Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vsc Check / Traction Control / Engine Management

stevedrew72

Please help!

I've owned my 2007 (57) IS220D since march this year, and it has now completed 77000 miles.

It has full main dealer history upto 60000 miles, with the 70000 service being completed by a trusted local independant, following the Lexus schedule in full.

Driving up the M6 last week, the car seemed to hesitate under throttle as if being starved of fuel or similar, shortly afterwards the VSC Check / Traction Control and Engine Management lights all came on and I ended up being recovered by the AA back to my dealer in Essex.

The dealer have quoted the best part of £2000 to repair (DPNR?) the car, saying that Lexus wont contribute because its out of warranty (mileage only) and the last service wasnt completed by Lexus.

I've since spoken to Lexus customer services and they had 'no case logged'.

Has anyone else had this fault, and how was it handled by Lexus? Long is the legend of Lexus customer service, but thus far Im not feeling the love.

I appreciate I stepped outside the dealer network for the 70 k service, but hey it was half the price, and done to at least the same standard by someone I trust. Added to that it was out of warranty on the mileage side of things.

What I'm concerned about is whether this is a common eg known fault, if so I dont think I should just roll over and pay.

Since starting to type Lexus have offered to contribute, so my new bill will be £900......... Thoughts and ideas please guys

Please help!

I've owned my 2007 (57) IS220D since march this year, and it has now completed 77000 miles.

It has full main dealer history upto 60000 miles, with the 70000 service being completed by a trusted local independant, following the Lexus schedule in full.

Driving up the M6 last week, the car seemed to hesitate under throttle as if being starved of fuel or similar, shortly afterwards the VSC Check / Traction Control and Engine Management lights all came on and I ended up being recovered by the AA back to my dealer in Essex.

The dealer have quoted the best part of £2000 to repair (DPNR?) the car, saying that Lexus wont contribute because its out of warranty (mileage only) and the last service wasnt completed by Lexus.

Has anyone else had this fault, and how was it handled by Lexus? Long is the legend of Lexus customer service, but thus far Im not feeling the love.

I appreciate I stepped outside the dealer network for the 70 k service, but hey it was half the price, and done to at least the same standard by someone I trust. Added to that it was out of warranty on the mileage side of things.

What I'm concerned about is whether this is a common eg known fault, if so I dont think I should just roll over and pay.

Since starting to type Lexus have offered to contribute, so my new bill will be £900......... Thoughts and ideas please guys

This is a KNOWN fault and Lexus are fully aware of it (they just wont admit to it). They have extended the warranty on this problem to 5 years (but kept it quiet).

It necessitates two oxygen sensors, an ECU and an oil and filter change (not sure why it needs the last bit) - Total cost would be £2,000 plus.

Stick to your gun... Lexus will stump up (or take them to court and ask them why they have increased their warranty to 5 years for this hiccup if 'there is no problem' and while you're at it ask them to explain why they have done so many of these free of charge).

They may bellyache about how you took it out of dealership for service but they haven't got a leg to stand on unless they want to take on European legislation about warranties and insisting that you get it serviced by a dealer (which of course they can't)

Good luck

The Ed

• 3 weeks later...

It's just happened to me too. I have a 58 plate IS250 Sport. Have owned it for 6 weeks, 32K mileage. Started car last night and VSC Check / Traction Control and Engine Management and a red warning triangle came on. Have contacted Lexus this morning but am waiting for them to call me back. Will keep you posted. Luckily for me though the car is still under warranty.

Oh, by the way - just joined the LOC - Hello to everyone :)

Got my car back yesterday. Lexus replaced the ECU and an Air Sensor. All done under warranty. B)

• 4 months later...

Is the extended warranty for this fault also applicable to the IS250 please? I am having the same problem but my dealer does not know the answer.

Also, is there any way I can take some proof the the dealer regarding the extended warranty?

• 3 weeks later...

Just had this come on.Mine is IS250SEL with 37,000 on the clock. Tried switching off ignition and restarting after 10 mins. No change. Car drives OK but phones garage, booked in for 0930 tomorrow so we'll see what they say. Will update asap as I love the car compared to the 220d I had before, just disapointed that this should happen on a high end luxury car.

Ray

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

got a 220d sport on a 06 plate same warning lights came on mine, gave my local lexus dealer a ring told me it was the EGR valve had gone, and that he could swap valve at a cost of a few hundred pounds but no gaurantee that it would not happen again, however lexus would do the repair free of charge which involved taking the engine out stripping it down to find were the build up was renewing piston rings cat etc it pays to take your car to main dealer for a service, think other car makers would of charged you the £4000!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My 2006 (55) 220d goes in tomorrow with the vsc/engine managment/traction control issue plus the loss of power/vibration when warm problem that i had a month or so ago that has recurred. Not looking forward to the outcome!!

