Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Killing The Tyre Pressure Warning System

Hi. There just picked up my 430 today. The tyre pressure warning is on. The last owner said there's not a problem with them and Lex had changed and bill him stupid money for the job but it's still not right.

To be honest I couldn't give a stuff. I've been driving 30+ years now and I've never needed and never will need this kind of technology on my car.

i know there is a way to kill this ridiculous system stone dead. Could someone please tell me how to take it out, once and for all.

thanks

Snaps

Why not just reset it?

If you look under the dash (below the steering wheel), you'll see a couple of buttons and a knob. One of the buttons is marked with the word "SET" and a picture of a tyre appears next to it. To reset the TPMS (this is taken from the manual):

The tire pressure warning system needs to be initialized after tires or wheels are replaced or rotated.

To initialize the system, perform the following:

1. Park the vehicle at a safe place with the parking brake applied and turn the ignition switch to “LOCK”.

2. Adjust the pressure of all the installed tires to the specified level.

3. Turn the ignition switch to “ON”.

If the low tire pressure warning message "Low Tire" appears in the multi−information display, push the reset switch for a few seconds and make sure the warning message goes off.

4. With the vehicle stopped, push and hold the reset switch until “Pressure Initial” appears in the multi−information display.

Note point (3). If your TPMS warning is already on then you need to clear that warning first before the TPMS can 're-learn' the correct tire pressure settings.

Once "Pressure Initial" appears on your instrument binnacle display, then the TPMS system will 're-learn' the correct tyre pressures according to the following criteria:

Initialization is completed after driving at the speeds of 30 km/h (19 mph) or over for more than one hour. If the following driving conditions are satisfied, initialization will be completed in about one hour.

• The vehicle speeds is between 50 km/h (31 mph) and 100 km/h (62 mph).
  • The roads are dry, smooth and straight.
  • The number of passengers is one or two (including the
  • driver).

If you make a mistake in the middle of initialization, perform the operation from the beginning again.

Do not push the reset switch without adjusting the tire inflation pressure to the specified level. Otherwise, the low tire pressure warning may not turn on even if the tire inflation pressure is low, or it may turn on when the tire inflation pressure is actually normal.

If you push the reset switch while driving, initialization is not performed.

If “Pressure Initial”does not appear when the reset switch is held down, the system may be malfunctioning. Have your vehicle checked by your Lexus dealer as soon as possible.

HI

Jeff congratulations on your new purchase!

Sorry if this is off topic but when you get a chance can you post a write up comparing the LS400 and LS430 so that prospective buyers like myself can atleast have idea of some of pros and cons of each model - "i keep hearing "the mark 4 LS400 is the best of all"?????

Also in your picture album you have pictures of the pre accident ls400 - could you let me know what camera was used to take those pics

regards

miq

HI

Jeff congratulations on your new purchase!

Sorry if this is off topic but when you get a chance can you post a write up comparing the LS400 and LS430 so that prospective buyers like myself can atleast have idea of some of pros and cons of each model - "i keep hearing "the mark 4 LS400 is the best of all"?????

Also in your picture album you have pictures of the pre accident ls400 - could you let me know what camera was used to take those pics

regards

miq

Hi Miq. I loved my 400. It was in great nic when I bought it and I looked after it. I put about 25k on the car and it never let me down technically. It died at 99600m. However I did battle with the car in the wet. It really was dodgy at times. I don't race around. The car is a bit big for that but in the wet it really didn't take much for the rear to kick out. I could blame the tyres or the fact that I had 245/45/18's on the car but still.

My immediate impression of the 430 is that it really is a totally different car from the bottom up. The only thing that is the same is the cruise leaver. All the controls are different. The gearbox is 6 speeds which you can select manually all the way up. The power is much more responsive to throttle and the slightest squeeze will get the speedo into triple figures very quickly. Remember the car has double glass and is virtually sound proof. The premium pack adds a lot more but I'm loving the keyless entry. Very nifty and as you don’t see quite as well when looking over your shoulder while reversing that reversing camera is a godsend and it’s deadly accurate too.

I dunno but I swear the car does feel bigger. Is it? I should get my 400 manual out and look really. I does feel tank like and on the narrow streets around my way. It feels, well wide. The sport button which stiffens up the whole drive train does a great job. No more wallowing like the Dover ferry boat around the corners. I tried it on motorway and noticed I got a bit more road noise in sport mode. A small price to pay really for much up rated handling. The brakes are much better too. They will really nail the car to a standstill. My 400 was more... well any time today will do.

I'll take it out one evening in the wet and see how it does. I'll switch off the TC and see how it performs and put it back on and try again. The AFS “Adaptive Front Lighting system is cool too. As you turn the in a corner the headlights follow instead of just pointing forward. I can’t leave this post without mentioning the Mark Levinson sound system. Bloody hell. Thumbs up. Paul Rodgers has never sounded so good.

The wheels are going in for a referb soon. The lacquer has lifted and they are not pretty.

I took those car pix with my Canon5d MK2 /24-105L lens. No post production in Photoshop. Stright from RAW to jpeg compression. I have a 550d too. Which is amazing. The best DSLR on the market right now by a county mile. The 1080p HD video is great. So if you’re looking to bite the bullet go with a 550d body (just don't bother with the kit lens) and get a Sigma 17/70 OS HSM as your walkabout. You’ll love it. I’ve even used that set-up in studio and I got some amazing results, but this discussion is for another forum.

