Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Problems Would You Advise Others When Buying A Is200?

Steve

What problems would you advise others when buying a IS200?

I am creating a buyers guide to help those who are looking to buy. I have some data but I would like further input please.

I will make sure your credited in the guide for your contribution.

This may take a month or two to compile so please add as many pointers as you can to this thread. I'll then place the guide up in a more prominent place when finished.

thanks guys

apart from all the background checks, such as V5C, engine numbers, VIN numbers, service history, you also can check past MOT records on DVLA website for free with the mileage.

now down to the car

1, overall conditions, extra attention to the give-way signs such as excess wear on steering wheel, gas peddle, seats.

2, accident/repair signs?

3, timing belt/water pump changed? evidence of changing?

4, ball joints

5, uneven ware of any tyres?

6, start the engine when cold with bonnet open, listen to it, after it warms up shut the bonnet, you shouldn't be able to hear the engine running

etc.... I only got a few mins to response to this list, I am sure others will get you a much better list, will come back to update this when I got a few mins

Felix

Check power steering by locking each way.

Check rear hub bushes.

Gearboxs in a lot of is's are poor

Check for clutch judder.

That's just a few off hand for the moment.

Reliable they may be but there are several known issues and price of parts from lexus is pretty steep.

• 2 weeks later...

clutch judder is a pain, but then its so common and can be throughout the life of the car, so am not sure if its a walk away thing or not.

Also, check radio works - try inserting all 6 CD's from fresh, playing and ejecting (removing fully) then reinserting. Error 3 is common issue as well as missfeeding.

Check clip is present for front drivers car mat - if there is one - this was an original recall issue on the earlier cars due to the good old Toyota accelerator sticking due to slipping car mat issue! When will they learn!

Check inner left well in the boot for signs of water - apparently there is a drain for the sunroof in there which can get blocked and the boot gets wet.

Check full size alloy spare is present - they all came with one.

Not all IS200's had isofix, so if this is important, check in the rear seat gaps - it cannot be retro fitted. Think it was standard from Sept 2001.

There is also a current recall on the IS200 from 2003 I think regarding the brake cylinder or something.

Check if original windscreen is fitted or if its a Pilkington replacement - they have a common problem with leaking around the heater cable from the bottom part of the screen and can fry the main relay/control board if you are unlucky - over £500 to replace! Pilkington/AutoGlass should be aware of the issue but I doubt they have done anything about it other than be careful when fitting. Just something to be aware of - you can check under the drivers side corner of the dash for signs of water - or ask the owner if he has ever had issues with the front lights being left one and not turning off - or with locking/alarm functions.

IS200 exhaust system is stainless steel but they are starting to get a little old now so might be worth checking the condition.

Check braking in a straight line as the frontg calipers sliding pins and lower pistons have a nasty habit of siezing.

Listen out for a scraping noise from the rear brakes - if had newish rear discs, as the commonised the parts and the inner lip rubs on the inner backing plate - Lexus rectification - grind it back!

Think spark plugs are 100k lifespan so if mileage higher than this then check they have been renewed. (denso iridium)

Inner tyre wear is common and to some extent expected of a car with wide tyres and from camber - but it shoudl NOT be excessive if tyres are not that high mileage.

Front ball joints used to go a lot, as did water pumps sometimes. Check cambelt as idler roller used to push the belt onto the cover and wear it down.

Don't worry about the fact that all the nuts/bolt heads etc are rusty to hell - that seems normal for Lexus! Grrr.

• 4 weeks later...

Touch wood, the only probs I've had on my 120K IS200 are:

- cd deck died;

- ball joints;

- bonnet hood rod recepticle snapped;

- fuel release flap release tensioner snapped; and

Other than that, very reliable!

• 1 month later...

- cd deck died;

- ball joints;

How did you fix your cd deck problem? Mine wont work. The tape works great but not the cd deck... is it costly to fix it? ive got a cd stuck in there now as well (upside down)... HELP... !!!

• 3 weeks later...

- cd deck died;

- ball joints;

How did you fix your cd deck problem? Mine wont work. The tape works great but not the cd deck... is it costly to fix it? ive got a cd stuck in there now as well (upside down)... HELP... !!!

Have you sorted your CD player yet?

It is quite an easy fix, once you have done it once. If you are careful you CAN remove a jammed CD from the carrier. But you need 4 hands!! Shout if its still a problem.

