Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Light On My Dash, Headlight Level?

Nick1881

Hi

Had the same problem about a year ago the light came-on on the dash and gone after a few minutes. Did it a couple of times and I noticed that my headlights were set to the lowest point after you started the car and stayed there all the time. Couldn`t drive at night so I did a google search and found THIS it worked for me and passed the MOT as well (make sure you dont set it too high)

But I wanted to know the answer why this is so when I was doing my brake calipers painting I checked the sensors and found this:

This is the front one on the passanger side and its locaited behined the coilover (the rear one is perfect on mine)

26072010212.jpg

img7920locforum.jpg

it costs ABOUT £300 inc VAT at Lexus so it would be cheaper to find one on a scrap yard but sadly there isnt any breaking IS200/300 close to me

Thanks guys, I'll check the sensors over the weekend to see if they can be saved, if not I'll search breakers.

Also worth looking on US eBay if required as the IS300 is a lot more common there - there's an eBay shop "JustIS300parts" that I've bought from before, great prices and great service :)

Thanks guys, I'll check the sensors over the weekend to see if they can be saved, if not I'll search breakers.

They can probably be saved assuming they move freely. The internal connections from the rivets are probably the cause. Use a multimeter to check continuity from each. Conductive paint from RS components can solve most of the problems - but be warned it takes 24 Hrs to fully dry and appears not to have worked until then.

Also worth looking on US eBay if required as the IS300 is a lot more common there - there's an eBay shop "JustIS300parts" that I've bought from before, great prices and great service :)

Great info just found it CLICK

thanks

Ebay.com

• 3 weeks later...

I'm fixed at last.

Got a the sensor off the ebay seller listed above. I opened it to check before fitting and it was perfect.

That light has finally gone from my dash.

I fixed mine as well but had to adjust the sensors coz have lowered the car but all been fixed now :whistling:

How much did you pay for it? If you dont mind me asking..

Bought it for same but I had to pay £18 tax :tsktsk: ????

Adjusting sensors is not hard I did it at front of a building on a flat car park at dark so I could check what I was doing. Did the back one first, untight the 10mm nut and move it up and down to see movement on the headlight. Low setting moved the headlights up so I fixed it at the bottom and took it to a test drive.

111020100161.jpg

11102010017.jpg

Still didnt give me good visibility so I set the car back and went on the front sensor. You need to turn the steering-wheel to the left to get access. On the front you need to untight the 10mm nuts at top and bottom of the arm and adjust it with the center one to move it up as shown on the 3rd pic then tight them back.

19102010030.jpg

20102010032.jpg

After all I haven`t got the light on the dach I drive with good visibility at night and my headlights are not pointed up at oncoming driver`s face.

Please note: you should take your car to a mechanics who can check or set to the correct headlight`s level, my MOT due in nov so I`ll see how well I`ve done :duh: also note that I have lowered with the TTE springs with 30mm drop and my sensors are at the lowest (rear) and highest (front) settings I dont know what would be the settings if you would go lower than 30mm

Hope you understand what I try to explain because this is my first "How to" post

Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

Check the mechanical linkages 1st ( look at the pictures on post 16) as they are similar on the LS400 and tend to break, Lexus charge around £80.00 but a company in Derby do them for around £35.00.

On the LS it is normally the rear that goes so start on that one.

If it is one of the actual sensors let me know and I will look up the part numbers for you.

• 5 months later...