Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possible Creak On Rear Suspension?

kev dood

Hi All,

Been away from the forum for a while for various reasons, but need your help!

I just noticed today, that there is this finny creaking noise from the rear of my car. I think it is coming from the suspension, but when driving it sounds like either that or loose exhaust/baffles or some plastic thing flapping around/scraping on something.

When I parked up with handbrake on, I pressed down on the rear of the car and there is a mad creaking coming from the rear. When driving in reverse though I also noticed it sounded more like a rubber creaking like a rubber cone/bush being dry and rubbing on metal when things turned!

Has anyone had any similar issues or know what it could be?

I did change the shocks around 1.5 yrs ago and mileage since then has been low. They were for orig KYB shocks which I htink are gas and oil filled. I would be annoyed if it were these that have gone so quickly!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Slight update.

I got under the car the other day and everything looks fine. The shocks are dry and the springs look fine and are seated ok.

The only thing I could think of is that either a rubber bush is knackered or its one of the bolts that go through the wishbone or where the shocks mount on the wishbone or something similar.

The sound is a little like a metal grating/squeak/creaking. Like when you see old cars a "rocking" with a little extra carricular fun!!

Is it possible to replace all the bushes yourself or are they a pain with pressing them in/out etc?

Someone must have had a similar issue surely?

ah ha, thats a good idea. Thanks, will give that a go. I sprayed all the bushes I could see with Silicon spray the other day after reading that might help, but it had no affect.

Would I have to disassemble this area to give it a proper grease up then? Is this section covered in the service manual at all? Just wondering which ones are the D bushes?

• 2 weeks later...

ah ha, thats a good idea. Thanks, will give that a go. I sprayed all the bushes I could see with Silicon spray the other day after reading that might help, but it had no affect.

Would I have to disassemble this area to give it a proper grease up then? Is this section covered in the service manual at all? Just wondering which ones are the D bushes?

just remove the two 12mm on either side the bar will drop down and you can remove the d bush...

• 3 weeks later...

update - changed the rear anti roll bar bushes as only cheap, but I still have the creaking and its driving me nuts!

I was thinking of disconnecting the drop links and seeing if I still get the creaking sound, to try and isolate where is might be coming from. I am fairly sure its a rubber bush somewhere, but not sure which one!! Its a little odd how its both sides though and they both started out the blue at the same time!

Any more clues anyone?

Are rear wishbone bushes expensive? Not sure what else it could be really?! Seems worse when I reverse it onto the driveway! I guess if I jack up a side at the time and then try each wheel independantly then it might help.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links