Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Problems Would You Advise Others When Buying A Is200?

Steve

my first IS200, picked it up in Kent drove home to Coventry no problems, although along the way i noticed the following

AC lights up but doesnt get cold, re-gas required i think

Lights seem very dim at night

Dashboard indicator for ligths does not illuminate when they are switched on

I dont have a user manual or Fuse diagram

seems to pull to left although tracking suggests they are correct at kwik-fit

As for the cd stereo.... actually it's really a straight forward thing... take out the unit... removed the cover and clean the lens. I use my gf "cleansing toner" with soft cotton and IT WORKS.... now it's play any burns cd's format.

I myself just recently bought a IS200 Sport of 2001(after many months of searching ) .... it's an old car just need to take to garage for the timming cambelt changed now.

I'm not an expert on this but this is what i do when I bought my Is200 and a lot of tips from LOC

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just joined as Ive just got my Lexus two weeks ago. I'm a mechancic and have been looking after the car I have bought for the last 5 or 6 years and had always told the previous owner I would buy it when he was done with it. It has done 238000 miles and feels as tight as some 2 year old cars that I work on. I have known this car for ages and know its faults so I hope this is helpful.

Power steering pump went at about 150k, the symptoms were noisy steering at rest and it felt notchy when turned.

CD unit went wrong - eBay replacement and really easy to fit.

Front wheel bearing but to be fair its done galactic mileage but be warned they are expensive. The symptoms are a whine or droning noise when driving.

Been reading about tyre wear problems, this is probably the front lower arms, you can get bush kits but its best to replace the arm, these were Lexus only bits and dear at about £110 per arm without the fitting. Grab the front wheel and pull it toward the front and back of the car, if they are shot you will see and feel movement, it will be obvious its too much.

Front brake calipers need properly servicing else it will eat brake discs, they should be cleaned and the sliders copper slipped to prevent this. I would only fit quality discs and pads as Ive seen (not on this IS200) front pads without the heat dissipation groove and discs that rub the rear stone gaurd when the car is cornered from cheaper parts. Check for brake judder, make sure you get them hot on a test they shouldnt judder through the steering wheel.

Not known a cambelt let go on a Lexus (I know it has happened) but the previous owner never had it done on mine in over 150k miles! This was a nightmare and would have written the car off at its mileage if I had been paying a garage bill. We had to access the flywheel to lock it as the bottom pulley would not come off even with an HGV impact tool. This would be my biggest warning, check it has had its belt and idlers.

Sounds all doom and gloom but it really isnt, they are brilliant cars and I would highly recommend them.

Cheers

Tommo

• 1 month later...

Great tips guys. Used them wisely (ish) and am now the proud owner of a is200 1999, auto. 83k miles. Love it so much. Makes me smile when I drive it.

Just one problem. A knocking from the rear wheel and a metal on metal scraping noise. Only occurred after I jet washed it. Hope don't mind me posting on here.

Any ideas? Taking it to my mechanic later on today.

• 4 weeks later...

still no mention of the keys... the car has 3 keys... if you only have one this will be hell to replace but it is do-able ;) make sure you use it as a means of negotiation ;)

• Like 1

Wow, for a notoriously reliable car, they seem to have their fair share of common problems... I'm beginning to wonder what i've brought into.... :-/ Eeeeep. My IS200 has 92k on the clock and the cambelt is due in 8K or before as is a full service which was last done last april. I need to magic some money out of my a*se and fast by the sounds of it...

NAh if you don't have problems now or when you bought it you should be fine like i said the worst bit on the car is the keys... the rest is do-able if you are a bit handy ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Things to look out for

- Stereo Changer tends to fault out when ejecting/inserting cd's.

- The key housing tends to snap around the bolt section so make suer you not only get one and the grey master but you also get a spare.

- Inner front tyre wear.

- Drivers side calliper ceasing to work causing uneven break wear.

THE DREADED KNOCKING NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is very common in the IS200 models (any of them regardless of Age/Sport/Altezza/TTE/SE/Colour/Trim etc.)

Knocking noise cause by 1 of 2 things

- Front lower arm bushes worn or f**ked (get it checked).

- Break pads slipping in the calliper, this can be resolved by good old fashioned copper grease and usually occurs during hot sunny days or very wet days

Regardless of these minor problems I have had no other problems with my Lex and have loved every mile driving it.

