinson audio?)

10 way adjustable seats (instead of 8)

Ventilated seats

Side monitor

Memory for passenger seat

Smart card

Wood trim

Not necessarily vital differences there, but if multimedia does mean mark levinson then that alone would make me go for the SE-L :)

I am finding these models confusing..........What does the se-l have extra? side cameras? what else?

Specsheet

Looks like major differences are:

Air suspension

LED headlamps

Multimedia nav (does that mean Mark Levinson audio?)

10 way adjustable seats (instead of 8)

Ventilated seats

Side monitor

Memory for passenger seat

Smart card

Wood trim

Not necessarily vital differences there, but if multimedia does mean mark levinson then that alone would make me go for the SE-L :)

What's the smart card?

How much better is Mark Levinson Stereo?

As an aside I went to view the SE-I at Manchester Lexus today but the sales person I had been speaking to was out - so the Frachise manager shown me the car (apparently he owns this and stockport).

I had to take my 8 month old baby with me as child care had let me down and I was in my scruffs as I had been in the cellar all morning (own a pub) - so off I trotted with this chap to view the car - as I was viewing the car I was asking the pertinent question about price. I explained that I had seen an SE-L at the same price and wondered what discount there was on offer (it would be a cash sale) - I was told there was no room for negotiation - then he said a couple of hundred at best.

Its not the fact that there was little or no discount on the table it was his manner and attitude that annoyed me - it was as if I was wasting his time and "not good enough" to be there if you see what I mean.

I had previously been dealing with a chap called Jamie & also Andy at Manchester Lexus who were absolutely lovely, helpful and very patient with all my questions and spent lots of time on the phone and in person with me - this is a huge purchase for me................

Perhaps I was wrong? As I left I asked this chap to get Andy to call me about the proposed sale (I could not get them off the phone for the past 3 days trying to sell me something) - but no phone call arrived - so I guess they don't want my forty odd grand.........shame.

On the other side of the coin the SE-L I had seen for the same price was at a dealership 200 miles away - but I called them to enquire about it and the chap there could not have been more different - absolute diamond - the car seemed superb for the price (ex demo) - within an hour of contact I had a firm price (negotiation does work) saving me even more money on the 42k - also within another hour I had a phone call from the same dealership informing me that a couple of more rx450's had come onto his system - he sent me pics - emailed full details / specs etc to me within minutes.........so now I had a choice of 3 !!

What a difference a dealer makes................

As a result I have the option of driving down tomorrow to colect the car (yes that quick) - or leaving a £500 deposit and going next week to collect - but a sale is negotiated, agreed on and done!

Superb service - I will name this dealer when I go and collect the car if all is okay.

But what a sorry state of affairs the difference between dealers.

Dave

It's basically the same as the fob but instead of being fat, it's similar in size to a credit card so can easily fit in a wallet. Different people feel differently about whether it's a good or bad thing, you lose the lock/unlock buttons, but then as it's in your wallet it's one less thing in your pocket :)

Haven't heard the systems in the RX, but based on other cars the ML system is a LOT better - but depends how much of an audiophile you are.

It's a real shame the dealership was so bad, I never understand why they wouldn't want to sell a car. But in any case sounds like this other one is much better so fingers crossed all goes well - have you done the deal on an SE-L then in the end?

Haven't tried an RX but I know the IS has a boot release button just above the license plate so you don't need a fob - I'd imagine (and hope) the RX is the same.

I think all Lexus cars still have a 10000 mile/12 month service interval but not 100% sure, hopefully one of the RX owners will be able to answer this stuff for you :)

Haven't tried an RX but I know the IS has a boot release button just above the license plate so you don't need a fob - I'd imagine (and hope) the RX is the same.

I think all Lexus cars still have a 10000 mile/12 month service interval but not 100% sure, hopefully one of the RX owners will be able to answer this stuff for you :)

Hi thanks for all the responses.

Yep deal done on a SE-L, hopefully picking it up on Monday.

It has the DAB option fitted as well - does anybody have any experience of this?

How does DAB work on the move - is reception okay?

Dave

Okay

Been doing some reading up and it seems not only did that chap at Lexus Manchester treat me like I should not be there - but he told me 1 or 2 untruths about the SE-I he showed me.................read on.

I asked about the leather in the SE-I and was told it was the same as the SE-L - fact is its not - the leather in the SE-L is Semi - Aniline Leather seating which includes heated and ventilated front seats; 10 way electrically adjustable front seats) whisch the SE-I does not have.

I asked about the stereo as mentioned in the above post and was told that the "Mark Levinson" stereo makes no difference to the sound whatsoever as they all "sound the same when switched on" - having read up a few articles it seems this could not be further from the truth - I wonder if he adopts the same stance when trying to SELL an SE-L?

You make up your own mind about the above information.

Dave

I asked about the leather in the SE-I and was told it was the same as the SE-L - fact is its not - the leather in the SE-L is Semi - Aniline Leather seating which includes heated and ventilated front seats; 10 way electrically adjustable front seats) whisch the SE-I does not have.

I asked about the stereo as mentioned in the above post and was told that the "Mark Levinson" stereo makes no difference to the sound whatsoever as they all "sound the same when switched on" - having read up a few articles it seems this could not be further from the truth - I wonder if he adopts the same stance when trying to SELL an SE-L?

Yep the ventilated seats is a difference, not sure what the extra 2 ways of adjustment are, guess it's either the headrests or seat cushion - don't forget the SE-L has memory for the passenger seat as well, not necessarily that important but it gets used a lot in our Mercedes :)

Love the comment about the stereo, the guy either can't hear properly or Lexus have changed the stereo's dramatically in the RX. The best way is to listen to them side by side to make sure for yourself.

Either way that salesman doesn't seem the most useful in the world......

Hope the pickup went well! Tell us what you think of the new 450...and don't forget to include some pics!! B)

Hi

It went superbly.

Please stand up and take a big bow Lexus Lincoln - and Darren in particular was absolutely brilliant.

I arrived there approx 12 o clock as promised and everything was ready for the sale to progress. I was shown around the car to make sure it was what I wanted, my car was appraised and value agreed upon (bye bye BMW) and the documentation was completed with minimum of fuss.

Then Darren went on to explain some of the inner workings of the 450 SE-L but as I was in a hurry he just concentrated on a few things - he paired my Bluetooth and set my home address in sat nav and off I went on my way home.

The drive home was brilliant (A1 then M62) - I reset the fuel usuage before setting off back and the ave fuel consumption over the 100 miles home was 33mpg which I think is pretty good !

All in all superb car and superb service !

Dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links