Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Click Click Vroom!

NSJW

Hi, ok Im having problems with starting my car. It is a mk1 GS300 1995. Every turn of the key it would just simply click, the engine does not turn over and then after a few more clicks eventually it would turn over and start. Sometimes it fires straight away. I have read on here the starter is the most likely cause so I ordered the repair kit for the solenoid and replaced the copper contacts etc,, I have to say I couldnt have done this without following the great advice found on here. So thanks everyone who posted something constructive on that topic! All I can say is patience is definitely needed and be prepared to spill some blood sweat and tears!!! Anyway I put it all back together and it is no better.

Every time the key is turned you can physically feel the starter relay click and feel the starter motor clicking. Although I have noticed the relay flashes / sparks internally, you see a a flash through the plastic is that normal? So im presuming the ignition switch, relay and starter is ok. It is also a new Battery on the car and fully charged. I cleaned up the earth connection bolted to the inner wing too.

So really need to pick your brains and see what you all recommend what I should do next....

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sounds like the actual motor is sticking.

Basically the lobe is pushing the starter cog onto the flywheel, but then it is sticking.

When this happens try tapping the starter gently with a hammer. This should free it up. If this is something you cant live with, then off to the scrappies and £100 of your hard eanred and get a fresh one

HTH

cheers

Mike

I had the solenoid contact problem with my GS a few months ago.

When you stripped the solenoid were the contacts toast? Mine were really worn out. If yours were not then perhaps they were okay.

I found that setting the new contacts to the correct height was a little tricky. Did you bench test it before you put it back in the car? You can tell if the starter itself is getting lazy as it doesn't try to jump out of the vise when it spins. They really have some torque when they work properly!!!

It may be worth removing it again and running a test on it in the vise. Clamp it tight though. Also test the motor bypassing the solenoid - sparks a bit though.

Bill

I had the solenoid contact problem with my GS a few months ago.

When you stripped the solenoid were the contacts toast? Mine were really worn out. If yours were not then perhaps they were okay.

I found that setting the new contacts to the correct height was a little tricky. Did you bench test it before you put it back in the car? You can tell if the starter itself is getting lazy as it doesn't try to jump out of the vise when it spins. They really have some torque when they work properly!!!

It may be worth removing it again and running a test on it in the vise. Clamp it tight though. Also test the motor bypassing the solenoid - sparks a bit though.

Bill

Hi Bill, I've not read anything about setting the correct height for the contacts? How do I do that? To be honest I didnt test it when it was out. The contacts looked really worn out and I dont have a vice to test it in! Looks like im going to have spill more blood removing the damn thing!!!

Hi, ok Im having problems with starting my car. It is a mk1 GS300 1995. Every turn of the key it would just simply click, the engine does not turn over and then after a few more clicks eventually it would turn over and start. Sometimes it fires straight away. I have read on here the starter is the most likely cause so I ordered the repair kit for the solenoid and replaced the copper contacts etc,, I have to say I couldnt have done this without following the great advice found on here. So thanks everyone who posted something constructive on that topic! All I can say is patience is definitely needed and be prepared to spill some blood sweat and tears!!! Anyway I put it all back together and it is no better.

Every time the key is turned you can physically feel the starter relay click and feel the starter motor clicking. Although I have noticed the relay flashes / sparks internally, you see a a flash through the plastic is that normal? So im presuming the ignition switch, relay and starter is ok. It is also a new battery on the car and fully charged. I cleaned up the earth connection bolted to the inner wing too.

So really need to pick your brains and see what you all recommend what I should do next....

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I have exactly the same problem, but on two different vehicles. My Lexus GS430 sport (04) 70000 miles and fully serviced will only click when trying to start from a few days without use. I have to wait until the fuel pump has stopped (audible sound) when turning key to first position and all lights go off. Then starts ok and runs fine without any further starting problems.

My Peugeot Expert has a new Battery, and starter motor but still clicks sometimes instead of firing up. The click seems to be coming from the fuse/ relay area and I have been told there may be a voltage drop between the ignition and starter. The Lexus problem is minor as I can deal with it but the Peugeot is more unpredictable.

I have exactly the same problem, but on two different vehicles. My Lexus GS430 sport (04) 70000 miles and fully serviced will only click when trying to start from a few days without use. I have to wait until the fuel pump has stopped (audible sound) when turning key to first position and all lights go off. Then starts ok and runs fine without any further starting problems.

My Peugeot Expert has a new battery, and starter motor but still clicks sometimes instead of firing up. The click seems to be coming from the fuse/ relay area and I have been told there may be a voltage drop between the ignition and starter. The Lexus problem is minor as I can deal with it but the Peugeot is more unpredictable.

Well I've just spent the afternoon taking out the starter motor, stripping it down cleaning it up and repositioned the solenoid contacts. Put it back on the car and works on the button every time!! Started car about 12 times now, been for a drive to get everything hot and it starts perfectly. Now Im one happy chap that needs a pint (or two)!! Thanks for the help guys.