Please feel free to correct me on any of the above but the knocking noise I have have had paid to have corrected at a mere £1273.88 with Toyota Invoices if you would like me to fax or e-mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone mentioned the alloys aren't the best?

I had a conversation with the local Lexus dealership service guy when i was getting my cars full service and warranty history before i bought it.

He was saying that at one point 90% of the worldwide warranty claims for alloys were coming from the UK!!! Also I don't know whether it's something that's a nationwide thing or just my local Lexus dealership but he said they have a thing where you arrange to take you car in and they will replace however many of your corroded alloys you want with refurbed ones for £50 each. So you could get a full set done for £200 and it be done in an hour or so rather than having to wait for your wheels to be refurbed etc...

Cheers

Dave.

Hi, I have an IS200 W plate 2000, and have just started to get the strange noise from the NRF wheel which occassionally sends vibrations through the steering to point where i have to pull over. This is usually remidied by a swift kick of the wheel. However, I have taken the wheel off, done the push pull, check brakes for wear and discs for warping but nothing, I even took it to the garage, and would you believe it, the car didn't do it once in the hour I was there. It does it about every 100 miles for a minute or so (no warning lights come on). That's one thing, the other is the radiator. temperature guage is showing normal, but every now and then I get steam coming out of the bonnett. The fluid levels are fine and not dropping though. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers. :eerrrmm:

oh it's done just over 190k with everything else still working perfectly.

the steam coming from under the bonnet is one of the coolant pipes that go into the engine... usually that means the pipe has had it at the connection bit... luckily the pipes can be shortened but before you can get to them you'll have to remove the air intake box.

Hi, I have an IS200 W plate 2000, and have just started to get the strange noise from the NRF wheel which occassionally sends vibrations through the steering to point where i have to pull over. This is usually remidied by a swift kick of the wheel. However, I have taken the wheel off, done the push pull, check brakes for wear and discs for warping but nothing, I even took it to the garage, and would you believe it, the car didn't do it once in the hour I was there. It does it about every 100 miles for a minute or so (no warning lights come on). That's one thing, the other is the radiator. temperature guage is showing normal, but every now and then I get steam coming out of the bonnett. The fluid levels are fine and not dropping though. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers. :eerrrmm:

oh it's done just over 190k with everything else still working perfectly.

I thought I'd add a comment.

I replaced the radiator and fans £59.99 scrap yard. And all works perfectly now.

Thank you for your advice. :driving:

Wow, for a notoriously reliable car, they seem to have their fair share of common problems... I'm beginning to wonder what i've brought into.... :-/ Eeeeep. My IS200 has 92k on the clock and the cambelt is due in 8K or before as is a full service which was last done last april. I need to magic some money out of my a*se and fast by the sounds of it...

Not sure if my cambelt is an isolated problem or not, but this is what i was faced with after removing the top cambelt cover. The belt wasn't due for changing for another 12k. Needless to say it got changed it.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1612611187809.126085.1012141383&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=3972803151133&set=a.1612611187809.126085.1012141383&type=3&theater

• 2 weeks later...

I have an IS200 and was on the motorway today. There were major queues and as I was braking heavily, there was major shaking in the steering wheel and a pull to the right. Took it into the local Kwik Fit and said the front disks were warped and the driver side caliper was seized. Got the discs and pads replaced, and they were able to unseize the caliper. Fixed the problem completely, but now hearing noise coming from the far side rear disk. Not a major problem but will have to eventually replace the pads and disks on them. :-( Otherwise, the car is amazing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What about the problem with a whistle that comes from the wheels when over around 20mph???

Mine suffered from this issue and was sorted by the local dealer during a service. I've seen others mention it on their cars and the issue seems to have always been caused by dirty rear brakes or having to play about with the rear brake guards etc.....

I've also heard two other IS's that have driven past me when walking that have had the same whistling as they've gone past me.

Always worth remembering about this one as it's something that drives you mad when your car suffers from it!!!

Cheers

Dave.

• 1 month later...

My car has 87,000 km on the odometer and the only problems i have had with the car is a noise in the sunroof and the valve cover was leaking small amounts of engine oil, i myself and a friend changed the gasket which cost me only $20.00 and no more leaking oil but as for the sunroof the noise its still there.

• 1 month later...