Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheelnut Key - Missing

Ok, issue number two on my impulsive buy of IS200, I noticed it didn't include the key for the alloy wheels. The Toyota branded box which is supposed to contain the key is there, but it's empty.

I take it I can order this from a Lexus/Toyota dealership? Anybody an idea about cost? Do I just supply the serial number on the back of this box? Or the car VIN number? :blink:

anybody knows if this will work?

http://www.dynomec.co.uk/index.html

Accidentally lost my security nut adapter a few weeks ago (non Lexus alloys). Fortunately I keep the studs greased and nuts torqued to the correct setting. Managed to fairly easily remove the security nuts using a slightly undersize old 12-point socket hammered on. Picked up a new set ofsecurity nuts on eBay at around £11 which are fine. I doubt if this would work if the nuts are very tight though!

All the Lexus locknuts come with a sticker showing the key number which should be attached to something secure,your V5C log book for example and kept for future reference.It is then just a case of quoting this number to a Lexus dealer who can then supply a replacement key,but if you don't have this either it may be as previously suggested a case of brute force removal.

It may be worth trying the original supplying dealer if the wheels are original as they may have a record from new.

Lexus dealer, serial No. on box. Not sure of price of key on it's own but a key with the 4 nuts is approx £30.

Right, an update. Phone various tyre places in the Enfield area, Kwik-Fit (aka Slow-Fit), ATS-Euromaster and none say they can remove it.

Then phoned Lexus, they'e quoting me £25 for a replacement set and an hours labour + vat, total £150!!! sh*t!!

Lexus dealer, serial No. on box. Not sure of price of key on it's own but a key with the 4 nuts is approx £30.

Right, an update. Phone various tyre places in the Enfield area, Kwik-Fit (aka Slow-Fit), ATS-Euromaster and none say they can remove it.

Then phoned Lexus, they'e quoting me £25 for a replacement set and an hours labour + vat, total £150!!! sh*t!!

Why do you need an hours labour, you only need the key.

Why do you need an hours labour, you only need the key.

They can only supply the key if I have the "key-code" (so says the parts guy), which I am not sure I have, or rather don't know where to find. The labour is if they need to replace the lock nuts with a new set, i.e. force the old ones off.

Hi Halfords do a laser wheel nut removal kit approx £17 will remove the locking nuts but render them useless so you will have to replace them .

works on a left hand thread principle & works best with an impact driver ,but can be done with a 1/2 in drive bar and a big hammer

:crybaby: Last resort

You know, looking at them Lexus locking wheel nuts aren't very secure - they protrude quite a bit.

It would be relatively easy to use an angle grinder to put a couple of flats on the circumference and then just get a big spanner on them.

I'd loosen all of the other wheel nuts first though, because the lockers aren't usually torqued up as much as the rest. Tightening the rest can pull the wheel tighter against the loosest nut, so the converse (loosening) is also true.

And seeing as Lexus alloys aren't that desireable, who says you need to replace the destroyed lockers like for like? Just get some standard wheel nuts from a breaker on eBay.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links