Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today's Service - Shock!

Hi there, recently purchased a Lexus IS200 (51 plate) from a small car sales 2 weeks ago. The salesman assured me that their mechanics check the car over to ensure it is free of any problems before they release it. The car is a dream to drive but after reading on here about timing belt intervals I decided I'd rather be safe than sorry so I booked the car into my usual garage for a full service and timing belt change for piece of mind through the winter. The car has done 64,000 and as there is no service history whatsoever since 11,000 miles I had no idea what had been done and what hadn't been done. Imagine my shock horror when the bill today came to a massive £740.27!! That is a full service (Oil, Oil Flush, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Fuel Treatment, Pollen Filter, 6 Spark Plugs, Timing belt kit & Labour). This seems a little excessive! Also they noted a few things that I should be aware of and me being a complete novice with car mechanics, I am wondering if these points are worthy of me taking it back to the garage who sold me the car for them to fix them. The points are : O/S/F Fog light not working water in lens, both front lower suspension arm bushes perished, centre exhaust joint very rusty, O/S/R inner brake disc face rusty and pitted & finally both rear tyres starting to wear on inner edges. Are these items worthy of taking the car back for them to fix or are they nothing to concern myself over? Many thanks for reading and any help in advance!!

Is that from a Lexus dealer? If so the price is ok, mine cost £700 when I had it done. If not that is a bit steep.

No an independant garage. Wish I had gone to a Lexus dealer now I know the price though!

Can't believe a garage would sell a car without changing the timing belt. I presume u got a guarantee with the car. The people that sold u the car surely wouldn't want a timing belt breaking on a car that is under guarantee. And yes I would take the car back.

Can't believe a garage would sell a car without changing the timing belt. I presume u got a guarantee with the car. The people that sold u the car surely wouldn't want a timing belt breaking on a car that is under guarantee.

Garage only give out a standard 1 month warranty, any longer I had to pay for. I had no idea if one had been changed or not but at least I can sleep easy now knowing it's done. I've read on here about all sorts of horror stories about timing belts going

You've nothing to lose by taking the car back to them. Point out everything wrong and don't let them brush u off with excuses. The last thing u want after spending your money on a supposedly roadworthy car is to have to spend more getting it right. Sounds like they didn't even look under the bonnet. Don't take any sh*t from them. Good luck with it anyway.

finally both rear tyres starting to wear on inner edges.

be suspicious of those originally being on the front and the garage swopping them on to the rear for sale. That is because they know that front tyre wear is the first thing a buyer looks at on the Is200/300 and the font ones are easy to check.

I'm pretty convinced the guy who sold me mine had done this.

Although I was told mine had a full 60K service I am also doubting it - it is a great pity there is no easy way of checking the timing belt.

it is a great pity there is no easy way of checking the timing belt.

I strongly suggest everyone checks it yourself. it only need a No 10 socket. undo 5 bolts you will have a 2 inches gap to inspect your timing belt. turn the engine 3 - 5 times check it all the way round.

it takes less than 5 mins.

Good luck everyone

Felix

Id take it back to the garage. But i wouldnt expect them to give you back any money. Id look at what the warranty they gave you covers. I brought my first lex a few months back and it only had part history. As soon as i drove the car out from the garage and got on the motorway I had a knocking noise that got louder and louder. Turned out to be failed rear passenger shock. Told garage i brought it from and they were not helpful. For that reason I had a real mechanic look the car over for me. He suggested to Change timing belt for peace of mind as there was no info for when it was last changed. We also changed power steering belt, drive belt and aircon belt seeing as you have to take them off anyway to change timming belt. paid around £25 for the 3 belts from Euro car parts for them. Also changed power steering fluid aswell. Im not a mechanic but my friend is. So he told me what to do and i sorted the car myself.

Also changed Coil packs as car ran a little rough with minor misfiring when warm if i stopped and restarted after a few minuites. After changing the coils she now runs sweet as a nut. I am Now a very proud Lexus owner. Car drives lovely.

Is that from a Lexus dealer? If so the price is ok, mine cost £700 when I had it done. If not that is a bit steep.

No an independant garage. Wish I had gone to a Lexus dealer now I know the price though!

Wow an indie that's more expensive than Lexus? :o

I know. They are normally very reasonable and I must admit I didn't see a £700 bill coming at all? What about the Front Suspension arm bushes being perished, centre exhaust joint very rusty, o/s/r/ inner brake disc face rusty & pitted? Are these fairly serious things which need doing immediately or are they things which are not important?

When is the next MOT due? Could fail on some of the points.

Definitely Lexus type prices there. There should be a large difference, like £90-£100 per hour Lexus, £50-£60 per hour independent. I'm afraid it is a case of getting quotes before hand AND the Lexus garage may have given you courtesy car for free.

When Lexus do a timing belt, they attach a sticker to the engine stating date and mileage. If it is not there then Lexus didn't do the job. Make sure your garage gives you a proper itemised bill for the 60K service and timing belt.

Used car sales - In my experience, they do as little as possible and leave YOU to spot the problems. The used cars I have seen with glaring faults, and I'm no mechanic. Franchised dealers aren't much better and for the prices they charge they should be. Used cars often look good because the are so clean compared with cars on the road.

When is the next MOT due? Could fail on some of the points.

Definitely Lexus type prices there. There should be a large difference, like £90-£100 per hour Lexus, £50-£60 per hour independent. I'm afraid it is a case of getting quotes before hand AND the Lexus garage may have given you courtesy car for free.

When Lexus do a timing belt, they attach a sticker to the engine stating date and mileage. If it is not there then Lexus didn't do the job. Make sure your garage gives you a proper itemised bill for the 60K service and timing belt.

Used car sales - In my experience, they do as little as possible and leave YOU to spot the problems. The used cars I have seen with glaring faults, and I'm no mechanic. Franchised dealers aren't much better and for the prices they charge they should be. Used cars often look good because the are so clean compared with cars on the road.

MOT is due next April.

I know. They are normally very reasonable and I must admit I didn't see a £700 bill coming at all? What about the Front Suspension arm bushes being perished, centre exhaust joint very rusty, o/s/r/ inner brake disc face rusty & pitted? Are these fairly serious things which need doing immediately or are they things which are not important?

front suspension arm bushes perished.............wouldnt worrie about that that can happen to bushes a few months old

exhaust joint very rusty...........nothing to worrie about they all rust his very might be my starting to rust.

you cant fail disks on an mot now for being rusty/pitted or worn.....i would replace soon though.

sounds like he was just after your money

Kenfoxy. My timing belt has just been done and that sticker is there with todays date and mileage and lexus didnt do it. I did, luckily i got stickers with the belt :D

I stand corrected. Presumably it was a proper Lexus belt kit.

Kenfoxy. My timing belt has just been done and that sticker is there with todays date and mileage and lexus didnt do it. I did, luckily i got stickers with the belt :D

I stand corrected. Presumably it was a proper Lexus belt kit.

95%of timing belts come with a sticker mate and ive seen my fair share of timing belt kits oe and aftermarket

some tecs just dont put them on..

Rusty/pitted discs could be a sign that either your caliper pistons are sticking or more likely your pads are stuck in the caliper. It might be worth your while removing the pads from the calipers and cleaning out any corrosion and cleaning up the pad guide rails. Certainly not a difficult job to sort yourself and you might save yourself some money in the long run.