Snaps

No they are all different :duh:

I didn't mean like that but if one of the tyres is slightly off, say 50 profile instead of 45 to the eye it won't make a difference but the sensors will pick it up.

Why not just reset it?

If you look under the dash (below the steering wheel), you'll see a couple of buttons and a knob. One of the buttons is marked with the word "SET" and a picture of a tyre appears next to it. To reset the TPMS (this is taken from the manual):

The tire pressure warning system needs to be initialized after tires or wheels are replaced or rotated.

To initialize the system, perform the following:

1. Park the vehicle at a safe place with the parking brake applied and turn the ignition switch to “LOCK”.

2. Adjust the pressure of all the installed tires to the specified level.

3. Turn the ignition switch to “ON”.

If the low tire pressure warning message "Low Tire" appears in the multi−information display, push the reset switch for a few seconds and make sure the warning message goes off.

4. With the vehicle stopped, push and hold the reset switch until “Pressure Initial” appears in the multi−information display.

Note point (3). If your TPMS warning is already on then you need to clear that warning first before the TPMS can 're-learn' the correct tire pressure settings.

Once "Pressure Initial" appears on your instrument binnacle display, then the TPMS system will 're-learn' the correct tyre pressures according to the following criteria:

Initialization is completed after driving at the speeds of 30 km/h (19 mph) or over for more than one hour. If the following driving conditions are satisfied, initialization will be completed in about one hour.

• The vehicle speeds is between 50 km/h (31 mph) and 100 km/h (62 mph).
  • The roads are dry, smooth and straight.
  • The number of passengers is one or two (including the
  • driver).

If you make a mistake in the middle of initialization, perform the operation from the beginning again.

Do not push the reset switch without adjusting the tire inflation pressure to the specified level. Otherwise, the low tire pressure warning may not turn on even if the tire inflation pressure is low, or it may turn on when the tire inflation pressure is actually normal.

If you push the reset switch while driving, initialization is not performed.

If “Pressure Initial”does not appear when the reset switch is held down, the system may be malfunctioning. Have your vehicle checked by your Lexus dealer as soon as possible.

well it's just that. Reset - nothing more. If you drive a few miles up it comes again, nagging you. No, there is a way in the cars firmware to turn it off.

Have you tried "initialising" the system as above and not just resetting it until the warning light goes out?

As far as I know it cannot be deactivated as it is built into the ECU.

Have you tried "initialising" the system as above and not just resetting it until the warning light goes out?

As far as I know it cannot be deactivated as it is built into the ECU.

The system can be deactivated. Totally. I just need to find out how to do it. Taking out the bulb does not do it because you still get a read out on the dash as well as the warning triangle which is very irritating and in-ya-face.

Have you "initialised" the system? Worth trying again because every other thread on the net talking about the same thing seems to have the problem cured by doing this - people simply not realising that the basic reset is not enough.

The basic reset simply clears the TPMS warning message. Re-initialising the system cannot happen until the warning message is reset (cleared). If re-initialisation is not done then the TPMS warning will come back as the tyres will still be judged to be punctured.

The basic reset simply clears the TPMS warning message. Re-initialising the system cannot happen until the warning message is reset (cleared). If re-initialisation is not done then the TPMS warning will come back as the tyres will still be judged to be punctured.

Hmm, getting nowhere fast here. Is there any other models that have this system? If so I'll go into one of the other groups and annoy them a while :)

Snaps

Have a look on the US forums, the LS430 is far more common over there and tinkered with a lot more than over here. Having said that I just had a quick search and everything I found said it cannot be disabled as it's part of the ABS/TRC ecu.

The system in the LS430 uses the individual speed sensors to measure the wheel speeds and decide whether one must be flat. It's not like the newer LS where it uses actual tyre pressure sensors (which you could effectively just disable).

I hope you find the answer you're looking for, but I have a feeling you're not going to find it.

Have a look on the US forums, the LS430 is far more common over there and tinkered with a lot more than over here. Having said that I just had a quick search and everything I found said it cannot be disabled as it's part of the ABS/TRC ecu.

The system in the LS430 uses the individual speed sensors to measure the wheel speeds and decide whether one must be flat. It's not like the newer LS where it uses actual tyre pressure sensors (which you could effectively just disable).

I hope you find the answer you're looking for, but I have a feeling you're not going to find it.

It looks like I must reluctantly concede on this little project. Im sure it can be done but I'm supposing you'd need to get into the ECU and get to the firmware to find the switch. I need a pal at a Lexus dealership for the inside track on this. So no quick fix here. I'm going to get out the dash and see if I can get at that LED and perhaps take it out or just tape over it. Whatever the result is I won't be looking at it for much longer.

It looks like I must reluctantly concede on this little project. I’m sure it can be done but I'm supposing you'd need to get into the ECU and get to the firmware to find the “switch”. I need a pal at a Lexus dealership for the inside track on this. So no quick fix here. I'm going to get out the dash and see if I can get at that LED and perhaps take it out or just tape over it. Whatever the result is I won't be looking at it for much longer.

Hi. Before you start, you could try these guys http://www.justanswer.com/Thanks.aspx?survey=3&TID=5153081

If they can help, it will cost a small fee maybe £15 but I have saved no-end by using them.

• 10 years later...

Hey mates,
You should look into your tpms. The warning massage like this usually means that your tpms was not working as it was supposed to. I read a blog explaining the error messages. Don’t remember the exact blog but here’s the website https://xenons4u.co.uk/. Check this i think you will get some help.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links