Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Kinetix Grooved Brake Discs

Lexus-IS

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried KINETIX GROOVED BRAKE DISCS on the IS250? I've found some sets on ebay and the seller claims they perform much better than the original lexus ones

What do you think they mean by working 'much better' than the OEM? The problem with the IS250 is that the discs are too small for the car, and Lexus appear to have compensated by making the system extremely high friction with consequent excessive wear of discs and pads with excessive amounts of brake dust. The front brakes and dust was the reason I fitted the calipers, discs and ceramic based pads from the IS350 on my IS250 SE-L, so they're now much more progressive in braking and little or no dust/wear.

All I can see grooved brake discs doing is generating even more dust and making the system even more 'grabby' than it already is.

I think that the brakes of my IS220d are very adequate and I am extremely happy with them. The only problem of the OEM brakes is the price which is higher than other aftermarket replacements. And of course the drilled and grooved disks give that sporty look which is another plus.

• 8 months later...

The disc spec for the 220d is the same as the 250 so if the 250 can accept the 350 kit why can't the 220?

Also 220d SE-L come equipped with 17" minimum. I have 18"

• 2 weeks later...

there is no problem with accepting the 350 kit, just you won't fit the 16" rims.

And the base IS220d comes with 16"

Normally, you do not need to bother with 16" but I do because for winter driving narrower tires are better and that's why I purchased 205/55/16...

conclusion: if you have 18", go for 350 kit.

People using 16" tires, don't go for 350 kit.

The disc spec for the 220d is the same as the 250 so if the 250 can accept the 350 kit why can't the 220?

Also 220d SE-L come equipped with 17" minimum. I have 18"

I know the 17" OEM rims will not fit after changing to IS350 discs and calipers on a 250/220. I had aftermarket 19" rims with slightly different offsets on the 250 SE-L with 350 calipers & discs/rotors, but a friend from Hong Kong also fitted them and he had 18" OEM rims, so yes they'll fit.

Don't make the same mistake as I did in buying a set of 350 back plates/dustcovers, as they don't fit the 250/220.

Don't make the assumption that because the IS350 has 17" OEM rims that are the same as those fitted to the 250/220, that they'll fit. The 350 hub is different so the 17" rims still fit over the 350 calipers.

Don't make the assumption that because the IS350 has 17" OEM rims that are the same as those fitted to the 250/220, that they'll fit. The 350 hub is different so the 17" rims still fit over the 350 calipers.

I've read somewhere on this forum where you've expressed vividly that the stock 17" do not fit the 350 kit.

Firstly, the dustcover and plate will have to be replaced since the ones on the 250 and 220 are a set for the size of disc dimensions. Are you saying the 350 cover and plates won't fit? If not, what are alternatives?

Secondly, what offset do you recommend if someone wishes to purchase a set of aftermarket alloys to assist the 350 kit?

Finally, how much of a struggle was it for you to get the 350 installed? Whether you did it yourself or not, was it an entire hub job or a simple replacement of disc, dustcover, plate, an calliper kit?

Many thanks for the info.

The dustcover and plate (same thing) do not need replacement, but may need to be bent back if they rub on the disc (mine did not). I did buy a pair of IS350 covers, but they do not fit the IS250/220 hub as they have different mounting points and cannot be modified to fit.

The replacement is straightforward, after removing the original calipers the disks can be simply exchanged and the 350 calipers & pads bolted back on using the same bolts and locations. I did change the OEM brake hoses for stainless steel braided ones, but again the standard hoses can still be used with the 350 calipers.

I'll post some pics and answer your question on the offsets when I am on my home pc later.

I'll post some pics and answer your question on the offsets when I am on my home pc later.

Fantastic. Thanks for the useful information. I look forward to having a look at these pics!

Fantastic. Thanks for the useful information. I look forward to having a look at these pics!

