Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Tyre Advice

Paradroid

I've got a full set of Vredestein Ultrac tyres on my IS200. I've been very happy with them, they are grippy and are good in the wet (they are specially designed to be). When I got the car it originally had a mix of budget tyres and worn premium branded and it was lethal in the wet, the back end was all over the place. So I'm a bit wary of tyre choice.

I know have a puncture that cannot be repaired and they don't make the Ultrac tyres any more. They have quite an unusual tread pattern (see picture). They cost about £90 each.

Any advice what to do? Should I replace both rear tyres with something different or just replace the one that needs doing - does the matching of tread patterns really matter that much? Any recommendations what to buy?

2901bcca-8338-4b4d-ba90-8eb4210ec001Vredestein-Ultrac---Modifie.jpg

You could go for newer Vreds? Personally I would keep matching tyres on each axel.

I'm getting a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy this week, had them on another car and they were great.

My last set of tyres on the IS200 were the Eagle F1A's- very good tyres, you won't be disappointed.

You could go for newer Vreds? Personally I would keep matching tyres on each axel.

I'm getting a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy this week, had them on another car and they were great.

I was thinking the same as you, trouble is the new Ultrac Sessanta's have what looks like a very different tread pattern. Grrr!!

I think Tony always recommends having matching tread patterns across an axle - if you hit standing water you don't want each side of the car reacting differently.

Have you tried all the different dealers? You might be lucky and find someone that has an ultrac left over (unlikely but worth a shot)

I've just replaced my two rears with Bridgestone RE040's to match the fronts, bit pricey but they're usually good for 30k miles and have a nice big rubber strip around them to protect the alloys from kerbing. I now have four matching tyres - had the fronts done about 8 months ago and the car handles really well.

I looked at loads of different brands before settling for the original fit Bridgestone's, they're worth the premium in my opinion.

bought my lex a year ago which had avon zv5's fitted all round , the tread is still deep on them , their quiet and iv never had any grip issues ,after searching on the net looking for more info on them they are a premium tyre with good reviews and i have not seen a bad word said about them , they are asymetrical so more versatile than a directional tyre and are normally £90 each but black circles.com are selling em for £73 each , cant complain at all tried and tested good all round premium tyre which i will always stick with.

bought my lex a year ago which had avon zv5's fitted all round , the tread is still deep on them , their quiet and iv never had any grip issues ,after searching on the net looking for more info on them they are a premium tyre with good reviews and i have not seen a bad word said about them , they are asymetrical so more versatile than a directional tyre and are normally £90 each but black circles.com are selling em for £73 each , cant complain at all tried and tested good all round premium tyre which i will always stick with.

Cheers mate I might well look into them, price is about right, I'd like to pay less but think it's risky to go below £70 a tyre for something like the IS200.

Nick - which Goodyears and what sort of price are they?

Cheers mate I might well look into them, price is about right, I'd like to pay less but think it's risky to go below £70 a tyre for something like the IS200.

Nick - which Goodyears and what sort of price are they?

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric in 225/40/18 at £105 each from mytyres.