Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Would You Change About The Isf

After 2 1/2 years, I still really like the car, but here are a few small things I would have preferred, but realise some are impossible/ridiculously expensive and others nobody else would want. Where they would add significantly to the price, I wouldn't bother - which shows they are not that important, just pipedreams:-

1. Single gearchange paddle on steering column that doesn't move with the wheel - to be moved Upwards for Change Up & vice-versa.

2. "Comfort" suspension setting with speed-limiter for bumpy, slow roads & passengers who hate Osteopaths.

3. Direction indicator repeaters in side mirrors (I think latest versions have these).

4. Old-fashioned maybe, but would have liked a choice of Tan leather seats, door inserts etc. with more or less matching dash and light neutral headlining. All-black is nice but a bit depressing. White seats are now available; but like white underpants require too much maintenance.

5. A quick Idiot's interface for Satnav where you just choose From: Home/Here & To: Full Postcode/Coordinates/Home (gives answer Jubilee Street, Durham - Confirm/Try again) and then leads you off into options & detail only if necessary. Should accept full postcodes even if it ignores final digits because everybody thinks in terms of the whole post-code.

6. An exhaust setting/valve that lets you have a full V8 grumble when just ambling along and not just above 3600 rpm when you are perhaps a bit too busy to fully enjoy the sound.

7. Something a bit less tacky than FAKE carbon-fibre inserts on doors & gear console.

8. The rear seats are separated by plastics from Primark - really the only quality/cosmetic let-down.

9. Without sacrificing looks or handling, I would have preferred a Hatchback which is so much more useful. We all have to lug stuff to the tip!

10. A Ford-style full windscreen electric de-icer to save the morning scrape 5 months of the year.

So what would you want given unlimited choice?

Based on my brief test drive I agree with number 6, would like it if it felt a bit more alive all the time.

Also wish it had a rear bench seat, there really is no need to have divided the seats when they've done nothing useful with the centre section. The C63 and M3 with 3 rear seats will always make them a slightly better option in that respect.

Based on my brief test drive I agree with number 6, would like it if it felt a bit more alive all the time.

Also wish it had a rear bench seat, there really is no need to have divided the seats when they've done nothing useful with the centre section. The C63 and M3 with 3 rear seats will always make them a slightly better option in that respect.

In some countries there are Insurance restrictions on more than Driver + 4 passengers for "performance" cars. Lexus have chosen to play safe with this under the pretext of the effects on handling with more weight in the back.

I suppose I should have added the option of the "sport" mode as the default setting, but have got used to pressing the button - there is no economy penalty if you have a sensitive right foot.

So what would you want given unlimited choice?

I'm sure more will come to mind, but just for now:

1. Single or double gear change paddles(s) that do not move with the steering wheel

2. Black carbon fibre trim on the interior (including the rear seat divider), and on the exterior trim that is currently plain black on the doors and foglight surrounds

3. Full post code capability on the Sat-Nav (not just on the IS-F either)

4. A decent full twin pipe exhaust system (like the Joe Z) with attached tailpipes

5. A two door Coupe version (I rarely carry back seat passengers)

6. A more resilient clear coat for the paint, like the Ceramiclear used by Nissan and Mercedes

7. A full size spare wheel

8. DB radio

9. Fully Integrated iPod/MP3 player capability

10. Lose the sharkfin antenna

11. Fold down rear seats, not just the ski hatch

12. Twin turbochargers

13. Integrated radar/speed camera detection

14. Adjustable suspension setting for comfort/sport/ride height

15. Illuminated kick plates as standard

16. Vented seats

17. 'see you home' lights capability

18. Built in garage door remote (as available on the US models)

19. The engine lowered a little, and fit the bonnet that was designed for it

20. Low dust brake pads

1-9 10. Lose the sharkfin antenna. 11-20

I am curious. What would you replace the shark's fin antenna with? Do you prefer something like the IS 200 type? All the "hidden" antennae are very much less effective at capturing signals, and DAB needs better, more consistent signals to work at all (like I get no DAB reception at all at home without a big external antenna in mid-Surrey) - something better and even more conspicuous is needed to work well.

1-9 10. Lose the sharkfin antenna. 11-20

I am curious. What would you replace the shark's fin antenna with? Do you prefer something like the IS 200 type? All the "hidden" antennae are very much less effective at capturing signals, and DAB needs better, more consistent signals to work at all (like I get no DAB reception at all at home without a big external antenna in mid-Surrey) - something better and even more conspicuous is needed to work well.

You did state 'feasible or not'. There are 'hidden' aerials available for DAB as aftermarket which are less effective than external, but I would have thought a major car manufacturer like Toyota would be able to overcome this problem. Unfortunately DAB appears to be only an option for most marques with an additional exterior stub or whip aerial, which seems a little short sighted.

The Lexus shark's fin is too similar to the BMW for my liking, but I do not like any external alternatives, including the Mercedes roof mounted 'stub' tail.

two of the first items changed on the Fensport ISF were

as quoted from Adrian Smith

1. was a Blitz throttle controller to attain a responsive throttle response in all transmission modes. This certainly made the car a lot more driveable and is a must do for IS F owners.

2. was the suspension, many owners and journalists have complained about the harsh ride quality and we soon agreed with them. A Tein comfort spec coilover kit has been fitted and tested, with its top adjustable 16 point adjustment the ride is so much nicer, allowing you to retain ride comfort for the road, and still stiffen the suspension in a few seconds for that spirited weekend track day.

I have to admit I didn't think the ride was that hard, in fact it didn't really feel different to the IS200 - but perhaps the roads I was on were too smooth to show how bad it can be.

