Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Rear Shock Absorbers ?

Hi all,

after i got home a few nights ago i noticed the ride was a bit bouncy. I got out and checked the nearside suspension and its very very bouncy and soft, just the nearside. Is it my shock absorber that has gone?

Ive had a look on eBay and ive found a set for £160 delivered (rear only) this seems quite expensive to me? where else should I look?

Also, is it an easy job? do you think its manageable job to do myself?

any help/advice is greatly appreciated :)

ps, I just have the standard sport suspension, nothing fancy here

after i got home a few nights ago i noticed the ride was a bit bouncy. I got out and checked the nearside suspension and its very very bouncy and soft, just the nearside. Is it my shock absorber that has gone?

Ive had a look on ebay and ive found a set for £160 delivered (rear only) this seems quite expensive to me? where else should I look?

Also, is it an easy job? do you think its manageable job to do myself?

any help/advice is greatly appreciated :)

ps, I just have the standard sport suspension, nothing fancy here

Hi Mate,

Bouncy is never a good word to be used about a car! I would be fairly sure that's a shock absorber although if you could get to look behind the affected wheel and see if there's any fluid coming from it, that would help to confirm it. If there isn't any fluid though, that doesn't mean it's OK necessarily. The nearside is obviously taking more of a hammering these days due to all the potholes about!

My subjective advice? Ignore eBay for a while. There's millions of places that can do shocks and most will quote you a price including fitting. Don't forget that Kwik-Fit will often price match surprisingly low prices and my local branch is good so I'm sure others are too.

It's not a job I would look at doing myself, I know my limits and they're quite low!

Try googling "your town name/shock absorber/fitting" and that should get you started.

I hope this helps you.

Nev

Cheers nev,

lol, yeah its does sound silly now i think of it.

Its a lot softer on the near side than the other side. and the handling has become very unpredictable. It just feels like its bouncing a lot over nothing, very strange when one side on the rear is staying composed and the other is up and down like there's no tomorrow.

The cars coming up to 10 years old though, so I would assume its just wear and tear

Cheers nev,

lol, yeah its does sound silly now i think of it.

Its a lot softer on the near side than the other side. and the handling has become very unpredictable. It just feels like its bouncing a lot over nothing, very strange when one side on the rear is staying composed and the other is up and down like there's no tomorrow.

The cars coming up to 10 years old though, so I would assume its just wear and tear

Mine is just coming up to 10 years old as well, and for the last couple of months I've been thinking of changing my shocks as there's a little bit of vagueness going round fast corners. So it sounds like that's the sort of age they're going at, if that helps?

Nev

• 3 weeks later...

Go for the KYB ones, they are cheaper and actually have much better handling characteristics than the oem ones, I put them on my last IS and they were great. I am planning to get them for my current car as mine are feeling a bit spongy.

I am trying to reheighten my IS300 Sportcross, the previous owner fitted Konis at the front and the speedbumps round here are a nightmare, i see i can get KYB for £140 delivered, would a garage charge much to fit them? I'm in Glasgow if anyone can recommend anyone. Thanks and sorry for hijacking this post.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

www.buypartsby.co.uk do the shocks for around £100 + vat for a pair of front shocks and the same for the rear. Am I right in thinking that I would only need 2 pairs?

A lot cheaper than my local garage that quoted me £700 to supply and fir mid rage shocks!

Thanks,

SJ

• 1 year later...

are front shocks easy to fit if any one can let me know

If your replacing the full unit with spring you can do both in 2hrs or less, if you have to remove spring and fit to new damper a lot longer.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links