Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Noise

Hi

Quick question

I wonder if anyone would recognise these symptoms on my IS200 ? Im getting a whining noise when driving in a straight line that sounds like its coming from the front offside.Its gradually got louder. When I turn left it develops into a 'scraping' noise that has also got louder. Wheel Bearing?

cheers

It sounds like a wheel bearing guys.

jack the car up then spin the wheel and listen for roughness in the bearing,also waggle the wheel top to bottom and from side to side to see if there is play in the bearing,then repeat with someone on the brakes.

If the play disappears it is the bearing.

When cornering the load on the bearing is altered so the noise it makes also changes.

If the bearing seems OK check the brakes as it could be a sticking pad,seized caliper or warped disc.

i had the drivers side caliper change and also the disc and pads at charlesworth motors simon done the work and about a month down the line it was making the strange noise but at this point the noise came and went then about a couple of weeks after that the noise came and stay with me for about a week very annoying but know its gone again it may come back got a feeling.

It sounds like a wheel bearing guys.

Jack the car up then spin the wheel and listen for roughness in the bearing,also waggle the wheel top to bottom and from side to side to see if there is play in the bearing,then repeat with someone on the brakes.

If the play disappears it is the bearing.

When cornering the load on the bearing is altered so the noise it makes also changes.

If the bearing seems OK check the brakes as it could be a sticking pad,seized caliper or warped disc.

cheers

Ive just had the car up on the jacks quickly , no movement but a noise that could be described as 'roughness'(could be pads!! )on both nearside and offside (dont have time to explore further as need to go out this pm). I thought previously about sticking pads / caliper etc but dont get any excessive heat build up on discs. I need to get the pads and discs off tomorrow i reckon and see if I cant eliminate this roughness.

thanks for your help

I've had this exact same problem appear on my car a few weeks ago and still trying to find an answer. Mine also gets louder when turning left, only had my bearings replaced a few months ago so hope it's not them.

Good tip about spinning the wheels while jacked up - I'll give that a go thanks :)

Just worth bearing in mind. There are backing plates behind the calipers front and rear. There was a thread on here some time ago about someone with a similar problem and he found the backing plate was making contact with the disc. I too had this problem with a previous car. The backing plates sits pretty flush to the discs and a small knock or a build up of corrosion on the edge of the disc and the backing plate and they make contact. Likewise if a disc is slightly out of true it will rub, hence the noise. Simply bend the plate back and problem solved.

May explain it for those who's noise comes and goes. Worth a look. I dont think its an issue in my case but will bottom this out first before removing calipers etc.

A better tip for wheel bearings, when jacked up and the wheel is spinning. Grab the shock absorber, if its rumbling its the wheel bearing. Garage showed me this 2 weeks ago when i got the o/s/f replaced. Compared to the other side it was a HUGE difference and the car is now silent

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update for you. The answer was simple, rear backplate rubbing on disc...but this came at a price and a whole load of grief and a fallout with my garage.

I only checked the front backplates not the rear, booked it in into the garage and told them of the symptoms, they said they would drive it and see for themselves. Later that day I got a £200 bill for supplying and fitting the bearing. Drove home and the noise was still present. They were adamant the bearing was shot! The next day they found it was the rear backplate rubbing on the disc. I asked to see the bearing but they claimed they had binned it. I then got a bit narky with them and they suddenly produced it. I took it away and got it examined and the bearing was sound, no sign of wear.

Eventually negotiated £111 labour back.

I wonder how many people get stung like this, it was 5 minute job to remove a wheel and push the plate back off the disc.