Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remote Locking Query

I got sent this in an email and wondered if it was possible or the usual "super virus that will wipe your hard drive" guff.

I locked my car. As I walked away I heard my car door unlock. I went back and locked my car again three times. Each time, as soon as I started to walk away, I would hear it unlock again!! Naturally alarmed, I looked around and there were two guys sitting in a car in the fire lane next to the store. They were obviously watching me intently, and there was no doubt they were somehow involved in this very weird situation . I quickly chucked the errand I was on, jumped in my car and sped away. I went straight t o the police station, told them what had happened, and found out I was part of a new, and very successful, scheme being used to gain entry into cars. Two weeks later, my friend's son had a similar happening....

While traveling, my friend's son stopped at a roadside rest to use the bathroom. When he came out to his car less than 4-5 minutes later, someone had gotten into his car and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigator, briefcase.....you name it. He called the police and since there were no signs of his car being broken into, the police told him he had been a victim of the latest robbery tactic -- there is a device that robbers are using now to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your key-chain locking device..

They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are going inside of the store, restaurant, or bathroom and that they now have a few minutes to steal and run. The police officer said to manually lock your car door-by hitting the lock button inside the car -- that way if there is someone sitting in a parking lot watching for their next victim, it will not be you.

When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting, it does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key chain, it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be instantly stolen.

This is very real.

Be wisely aware of what you just read and please pass this note on. Look how many times we all lock our doors with our remote just to be sure we remembered to lock them -- and bingo, someone has our code...and whatever was in our car.

I got sent this in an email and wondered if it was possible or the usual "super virus that will wipe your hard drive" guff.

True or not, with keyless entry versions, just press the button on the door-handle to lock which saves fumbling for the fob, and this can't happen.

True or not, with keyless entry versions, just press the button on the door-handle to lock which saves fumbling for the fob, and this can't happen.

I cannot remember the last time I used the keyfob to lock or unlock the doors. the tale sounds plausible though, as presumably all you would need is a scanner and transmitter.:unsure:

I've not heard this one before where they're effectively letting you lock the car and then opening it again (which is more scary to be honest). I didn't think that was possible with modern cars and the rolling codes?

The one I've heard is that they use a radio jammer to prevent your remote from working - which will make some leave the car unlocked (if you're just making a quick stop and a little stupid).

I seem to remember a few years back Casio made a watch that allowed you to "copy" certain types of remote signals. Of course the idea was to be able to allow you to change the TV channels and other remote appliances (yes I know they work on a kind of infa red type visual signal). However I think I remember reading that the digital watch could also "copy" remote signals from car key fobs? I have no idea how, all I know is that the watches were withdrawn shortly after.

Keith

Didn't know that could work, would have thought the signal would be too complex to effectively work with a tv remote.

Either way this only applies to pretty old cars as I'm not sure infrared is used anymore.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links