Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Problems Would You Advise Others When Buying A Is200?

Steve

Check clip is present for front drivers car mat - if there is one - this was an original recall issue on the earlier cars due to the good old Toyota accelerator sticking due to slipping car mat issue! When will they learn!

Oh my God! This is something I've been looking out for. I own a yr2000 is200 se and have recently had the mat slide forward and cause my accelator to stick fully open when driving on the motorway. I have just finished writing to Lexus to ask if there was a recall, but for the time being, no mat for me! Don't want to experience that again! You mention another recall regarding brakes? I'm hoping Lexus will get in contact with me and offer a no cost correction to the mat problem as it is potentially lethal.

A couple of time's last week when I started the car the engine started to race its tits off, turned the key off pretty sharpish, then realised what the issue was and moved the carpet back away from the pedal, not the original one but another I'd fitted when I swapped to the is from my other car, admittedly if it had happened when driving it could have proved interesting to say the least.

A couple of time's last week when I started the car the engine started to race its tits off, turned the key off pretty sharpish, then realised what the issue was and moved the carpet back away from the pedal, not the original one but another I'd fitted when I swapped to the is from my other car, admittedly if it had happened when driving it could have proved interesting to say the least.

Toyota, they'll never learn about the sticking accelerator! Lol.... :)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I'd like to add (mines a IS200 Sport 2001 model) - check the front coil springs that they aren't broken.

I agree with the brake calipers, my OSF tends to stick every Jan/Feb - apparently water moisture rusting the cylinder - some solution is new seals, these I believe are only available through Lexus (NOT aftermarket outlets), although you can find sets which have been refurbished (OOCH).

Rear number plates bulbs are a pain to change.

Check that you have locking wheel nut.

Check that you have both front seat adjusters intact, expensive (I think for a piece of plastic).

Also the CD issue - I found that if you have one stuck that a bang on the side (passenger side) with hand generally jarred the system. In future I believe its best to eject the CD's in order (1 to 6) to avoid jam.

Nice car to drive and handles well

• Like 1

well lets see now. my partner bought one from new. SHOW ROOM..

an IS200 sport. now has 155000 on the clock. has always been to lexus\toyota for service as lexus do not repair maintain them, them selfs. it is basically a TOYOTA .

Lately with my self sending car to local garage to get new tyres fitted. asked my garage if I could see underneath (as me thinking I might get a fresh thrill) as the IS 200 are very low slump cars...

To my hora noticed much serface rust on under carriage and much deeper corrosion on bolt heads and sub-frame. basically theres not much you can remove from car with-out an oxyacetalyn torch! and complete replacement parts. that is if you wish or must!! replace the many rubber bushes or dampers or any other parts that are fitted to this model!

OK so theirs not many years left till M.O.T fail and a demand majar parts to be replaced. but I know that there is still a year or two or a good few thousand miles left till that happens, with a little extra TLC.

Well lets gat back to the real reason I was keen to see underneath our IS200 and this is a common fault on this model, when driving the front wheels grip road as if you are in a road rut, pulling car to left or right, but I know this is nothing to do with camber or tow. as I had just recently had the car computer tracked. and a new set of tyres that are rapidly going bald on the inner edge,leaving 4mm tread on tyer not good.

on inspection found only lower support arm rubber bush to be at fault, lose. that needs replacing.

N\STK suspn. armlowe L48068-53010 £224.63 EACH+VAT car not worth it total loss

NSTK suspn.arm lowe L48660-53010 £169.71EACH+VAT car not worth it total loss

N\STK ball joint L43330-51935 £39.63EACH+VAT car not worth it total loss

I now get to the most annoying point that leaves me with anger and disgust with the motor industry, mostley with LEXUS!! their parts are very extortionate, Well I do have an old car after all, so my fault I guess. and i have not entered what I think of staff at LEXUX. in respect of this web site.

So MY ADVICE is don't GET one. not unles its done less than 10.000 miles. buy new or stay away!

my other car's is a 2010 VW passat. and\ 06 V8 JEEP and\ 04 VW GTDI...

ALL HAVE DONE OVER 80.000m.

what a shame as you can never hear our IS200 engine when its running.only when cooling fan kicks in, and its always had a polish or two per year like I said we have looked after her, but its time for her to GO.

Never again lexus.. but keeping my plate !777LEX.

Where do you lexus owners buy parts from. As I strongly feel that lexus do charge excessive amounts for parts?!

N\STK suspn.arm lowe L48660-53010 £169.71+VAT EACH

N\STK suspn.arm uppe L48610-59025£220.58+VAT EACH

this is very much needed as my car that i got from new that now has 155500m.

