Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Servicing And Timing Belt

Right thats my timing belt done and tensioner. Genuine toyota parts for £88. Took 4 hours in total, should have been 2 but it took 2 hours to get the crank pulley and bolt off. Had to take the radiator/fans out to fit a gear puller in to get the pulley off. Starts and drives the exact same but now the engine management light is on, any ideas guys?? Cheers

• 2 months later...

Im just thinking that alot was unplugged without the Battery disconnected which the ecu would recognise as a fault. So i assumed that once put back together the light showed until next startup as it realised there was no fault. Same happened with the abs light when i had a wheel bearing changed says the garage who fitted it

EML light shouldnt come on at all when replacing the timing belt. Not unless you unplugged things with the igniton turned on. If the igniton is of then the ecu is of so no reason for it to detect anything being unplugged. I recently changed head gesket timing belt water pump clutch radiator and thermo stat all in same day i dint get any eml lights on and i unplugged just about everything on the car.

Yes , that will do it. Great way to crack of the pully and best way to turn EML light on. If you had anything disconected when you flicked it over thats why your light was on,especially if you had more than one thing off at same time. Think thats the end of your problem mate.

Yes i have done it myself many times. Theres a few people on here that say its not a good idea but i never had a problem with it. About 21/22 years ago i work at my local Ford dealer. The c.v.h engine Ford used back then needed a timing belt change every 36,000 miles. The mechanics and myself (apprentice) all used to put a spanner on the crank pully and jam it against the anti roll bar to get the crank pully of. So spanner on the nut and crank the engine is a system i have been using for years.