Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Had The Ipod/iphone Connector Fitted?

I have a '55 plate RX400h, with the standard stereo and SatNav (not the ML).

I asked at a Lexus dealer today regarding getting the Iphone adaptor fitted, costing about £200 all in. Its the one that goes inside the glove box.

I had heard from somewhere that the kit does away with the CD multichanger, but the guy in the dealer stated that it is a seperate unit that actually comes on the SatNav screen, and is controlled from there too. It allows you to still use the CD/Tape/radio etc as usual.

I am not convinced he is correct, as it contradicts what i have heard before.

Does anyone have a definitive answer for me?

I asked at a Lexus dealer today regarding getting the iPhone adaptor fitted, costing about £200 all in. Its the one that goes inside the glove box.

I had heard from somewhere that the kit does away with the CD multichanger, but the guy in the dealer stated that it is a seperate unit that actually comes on the SatNav screen, and is controlled from there too. It allows you to still use the CD/Tape/radio etc as usual.

Yes. I had one fitted to my IS250, and I transferred it to the IS-F. The unit plugs into an auxiliary port in the CD multichanger and shows up as an additional CD drive, so you can still use the CD/Tape??/radio. I will add that both my cars have the ML system, but it should not make a difference.

I asked at a Lexus dealer today regarding getting the iPhone adaptor fitted, costing about £200 all in. Its the one that goes inside the glove box.

I fitted my own to my rx350 and can definitely say that it it is in addition to the existing CD player. It comes with a harness and you unplug the plug from the back of the unit, plug the plug of the harness into the stereo and the old plug into a socket on the harness. This gives you two cd players one of which is the ipod.

There are 4 units available that I am aware of

1) Lexus - expensive and lacking features (think it is basically a low end dennison)

2) Grom - basic and cheap

3) Vaistech - the only one that really does video

4) Dice - probably the best of the bunch feature wise

There is also a dennison but know almost nothing about it. My understanding is that it is playlists only.

If you do a search on here you will come up with pleanty of pointers on all 4. I fitted a vaistech but will probably replace it with a Dice as it is the only one that allows you to look at albums by artist. The others where applicable let you get all songs by an artist or a list of all albulms and as I have a 160gb that I basically use as a jukebox in the car it didnt work so I ended up just using the ipod itself to control it (manual mode)

If you are confident enough it is a straightforward job to do oneself once you follow the instructions here (use double sided tape or similar to make sure you dont drop the screw)

GRom:-

http://www.carputer-shop.co.uk/ipod-iphone-kits-c-1/ipod-iphone-adapter-toyota-lexus-p-31

Dice

http://www.dal-tec.com/index.php

http://www.incaripod.com/Brand/DICE_Electronics/DICE_Electronics_iPod_Integration_Kit

Vais

http://www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=66&category_id=44&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

http://www.vaistech.com/products/home.php

Dension

http://www.incaripod.com/Brand/Dension

Other/various

http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/

How to install

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-second-generation/227901-vaistech-sli-installation-instructions-w-pics-for-04-07-rx.html

Before you buy read the manuals carefully and make sure you understand how you can select music on the ipod especially if you want to use the touch screen. I would only ever buy a model with manual control ie where you can use the normal ipod controls if need be - at least then if the interface is dire or problematic you can use the ipod.

Also make sure it is compatible with your ipod model.

I MAKE NO WARRANTY ON THE RETAILERS SITES LISTED HERE

rgds

Stephen

I fitted the Grom unit quite a while back. Love it to bits. In fact I haven't loaded a single CD into the changed since!

Do a search for posts made by myself and you'll find some fitting instructions too!

Ta.

Yes. I had one fitted to my IS250, and I transferred it to the IS-F. The unit plugs into an auxiliary port in the CD multichanger and shows up as an additional CD drive, so you can still use the CD/Tape??/radio. I will add that both my cars have the ML system, but it should not make a difference.

I fitted the Dension 300 gateway for my ipod on my 55 plate 400. It plays any selection including playlists/all music with or without shuffle. The controls on the steering wheel control the ipod. I do not have sat nav, but the screen shows CD1. This is in addition to the 6 disc changer. The tape deck is not affected. Cost about £250 including labour. If you want to do it yourself the unit costs about £175. Regards Linehill

Thanks for the advice and links so far, i have a lot to read.

I have the iPhone 4, but can only see one of those that actually list theirs as compatable.

Think that it is the same as the Iphone 3 but would get confirmation from whoever you are looking at.

• 1 month later...

I have fitted the GROM one myself, cost around £80 and took 30 minutes to install. I like that I can choose whether to control using the ipod or select playlists (upto 10) using the disc buttons. The latest version also has an AUX in for use by another device....

Simple, cheap and sounds good.

I followed Normski's post to do the install.

I have fitted the GROM one myself, cost around £80 and took 30 minutes to install. I like that I can choose whether to control using the ipod or select playlists (upto 10) using the disc buttons. The latest version also has an AUX in for use by another device....

Sorted! Glad everything went well B)

Where did you get it from?

I still havent got mine yet, but intend to.