That now has a pull to the left or to the right side, I have at all times computer align wheels, but find tyres on front are wearing on inner edge! that is a common finding with this model. I do wish to keep my is 200 as I have always felt that it is a beautiful piece of engineering not to mention body shape..

but feel that what lexus want in £ for parts is in far execs of what the part\car is worth..

could I please have advise as to where I can find replacement of decent quality that are at an afordable and far price.. saving me hours of anguish. john.

• 1 month later...

I am going to look at a 2004 IS200 Sport this weekend.

The timing belt has not been replaced but the car has only done 44500 miles. It also has a full service history - albeit partially not through a Lexus dealer.The seller is a private individual and the car condition is allegedly excellent (aren't they all)

Allowing £500 to £600 for the timing belt and with the comprehensive list of what I should look out for from the forms, can anybody give me some idea of what I should be paying.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

I am going to look at an IS200 this weekend.

The timing belt has not been replaced but the car has only done 44500 miles. It also has a full service history - albeit partially not through a Lexus dealer

Allowing £500 for the timing belt and with the comprehensive list of what I should look out for from the forms, can anybody give me some idea of what I should be paying.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bought a 2000 is200 sport manual, done 173k miles, bought for £450 with a veilside bodykit too.

Issues I have are the ECU has gone ( so shows up all sorts of errors on dash), the tyres need replacing ( very bald), front fog light has gone on right side, leak in boot left side, power steering motor has gone and needs replacing. But apart from that everything else is ok, only costs £300 to repair all issues.

• 5 months later...

have a ls220d owned it 5 years now and was not new when bought. currently 113000 miles on clock 2006 model top of range one with sunroof sat nav etc etc great car still drives well but mpg not so great, around 30mpg. only problems in 5 years discs and pads front and rear just normal wear and tear, DPF is a pain as do not do a lot of mway miles so clogs up so far got away with using forte dpf cleaner and going for a burn lol lotsa smoke but does the trick for another few months and just recently vsc coming on for what I am hoping is brake light switch hope this helps peeps ps gone through about 6 tyres in this time as well lol as cannot rotate as front and rear diff sizes lol

• 1 month later...

Handy tips here thanks. Just registered having spoken to a customer (I'm a gas engineer) today when I spotted their IS200 had a cords showing on the NS Front tyre. She said that was the least of the problems as it was misfiring and it might need all new coils after having a couple recently.

They are scrapping it and want just over £300 having been offered that. I'm wondering if it's worth my while as I have a mate who runs a garage so I can get work done on it at a decent price. Sounds like the tyre might be the lower arm mentioned here in various posts and maybe a coil diagnosed properly? Worth a punt? Not sure on other details yet but looked in decent order, 2005 plate and I get the impression theirs from new.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All,

Many thanks for this very informative thread: I've just come across it while thinking about possibly buying an IS200 at this incredibly low market pricing. 

Btw on sticking brake disc calipers eating pads etc: Molykote G-3407 caliper pin grease developed by Dow Corning specifically for this application appears to be the best one out there:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252501250922

http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/default.aspx?R=8808EN&DCCSF=382EN&DCCSF=103EN

Used it on my current Honda Accord after having enough grief from copper grease. So far so good. 

• 1 month later...

Owned an IS200 for 2 years. The issue with worn tyres is super common. There is a garage capable of adjusting the camber, if anyone remembers their name please indicate it for any future owner. After I had that camber change (about £150) I never had a problem again with uneven tyre wear.

other issues, well let me say. When the car worked well, it was a joy to drive. But when things went wrong, and in my case they did, the cost was through the roof. I've had broken wheel bearing, broken speed sensor, head gasket failure . All before 90,000 miles. Mpg is dreadful for a car like this. I also found that some mechanics completely refused to touch a lexus, telling me that the cars are well over engineered. I can vouch for this as I did my own stereo upgrade and although the electrics were easy to do, the amount of fastening and cable ties that I had to undo to get to the cables of interest was crazy. Fantastic in one way as it explains the lack of strange noises even when going over rough terrain. But you can see that if this is how the whole car is made, mechanics could be put off working on one. 

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

I owne a is200 51 plate.

I bought the car last year. Now the car done 160k.

Last time timing belt got done was on 96k. No problem with the car.

How ever recently I noticed the car usin lot more fuel than usual !

Any one can advise me about unusual fuel uses? 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

A must to check, the pre catalytic and the main catalytic for any clogged of broken bits.

If you have a cheap obd connector like me with the 5 buck bt mini check all the sensors  fueltrim in long and short trims, any thinking noise and the status of the water pump, timing belt and alternator, i think that those are the main thinks to check.

If you can lift it and check all the bushings and joints, ohh and any oil leak.

But the car it self its kinda bulletproof.