My 2006 (55) 220d goes in tomorrow with the vsc/engine managment/traction control issue plus the loss of power/vibration when warm problem that i had a month or so ago that has recurred. Not looking forward to the outcome!!

and the news is.....a new injector at only £500!

People, read carefully this forum ;)

The most typical problem of IS220D with more then 90.000 Km of age is the FAP or DPNR as u would to call.

WHen it become to much dirty of particulate and the car cannot clean with regeneration.....it's aBIG problem if the car i out of warranty.

It must be cleaned or substituted.

other typical fault of car with same age is the circuit of EGR full of dirty carbonius deposit.

In cars with over 150.000 Km the problem become very very hard to solve, because u should take off and clean all circuit (which is quite impossible).

Better close this circuit when the car is young.

All solutions for this problems are around here (look topic "elimination of egr circuit), and they function ;)

Anyway this problems are common to all turbodiesel EURO4- Euro5 cars, no matter the brand.

Look in other forums, and u will see the same oldie, well know problems.

...and finally the fantasy and honesty of some dealers...that invent expensive solutions to these problems...a minority of them naturally.

• 1 month later...

My IS 250 SEL 07 plate has been showing the same warning signs but without wanting to tempt fate I have had no problems with performance at all. I contacted Lexus Leeds yesterday to discuss the problem and the guy there told me that although he was aware of this problem the extended warranty was only applicable to the GS300 and not the IS range. He quoted £95 to run the diagnostics and then a figure of £380 for one sensor, dare not even think about the worst case scenario.

I have two questions, firstly, has anyone heard of any other instances like mine, ie, warning lights but no drop in performance whatsoever? and secondly, does the extended warranty cover the IS range or not?

Thanks Guys

My IS 250 SEL 07 plate has been showing the same warning signs but without wanting to tempt fate I have had no problems with performance at all. I contacted Lexus Leeds yesterday to discuss the problem and the guy there told me that although he was aware of this problem the extended warranty was only applicable to the GS300 and not the IS range. He quoted £95 to run the diagnostics and then a figure of £380 for one sensor, dare not even think about the worst case scenario.

I have two questions, firstly, has anyone heard of any other instances like mine, ie, warning lights but no drop in performance whatsoever? and secondly, does the extended warranty cover the IS range or not?

Thanks Guys

This was a problem on the early GS300's. I had mine done in 2009 at no cost to me, ECU, 2 x O2 sensors and the 'I don't know why' oil change.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

about 3 years ago had the same faults VSC Traction Control engine management and car goes into power protect mode.

It cost me £600 to have the EGR Valve changed.....they clog up and can seize with carbon deposits.

So if your competent under the bonnet I suggest you clean or have clean the EGR valve at least every 8000 miles!!!

Now about 2 months ago the same warning faults started to appear again and the car would again go into limp mode.

But If you shut off and restart your car over 5 times within a few minutes the faults may clear and the car goes out of limp mode and that will get you home...but the faults reappear again soon.

But by chance my car went in for a MOT the same month the warnings were displayed.

The examiner said the engine oil level was very very low.

I couldn't believe the oil level was just below the minimum amount on the dip stick.

To cut a long story short I topped up the oil and guess what the faults have gone away!!!!

I tell you the VSC /tRACTION CONTROL /engine Management WARNINGS can mean any multitude of faults and I think your Lexus service centre can charge you for anything they want so be warned!!!! :winky:

Hi

about 3 years ago had the same faults VSC Traction Control engine management and car goes into power protect mode.

It cost me £600 to have the EGR Valve changed.....they clog up and can seize with carbon deposits.

So if your competent under the bonnet I suggest you clean or have clean the EGR valve at least every 8000 miles!!!

Now about 2 months ago the same warning faults started to appear again and the car would again go into limp mode.

But If you shut off and restart your car over 5 times within a few minutes the faults may clear and the car goes out of limp mode and that will get you home...but the faults reappear again soon.

But by chance my car went in for a MOT the same month the warnings were displayed.

The examiner said the engine oil level was very very low.

I couldn't believe the oil level was just below the minimum amount on the dip stick.

To cut a long story short I topped up the oil and guess what the faults have gone away!!!!