• 2 months later...

i have error 1 with cd player, looked at replacing with uprated cd player but opted to buy a £15 tape player/ipod convertor from argos, plug into tape deck connect to ipod/blackberry/audio device and press play on audio device, works a treat and saves spending on new surround etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly what I came in here to ask! Fantastic!

One question:

Can you see the ball joints with the car on the road - how does the problem manifest itself? Noisy? Notchy?

Ta. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Known issues to look for;

Replacement windscreen - They leak if not fitted correctly and cause no end of problems.

Do the headlights work correctly, or has the circuit been modified? If its modified, it will cost to get it fixed as the Theft ECU is at fault.

Stainless Exhaust system, yes they have one, but as most are now 11/12 years old, they WILL be getting tired, has it been replaced?

Alternatively, stay away. Problems they throw up are costly to repair if you are a dealer only person and hate getting your hands dirty.

• 3 weeks later...

check calipers they intend to seize as my both have and also any rattling noise's as experianced in my previous is200

Hi I have a big if wobble from steering wheel at 60 and alot when I brake. Did you have this with seized calipers

• 2 weeks later...

Would also add the infamous 'knock', usually on the n/s/f. I've had it for a long time, am just about to get the o/s top mount replaced as that's the only thing left to change. I'll report back.

i have error 1 with cd player, looked at replacing with uprated cd player but opted to buy a £15 tape player/ipod convertor from argos, plug into tape deck connect to ipod/blackberry/audio device and press play on audio device, works a treat and saves spending on new surround etc.

I have the Grom Audio iPod cable - it's brilliant! About £70, plugs straight into the back of the head unit and the connector is routed behind the dash through to the iPod in its cradle to the right of the drivers wheel, so it's all hidden. Sounds fantastic and charges at the same time - can't recommend it enough Grom link

Oh, and the head unit can also control the iPod e.g. next/previous track etc.

Hi guys, glad to introduce myself as a possible new entry into the lexus-owners community, currently in search of the right is200 :) I have read through the tips in this thread, which no doubt are very useful, and make sure I will be using them. Has the buyers' guide been completed as yet?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

- cd deck died;

- ball joints;

That made me laugh when you said you had a cd upside down lol, you can get a replacement second hand one off eBay this one has an hour left and is cheap http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS200-98-04-RADIO-MULTI-CD-CASSETTE-PLAYER-/200643598818?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb74a59e2 as for the cd in your maybe take it apart if its dead?

check calipers they intend to seize as my both have and also any rattling noise's as experianced in my previous is200

Hi I have a big if wobble from steering wheel at 60 and alot when I brake. Did you have this with seized calipers

This could be warped front discs. Had the same in mine - replaced with a new set of brembo discs (£80 from web) and all good now.

• 2 weeks later...

Check that the Security Wheel Locknut Key is not damaged and make sure that you know which of the many variations in design of the Security Locknuts is correct for the car in question. The Locknut should be in a box complete with a label listing the design style number of the item. If the locknut is damaged - a very common fault caused by using impact air wrenches when new tyres are fitted - without this identification number you are lost and the only way to get the locknuts off the wheels is to smash them off risking damage to the alloy wheels

hi all

new member to this forum and new owner of a Lexus IS200 2002

can i join in and ask a question for a problem that has arisen.

the steering seems to 'judder' when turning. this only seems to happen when the car is started from cold. this seems to clear by the time i've reached the end of the road.

any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

thanks in advance for any suggestions

terry

hi all

new member to this forum and new owner of a Lexus IS200 2002

can i join in and ask a question for a problem that has arisen.

the steering seems to 'judder' when turning. this only seems to happen when the car is started from cold. this seems to clear by the time i've reached the end of the road.

any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

thanks in advance for any suggestions

terry

low fluid or Air in the pas fluid?

• 2 months later...

I own a 53 plate IS200 and have done for the last 4 1/2 years or so. One previous owner and currently has 67k on the clock.

Problems when purchased (4 years ago) - clutch and flywheel replaced - all ok now but it was a very slight slip. Knocking noise on front offside - still persists (every now and then) despite shocks and top mounts replaced.

I fell for the corrosion on rear disc plates noise and ended up getting a bearing replaced ( but was refunded the cost when the problem was revealed)

No other problems - Battery is getting a bit jaded but is still the original (nearly 8 years old)