250 and 350 discs side by side. If you haven't read my other posts you need to know the 350 discs and calipers are the same ones used on the GS300 Mk2 so are readily availble in the UK:

brakechange02.jpg

A pic of my friends 350 discs and calipers fitted to his IS250 in Hong Kong, notice the standard dustcover.

brakechange03.jpg

I painted my calipers with black Hammerite Smooth, polished the front face (they're aluminium castings), applied decals and two coats of clear HR laquer .

regcalipers.jpg

Here they are fitted:

09052008020.jpg

...and with the non OEM Volks VR SF-Winning two piece forged rims:

calipert.jpg

The front rims are 19" x 8.5" with a +38 offset and fitted with 235/35/19 tyres. The rear are 19" x 9.5" with +42 offset, fitted with 275/35/19 tyres. Front lowered 1.4", rear 1" on American spec. Eibach Pro Kit Springs.

Looks brilliant!

Those look like opposed calipers. I can't seem to find any to purchase, mostly GS300 calipers are floating/semi-loaded therefore 2pot with slide pint overhauls.

Did you buy yours privately? I.E eBay etc or retail?

Looks brilliant!

Those look like opposed calipers. I can't seem to find any to purchase, mostly GS300 calipers are floating/semi-loaded therefore 2pot with slide pint overhauls.

Did you buy yours privately? I.E eBay etc or retail?

I bought mine from a Lexus Dealership, but I may have misled you in my previous post, as my recollection is that they are the same discs and calipers as fitted to the GS300 Mark III, not Mark II.

I bought mine from a Lexus Dealership, but I may have misled you in my previous post, as my recollection is that they are the same discs and calipers as fitted to the GS300 Mark III, not Mark II.

What years is the Mk3? And how much did you pay? I was thinking of getting them from a scrapyard or remanufactured ones but if the Mk3 isn't that old, it's unlikely I'll have any luck!

I cannot remember how much I paid for the calipers, but the discs were about £140.00 for the pair.

Can't seem to find them anywhere, nor salvaged. Lexus are asking £350 per caliper. That's £40 dearer than the 250/220. I suppose I'll have to put some coins aside.

Appreciate your time to dig out the info!!

I cannot remember how much I paid for the calipers, but the discs were about £140.00 for the pair.

Can't seem to find them anywhere, nor salvaged. Lexus are asking £350 per caliper. That's £40 dearer than the 250/220. I suppose I'll have to put some coins aside.

Appreciate your time to dig out the info!!

i've dug out the correct info. The discs are part numbers E43512-22260 and E43516-22010 and they were £57.75 each plus VAT from 'Lookers' Hatfield, Hertfordshire. Sorry, I can't find the receipt for the calipers, but I bought them from the Lexus Dealership in Houston, Texas for a fair bit less than you have been quoted.

i've dug out the correct info. The discs are part numbers E43512-22260 and E43516-22010 and they were £57.75 each plus VAT from 'Lookers' Hatfield, Hertfordshire. Sorry, I can't find the receipt for the calipers, but I bought them from the Lexus Dealership in Houston, Texas for a fair bit less than you have been quoted.

That sounds better. Lookers Hatfield is my local. They gave me the quote for the calipers.

So i might get a quote from the Texas branch. Although I don't know whether the shipping will equal that quote from Lookers... I'll give them a call and let you know.

So i might get a quote from the Texas branch. Although I don't know whether the shipping will equal that quote from Lookers... I'll give them a call and let you know.

No point as they will not ship internationally. I brought them back courtesy of British Airways.

Has anyone tried KINETIX GROOVED BRAKE DISCS on the IS250? I've found some sets on ebay and the seller claims they perform much better than the original lexus ones

so has anyone tried them?

designwise they look great. I do not care about dust, but I do care for the disc quality and pads mileage...

thanks

• 5 months later...

The truth about Kinetix! - They have a website with no phone number, made me a little suspicious. I did however purchase a full set for my Lexus. When they turned up the quality looked poor. I contacted the supplier and asked whether they could give me any information on Kinetix. They said they weren't allowed too?! I asked if they could confirm they were made in the USA. They said they didn't know and went on to say they were probably made in China! Having seen the quality I wouls say AVOID unless you are happy to risk your life and save £100. Get EBC or something youve heard of, at least you can speak to the manufacturer. Nuf said!