I tell you the VSC /tRACTION CONTROL /engine Management WARNINGS can mean any multitude of faults and I think your Lexus service centre can charge you for anything they want so be warned!!!! :winky:

It was low oil pressure which was causing the fault.

I wonder what Lexus would have said the fault was!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just joined the forum to post my experience with the VSC fault on my 2007 IS 220 D which has done 40k miles.

On long journey to Scotland my VSC Check / Traction Control and Engine Management lights all came on.

To cut a very long story short, the vehicle was recovered to my local Lexus dealer where I was told that they would need it for about two weeks, when pushed

about the length of time, the service manager admitted that it was a design fault on these engines with the air flow and that the whole system was clogging

up with deposits. The instruction from Lexus was to remove the engine, check the tolerances and if they are over a certain limit then a new engine is required,

along with a new cat, ECU, and EGR.

If they are under the limits, then new pistons etc, new cat,ECU and EGR.

All this work is under warranty, as it should be and I am getting my car back today.

Even if it is out of warranty, I would suggest that with a known design fault on the engine Lexus cannot argue if your warranty has expired.

Hi

exactly the same experience as I had with my 57 reg 40k is220 about a month ago. Lexus Bristol repaired with no argument and no cost to me, they even paid for 9 days hire car. 3 weeks later they picked up the bill for 2 rear calipers (corroded). No complaints from me but I hope it does not go again. So if you get this problem push to have it done free of charge as it is a known design error. Lexus are aware of it but repairing them when they come in is a lot cheaper than a recall.

Hi Unfortunately the dreaded VSC check, Engine Management light and the VCS sign with the skids flashed up on the way to work yesterday. The car went into protect mode called the RAC who confirmed that it was the P2002 fault code. They have reset the car. However, i need to know get it booked into the garage, the car has done 46000 miles and is an 07 plate so outside the 3 year warranty. Can I just ask the editor if it is documented anywhere regarding the 100,000/5 year warranty on the engine ? I am going to assume that I will have to fight my corner and that all the information I can get before I go to the dealer will be handy, as I bought the car as Lexus are supposed to be very reliable

Please help!

Hi I had a problem with my rx300 where the VSC light was comming on. We plugged into the car and were given a couple of fault codes and we thought it might be the lambda sensor as per your reading about the fuel. I changed the sensor by the exhaust as it was the easiest to get to and the cheapest to start with. Anyway it wasnt the lambda sensor at all it was the air flow meter.When I looked at it, it was caked with carbon I was quoted almost £200 from lexus but got one off e bay for £45 and fitted it myself and I am a woman (but I do work in a garage)If you take the number of the air flow meter prob a denso no if i remember correctly and pump it into the internet you will get a match. That was over 6 months ago now and it has worked fine since. As for the garage wanting so much ££££ thats crazy. Its simple to locate and you can look to see what state the sensor is in before you buy one. I hope this has helped

DPF problems. :excl:

Had a similar problem with an 07 Sportage. KIA & Local main dealer not interested despite vehicle having covered only 29800 miles & serviced at 10K intervals by main dealer. cost of replacing the DPF unit . A mere £4500, yes Four Thousand Five Hundred Pounds ( that includes VAT of course !!!!!) but not including any sensors which may need replacing.

Other companies out there can replace the DPF unit, with a 1 year warranty, for less than £1K.

yamavira. :crybaby:

• 3 months later...

I have the answers to the problem my friends. I have a IS 220d 2007. Done 126,000 miles. All three mentioned issued Happened to and I'm a taxi driver. Everytime I turn the car of and back on again it would be ok for a short while. So I figured it couldn't be that serious.

So I clean my Mass Air Flow Sensor firstly, then the important thing. I bought something called "FORTE advanced diesel injector treatment cleaner"

I strongly recommend you get FORTE and not other brands. Heard bad things about other brands and never heard anything bad about FORTE.

You must put the liquid into you fuel tank and it must be at least half full. When you do this the most important thing is that you must driver at very high revs for a good while. When I say high revs I mean red lighting it. Motorway in forth is a good way. That gets the fluid through your injectors and cleans them more.

Eventually your whole lights will turn of and car will be back to normal

I have also had the VSC Check / Traction Control and Engine Management and a red warning triangle come on. Took my 55 plate IS250 with 52k on the clock into Lexus today and have been quoted £1100 repairs. The report they handed me says the following

centre pipe just behind A/F b2 corroded and leaking causing eml lamp

The have said the centre pipe needs replacing.

Anybody think this should be covered by the extended warrenty that has been mentioned in this thread. If not is this a fair price.

Cheers in adavance