Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Column Up N Down Motorhas Packed Up Help !

Hi. The up n down steering column motor has packed up on me today. I've been under and looked and see only one screw. Now the bloke at Lex said there were 3. He was right. The other 2 are .... YESSSSS you guessed hidden behind the steering wheel. Thanks a bunch!! This means that the steering wheels needs to come off. To do this I first need to dissarm the air bag system.

Is there anyone on this site that has that kind of knowledge and can walk me through this? I have just about every tool known to mankind so once the airbag is dissarmed and the wheel is off the rest isn't any big deal.

If there's anyone reading this that has such a motor collecting dust please get in touch.

thanks

Snaps

Hi. The up n down steering column motor has packed up on me today. I've been under and looked and see only one screw. Now the bloke at Lex said there were 3. He was right. The other 2 are .... YESSSSS you guessed hidden behind the steering wheel. Thanks a bunch!! This means that the steering wheels needs to come off. To do this I first need to dissarm the air bag system.

Is there anyone on this site that has that kind of knowledge and can walk me through this? I have just about every tool known to mankind so once the airbag is dissarmed and the wheel is off the rest isn't any big deal.

If there's anyone reading this that has such a motor collecting dust please get in touch.

thanks

Snaps

Are you sure that you can't get to the other screws by turning the steering wheel? I assume its the shroud that you need to remove to expose the motor. The wheel doesn't have to come off on the LS400.

Hi,

Never heard of having to remove the wheel when doing this repair there are screws on the top which are accessible as suggested by turning the steering wheel.

Have a look at the link below

And this one.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-400-300/49783-tilt-steering-repair.html

thanks

Snaps

Are you sure that you can't get to the other screws by turning the steering wheel? I assume its the shroud that you need to remove to expose the motor. The wheel doesn't have to come off on the LS400.

Steve. The 400 is not the same car. Thanks

Hi again

This is a copy of the procedure to remove the steering wheel to get to that relevant bit. If its not sufficient, you could sign-up to http://www.justanswer.com for the full version. Hope it helps.

Care must be taken to replace parts properly because they could affect the performance of the steering system and result in a driving hazard.

The LEXUS LS430 is equipped with Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) such as the driver airbag and front passenger airbag. Failure to carry out service operation in the correct sequence could cause the SRS to unexpectedly deploy during servicing, possibly leading to a serious accident. Before servicing (including removal or installation of parts, inspection or replacement), be sure to read the precautionary notices in Restraint Systems.

DISCONNECT Battery NEGATIVE TERMINAL

REMOVE STEERING WHEEL PAD NOTICE: If the airbag connector is disconnected with the ignition switch at ON, DTCs will be recorded.

Place the front wheels facing straight ahead.

Remove the steering wheel lower No. 2 cover and pad switch modulator cover.

Using a torx driver, loosen the 2 torx screws until the groove along the screw circumference catches on the screw case.

Disconnect the connector.

Pull out the wheel pad from the steering wheel.

Using a screwdriver, disconnect the airbag connectors as shown in the illustration. CAUTION:

When storing the wheel pad, keep the upper surface of the pad facing upward.

Never disassemble the wheel pad.

NOTICE: When removing the wheel pad, take care not to pull the airbag wire harness.

REMOVE STEERING WHEEL

Disconnect the connectors.

Remove the steering wheel set nut.

Place matchmarks on the steering wheel and main shaft assembly.

Using SST, remove the steering wheel. SST 09950-50013 (09951-05010, 09952-05010, 09950-05020, 09954-05021)

REMOVE NO. 1 UNDER COVER

Remove the 2 screws and disconnect the No. 1 under cover.

Disconnect the 2 connectors, DLC3 and remove the No. 1 under cover.

REMOVE FINISH PLATE

REMOVE NO. 1 SAFETY PAD

Remove the 2 screws and disconnect the engine hood release lever.

Remove the 2 bolts and disconnect the No. 1 safety pad.

Disconnect the connectors, clamps and remove the No. 1 safety pad.

REMOVE COLUMN LOWER COVER Remove the 3 screws and column lower cover.

REMOVE NO. 5 HEATER TO REGISTER DUCT Remove the clip and No. 5 heater to register duct.

w/Smart key system: DISCONNECT STEERING LOCK SWITCH AND ACTUATOR

Disconnect the connectors.

Remove the 3 bolts and disconnect the steering lock switch and actuator.

REMOVE AIR SEALED PLATE

Read more: I have a 2002 Lexus LS430 that has the tilt and ... - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1eb03-i-have-a-2002-lexus-ls430-that-has-the-tilt-and-telescopic#ixzz12Wpw9hWV

Sorry didn't notice it was a 430 even the boot badge has a different part number lol.

Just looked at exploded diagram on toyodiy,fancy putting the screws behind the wheel.

Yea I know. Really dumb. :( but I've never had a problem I couldn't fix ... just a question of how much :sick:

Hi all. I took out the steering tilt motor and tested it. It looks like my one is a gonna. Before I order a new one I'll get to an auto sparks and seek advice as this is the kind of component you'll never get a refund on so best to be sure.

What I have done when I replaced the motor is to set it a comfortable adjustment for me. This means I can comfortably get in and out of the car. After driving 200 miles today I can say that it works very well like this. I'll fix the motor but it's far from necessary now I've set the tilt angle.

The in and out action actually makes for much of the tilt as it does come at you from an angle and I've had no problems finding a comfortable seating position.

Anyway here are the photos I took. I’ve also posted some comments. I haven’t clue how to upload this to the site for future reference so any help with that would be useful.

http://picasaweb.google.com/herenthere0/SteeringTiltMotorLexusLS4302003#

Snaps