Have you tried cleaning the earth connections on both vehicles? Simple to do and often overlooked. I think you may have a bad electrical connection somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I've just spent the afternoon taking out the starter motor, stripping it down cleaning it up and repositioned the solenoid contacts. Put it back on the car and works on the button every time!! Started car about 12 times now, been for a drive to get everything hot and it starts perfectly. Now Im one happy chap that needs a pint (or two)!! Thanks for the help guys.

Well done that's great. You must have discovered that the contacts are adjustable and need to be both parallel to the contact ring and level with each other. Sorry I didn't see your post, I was away for a while.

Slightly different to the way my problem appeared but still sounds like it could be the solenoid. I think the fuel pump is not a factor. It is just possible, but not easy, to bypass the starter circuit with the starter in the car.It is better to take the starter out but awkward) as you need to get underneath. But it isn't that hard with the right sockets. You should disconnect the Battery first.

If it doesn't run every time on the bench strip the solenoid and you will see the copper contacts inside which are horseshoe-shaped. If they are thinned out to the circular inner edge they are worn out. New ones do not cost very much - a few pounds. The ring contact also wears but has a lot more metal on it.

As for the Peugeot relays are usually fairly reliable but if the contacts have become pitted it may not be delivering the current to the starter solenoid. The main power to the starter goes direct from the Battery. The relay will only be sending a much lower current to power the solenoid winding. If you can get to the small terminal on the relay, if you give it 12 volts with a 20 amp cable, it should operate the starter. If it just clicks then the either the solenoid or the starter is faulty. As suggested above, one other possiblity is a poor engine earth strap connection.

Bill

The GS300 and GS430 both have the starter mounted in the most awkward position underneath the inlet manifold so it is "fun" to remove and some good fitting skills are needed (not for the faint heart).

If your starter motor is in a car with less than say 90K miles with not too many start stop journeys needing the starter it is possible that the solenoidal is just sticking in the housing. However, if you have already replaced the solenoid contacts being "careful to stop them from turning when reassembling" (this is a common mistake with these starters as when bolts are tightened the contacts can move and become misaligned if not held securely in position).

So providing you have got the contacts in square and flat as they should be (no height adjustment is possible) I have had great success without taking the starter motor out (or disassembling the car at all) by squirting a good amount of WD40 from behind the inlet manifold using the tube supplied with the can then "chattering" the solenoid a few times on the key. That works in the WD to help the solenoid actuate and key presto the problem was fixed. Without the extra blood, sweat and tears of a second remove and re-install. At the same time it is worth removing and testing the starter motor relay which is easy and under the cover next to the Battery.

Give those little tricks a try. Good luck and "mind your knuckles if to have to take the starter out"

The GS300 and GS430 both have the starter mounted in the most awkward position underneath the inlet manifold so it is "fun" to remove and some good fitting skills are needed (not for the faint heart).

So providing you have got the contacts in square and flat as they should be (no height adjustment is possible) I have had great success without taking the starter motor out (or disassembling the car at all) by squirting a good amount of WD40 from behind the inlet manifold using the tube supplied with the can then "chattering" the solenoid a few times on the key. That works in the WD to help the solenoid actuate and key presto the problem was fixed. Without the extra blood, sweat and tears of a second remove and re-install. At the same time it is worth removing and testing the starter motor relay which is easy and under the cover next to the battery.

Give those little tricks a try. Good luck and "mind your knuckles if to have to take the starter out"

Couple of things I can't agree with you on - I wouldn't say removing the starter is particularly awkward. It's just that you need the car high enough to get fully underneath and you need to work slightly blind. I would say it is easier than replacing the spark plugs - a good light and a mirror help. It does not take very long as there are only a couple of bolts. If you are a competent DIY mechanic and have a decent jack, axle stands and tool kit then it will take about 25-30 mins to get the starter out from scratch.

Your starter must have been different from mine - the contacts in mine were slotted so very adjustable in height.

If your contacts have worn thin WD40 is not going to fix them up. It may just help if there is some crud in there which needs loosening, but the contacts commonly wear out. I am not sure how the WD40 will get inside the solenoid though.

I wouldn't say removing the starter is particularly awkward. It's just that you need the car high enough to get fully underneath and you need to work slightly blind. I would say it is easier than replacing the spark plugs - a good light and a mirror help. It does not take very long as there are only a couple of bolts. If you are a competent DIY mechanic and have a decent jack, axle stands and tool kit then it will take about 25-30 mins to get the starter out from scratch.

I would have dissagree with you. On the GS430, the starter is on top of the engine in the "V", so no matter how high up you jack the car, it won't help. Having to take manifolds and throttle bodies off etc I would class as very awkward.

I would also class the job on the Mk1 GS300 as awkward. It is very, very tight for space, even just getting the starter out once you have removed the bolts. No idea on the mk2 GS300 as I haven't had to look at the starter on my mk2 yet. However, having looked at the oil filter on the mk2, there is masses of space to get to that in comparison to the oil filter on the mk1, so going by that, I would suspect the mk2 to be better for space. I would also recommend having a few UJ's and extensions, wobble/Bendy bars etc to hand if you are doing a mk1 starter.