If you drive it hard on anything but smooth tarmac the front doors rattle on the catches. There isn't noticable play in the hinges etc: but the doors are heavy enough to move on the rubber seals with the stiff ride (I can't call it hard).

Must come as a shock to some new ISF owners to discover that their cars aren't as "fully loaded" as they thought. Must be one of the most abused terms in car marketing. Might be an idea to have a industry standard features list where manufacturers tick the relevant boxes. That way you would discover what you are NOT getting. Never happen though.

Most of the points raised will be rectified by Lexus on the MY11 ISF that you can now order.

The new model will also benefit from the hard drive navigation system, usb and you can order white leather. Here is some info from Lexus about the new model year.

Summary

From launch, the IS F was widely acclaimed as a very capable sports saloon capable of holding its own with the long established competitors. The only points for improvements were to introduce a mechanical Limited Slip Differential and to further enhance ride comfort. MY10 introduced the LSD to enhance the already impressive dynamic ability of the IS F. Amongst other changes, from August 2010 production MY11 introduces suspension enhancements to improve ride comfort.

Changes include:

Drivetrain

o

Compliance with Euro 5 regulations

The suspension has been modified to enhance dampening control, cornering stability and improve steering response

o

Revised front and rear suspension coils and absorbers that better absorb road imperfections and enhance ride comfort.

o

Revised rear suspension geometry to enhance rear stability under increased G-force whilst accelerating, braking and cornering.

Revised specification

o

New instrumentation places the tachometer in the centre of the instrument binnacle

o

New darker carbon fibre-like inserts

o

Adoption of LED DRL, deletion of Adaptive Front Lighting system

In my opinion losing the adaptive front lighting system and gaining Audi daytime running lights is a step backwards.

In my opinion losing the adaptive front lighting system and gaining Audi daytime running lights is a step backwards.

2011 versions: First came across adaptive headlights in the Citroen DS - which didn't seem to actually improve anything, and for me doesn't in the ISF - a pointless novelty; but it appears odd & unnecessary to delete it just to add a few LED running lights. Useful enhancements are suggested for suspension & some drivers will like the LSD although in the past I have found them in other marques to relatively break more easily. Good to see technical rather than just cosmetic upgrades - and also really glad that nothing is major enough to make me feel I need to get a new one!

A suggestion I never thought of before would be an owners' Laptop Interface or screen display listing of all User Settings - allowing straightforward changes to defaults rather than the current absurd and unlikely timed button-sequences.

I can only imagine the deletion of adaptive lights is a cost thing and not directly related to the LED DRLs? We have them on our Merc and I quite like them, it's rare that they are required around London, but when occasionally on unlit roads they do make a difference.

I'm intrigued by the centralised rev counter though, is this changing across the whole range or just the IS-F?

I can only imagine the deletion of adaptive lights is a cost thing and not directly related to the LED DRLs? We have them on our Merc and I quite like them, it's rare that they are required around London, but when occasionally on unlit roads they do make a difference.

I'm intrigued by the centralised rev counter though, is this changing across the whole range or just the IS-F?

Attached is how the new dials will look, notice the sport button on the steering wheel :) .

The new design is for F models only and follows on from the LFA dials.

The deletion of AFS lights is only because with the DRL there is simply not enough room in the light unit to fit both in.

post-18572-12856036744.jpg

Wow I know that's only a small change but I love that :D

From a practical perspective that speedo is a bit on the small side - I know there's a digital one but when you're rapidly slowing down for a speed camera an analogue speedo is much easier to read :whistling:

Is that Sport button going to be like the M button on BMWs? So basically puts everything into their optimum settings?

The deletion of AFS lights is only because with the DRL there is simply not enough room in the light unit to fit both in.

I like the new "clean" look and particularly the wheel-mounted Sport button. But not convinced by prioritising the Rev Counter by size on a car which takes charge of revs even in Manual. The rev counter is pretty but largely without purpose; so a big speedo is preferrable. I do not believe the lack-of-space excuse for deleting AFS. DRL LEDs are tiny, and the AFS mechanism is sort of external to the light assembly, so no space isssue.

I like the new "clean" look and particularly the wheel-mounted Sport button. But not convinced by prioritising the Rev Counter by size on a car which takes charge of revs even in Manual. The rev counter is pretty but largely without purpose; so a big speedo is preferrable. I do not believe the lack-of-space excuse for deleting AFS. DRL LEDs are tiny, and the AFS mechanism is sort of external to the light assembly, so no space isssue.

Agree with the comments, except putting the Sports button on the wheel is a bit questionable as it's not something you would normally be constantly changing, unlike the radar distance setting which is now placed in a similar position to where the Sport rocker switch used to be.

Agree with the comments, except putting the Sports button on the wheel is a bit questionable as it's not something you would normally be constantly changing, unlike the radar distance setting which is now placed in a similar position to where the Sport rocker switch used to be.

Would prefer an option of default sports mode, but on the wheel is a better place for it to avoid accidentally turning off traction control(the switch next to it) when you feel for the existing sports rocker because neither are visible when driving. Maybe its just me but I never change the radar distance from the max setting.

Would prefer an option of default sports mode, but on the wheel is a better place for it to avoid accidentally turning off traction control(the switch next to it) when you feel for the existing sports rocker because neither are visible when driving. Maybe its just me but I never change the radar distance from the max setting.

I would actually prefer it if they didn't put any switches behind the steering wheel, it's a stupid place to put any switch imho.

I drove one of these a while back and this is what I'd like to see in them....

Carbon ceramic brake option (no dust!)

Dual clutch transmission technology - way better than the 8 gear transmission

Twin turbo's or a decent supercharger. - 500bhp and more torque :hehe: