Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Vibration When Braking

volvo2lexus

Just had the osf wheel bearing replaced and I noticed on taking the car on the motorway that there is now a vibration at around 60mph and a severe wheel wobble when braking at about 70% effort (so fairly heavy).

Could it be that this is something to do with the work done - could something be loose? Surely it can't be warped discs as this didn't happen before, I know the front pads are low but will go for a few more months.

Garage has good reputation so I've no reason to doubt their work but just wondering whether by chance something else has gone and what it could be?

I'll ask them if they roadtested the car after they did the wheel bearing too.

Any ideas anyone? Car is 98/S LS400 190,000 - well looked after.

Just had the osf wheel bearing replaced and I noticed on taking the car on the motorway that there is now a vibration at around 60mph and a severe wheel wobble when braking at about 70% effort (so fairly heavy).

Could it be that this is something to do with the work done - could something be loose? Surely it can't be warped discs as this didn't happen before, I know the front pads are low but will go for a few more months.

Garage has good reputation so I've no reason to doubt their work but just wondering whether by chance something else has gone and what it could be?

Hi. Its most certainly to do with the wheel bearing work as the caliper will have been removed. They may not have put the pads back in the same position so it will take time for them to bed-in again. They may not have torqued everything back correctly. They may have disturbed the balancing weights - the alloy ones stick on the inside and can be removed quite easily. I would ask them to chech these issues.

I very much doubt its warped disc/s.

To replace the bearing the brake disc would have been removed and if it was not refitted on the same position on the hub the rust build up may have resulted in the hub to disc mating surface not being completely flat resulting in the symptoms you now have.

Just to update this - got new front discs and pads fitted and voila - all ok! I was surprised that this worked but the pads were right on the line so were due to replaced soon anyway.

I'm just thankful that it wasn't too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this - got new front discs and pads fitted and voila - all ok! I was surprised that this worked but the pads were right on the line so were due to replaced soon anyway.

Just a point for someone esle who may have this. I had the brake judder and i replaced front pads and discs, but it didnt go untill i replaced the Rear pads. !! . Hope this helps someone.

Hi

How much was "not too expensive"?

• 1 month later...

Hi

How much was "not too expensive"?

Hi Steve - haven't got the receipt to hand but it was around £250 mark - both front discs and pads and labour.

• 11 months later...

OK. I see the vibration-when-braking reason.

BUT.....why would it vibrate at 60+?

Would a new bearing cause this -or in other circumstances, a worn one?

My theory is as follows, to replace the bearing the brake disc was removed then refitted when the work was done.

If the rust build up on the disc and hub was not removed it could cause the disc not to run true and therefore you would get a judder problem.

Disc to hub mating surfaces should always be cleaned thoroughly before assembly.

The original complaint was judder at 60 (i.e. just driving NOT braking) -as well as judder when braking.

Hence my follow-on query.

i can see the braking reasons. Would "judder at 60" just mean that the brake was catching (Caliper seizing etc?) or something else. ?

Another cause of judder can be prop shaft wobble, but not -I guess - relating to braking......would the car judder when braking if it WAS prop shaft problems (Seals etc) ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links