Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys

I've seen a 1995 LS400 MK3 with 226,000 miles priced at £1295. I test drove it today at an independent dealership. The car has two problems: power steering leak, for which I've received good help and advice in another thread. The other problem is...

The airbag warning light comes on sometimes. The dealer says it only happens when the steering wheel is turned most of the way to full lock e.g. when parking. It resets when the engine is restarted. However the light did come on during the test drive and yet I didn't turn the wheel to lock, I just made normal turns at traffic lights and roundabouts.

Having searched the forum, the LS400 doesn't seem to have a known problem with the airbag warning light. Very few posts about it really. Most of the posts suggest the problem occured after a modification to the dash cluster or other tinkering with the car. Other people seem to find that the light is then on constantly. So perhaps the car I am considering buying has a very unusual fault? Any help, advice, experience with this problem appreciated! Thanks muchly!

Mark

A plug in OBDII diagnostic may help pinpoint the problem,if it is steering wheel movement related it may be the "clock spring" contact in the steering mechanism,this is the electrical connection for the airbag from the column.

Another common cause is when the seat has been moved/adjusted as this can disturb the wiring/plugs which may have not been moved for some time.

Either way a good negotiator for the asking price.

I would be inclined to suspect the "slip ring" contact behind the steering wheel too. I guess depending on how much side ways pressure you exert on the steering wheel, would depend when a dodgy contact will open circuit. i.e. You are more likely to put a sideways tilt on the wheel if you are straining it against the end stops so to speak on full lock.

As mentioned, might be a good bargaining tool.

Ah that's interesting. So even without turning the steering wheel, just by applying sideways pressure to it could cause the circuit to break and the light to come on. Never thought to try that. Also the wiring under the seat too could be a problem I guess. All things to consider and, yes, good reason to get a big discount hopefully!!

• 2 weeks later...

Plug in an OBD reader and pull the codes. Will help identify - multiple codes (eg 4 or more sensors showing faults) indicates it's likely an issue with the loom for example (bs all 4 sensors failing)

Not sure if the 95 LS had seatbelt pre-tensioners? These will also cause the airbag (actually SRS not airbag) warning light to come on. Again multiple failure codes point to a wiring issue rather than a component sensor problem.

Finally - don't suggest messing about with it yourself - airbags are dangerous (explosive) and could do you severe harm - get a qualified person to look.