Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Guys just a quick question ref LS400 Dynamic Handling Pack Tyres:

My LS which i got a month or so ago, I discovered the side wall on all 4 tyres are bulged, the tyres look virtually new in every other respect. Im trying to contact the previous owner to see when they were fitted etc for waranty purposes.

But what is the correct tyre size, speed rating, and weight load required for the LS Dymanic 17' tyre?

The fualty tyres on the car are:

Goodyear Eagle Touring 225/55 R17 97W NCT3

I have a brochure which states the original DHP tyres were Pirelli P ZERO 245/50 R17

So I have the wrong sized tyre on the car?????

Cheers

Alan

My LS which i got a month or so ago, I discovered the side wall on all 4 tyres are bulged, the tyres look virtually new in every other respect. Im trying to contact the previous owner to see when they were fitted etc for waranty purposes.

But what is the correct tyre size, speed rating, and weight load required for the LS Dymanic 17' tyre?

I have a brochure which states the original DHP tyres were Pirelli P ZERO 245/50 R17

Cheers

Alan

It would certainly appear so. Have a look here http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

There's a calculator included which will enable you to check. You will need to determine the rim size - it tells you how. But assuming your wheels are OEM, it looks as if someone has fitted cheaper tyres. Let us know how you get on.

Hmmmm

The only manufacturer of the correct tyre size I can get is Pirelli P Zero's, which means approx £740 for 4 tyres.............other options are:

235/55

225/55

245/55

From manufacturers like Avon, Goodyear, Bridgestone..........will keep you posted

Hi guys, I know it's probably impossible to tell .................. but from your experiences what sort of mileage would one expect from front tyres on the LS400 under " normal " driving and conditions ?

Thanks.

Malc

I bought and refurbished some DHP wheels for my LS and researched a bit to find if any other tyres would do the job as the Pirellis were expensive and from what I had heard wore out pretty quickly. I have fitted Michelin Primacy 225/55 17 to them and I am really pleased with them.

I was a little worried the very slight difference in circumference may upset the sat nav, but it has not been an issue, and compared to the Pirellis that I had before they are brilliant. It feels like a different, better car, much MUCH better in the wet.

My advice is stick some Michelin 225/55 17's on there and you will not regret it. Just make sure they are 'w' rated. With a new set you should be able to get 16000 plus miles out of them.

Hope this helps...

PS. The 235 and 245's will put your speedo and sat nav out by more than I would accept personally...

I bought and refurbished some DHP wheels for my LS and researched a bit to find if any other tyres would do the job as the Pirellis were expensive and from what I had heard wore out pretty quickly. I have fitted Michelin Primacy 225/55 17 to them and I am really pleased with them.

I was a little worried the very slight difference in circumference may upset the sat nav, but it has not been an issue, and compared to the Pirellis that I had before they are brilliant. It feels like a different, better car, much MUCH better in the wet.

My advice is stick some Michelin 225/55 17's on there and you will not regret it. Just make sure they are 'w' rated. With a new set you should be able to get 16000 plus miles out of them.

Hope this helps...

PS. The 235 and 245's will put your speedo and sat nav out by more than I would accept personally...

Whatever you do keep away from the Pirellis - mine came with the P6000s and, the slightest bit of water on the road was like ice. In the snow, you don't want to know! In anticipation of this year's white stuff I have already installed Vredestein snow tyres - as said above it is a different, safer, controlled car.

The Pirelli 245/50 x 17's on the rear of my DHP lasted well under 10k - fronts about 15k. I looked for alternatives and fitted 235/50's to the front (no problems with handling), and am fitting the same to the rear tomorrow - Falken 912's (£73 each as opposed to over £200 each for overpriced Pirellis).

I considered the very slight difference in rolling radius, but we have to remember that tyre sizes (like for like) do vary considerably amongst manufacturers, and the overall height between the Pirellis and Falkens was to my eye negligible.

As the speedo on my Lexus proved to be pretty innacurate anyway (70mph on speedo was actually around 67 as tested against a Tom Tom sat nav)I'm not worried. Ok, theoretical top speed may be down a tad, but who does 150 on our roads anyway.

Pete

Cheers

Alan

Hi 225 55 17 gives the same rolling radius as the standard 225 60 16s fitted to non dhp models also 225 55 17s are standard on ls 430s, They would have been my choice when going for 17s, As stated before Michelins are the ones to go with should last you about 20k.Grip in wet or dry conditions is great aswell. Falkens would be my choice on a budget tyre ( acceleras arent to bad also, a bit loud but the same tread pattern as Michelins)

Hi guys, I know it's probably impossible to tell .................. but from your experiences what sort of mileage would one expect from front tyres on the LS400 under " normal " driving and conditions ?

Thanks.

Malc

Hi

I get around 25k from mine.

I'm with you on the 25000 miles ( max ) mark too. And that's been on Dunlops.

But I do tend to drive quite carefully and haven't ever taken the old lady around corners at over 125 mph :winky: :tomato:

Malc

I only went for the Falkens after recommendations on here - very impressed so far. I find with tyres that what works on one car sometimes doesn't on another - hence the benefit of owners experiences.

I got them here:

http://www.allnewtyres.co.uk/tyre-details.asp?id=2703&235%2050%2017%20Falken%20ZE912%202355017%20W96

Pete

Got my new tyres fitted today and tested speedo against sat nav before and after fitting - no difference - 75mph on speedo is 70mph with worn 245's and new 235's, so presumably when the new tyres wear there will be a slight difference. Has any one else noticed the fast reading speedo on their LS?

Pete

Got my new tyres fitted today and tested speedo against sat nav before and after fitting - no difference - 75mph on speedo is 70mph with worn 245's and new 235's, so presumably when the new tyres wear there will be a slight difference. Has any one else noticed the fast reading speedo on their LS?

Pete

The 245 or 235 will make no difference to your speedo as that's the width of the tyre, the profile 45/50/55 is what makes the difference as that is what affects the rolling radius. So if you adjust the profile accordingly there should be no major difference.

Pete

Hi car speedos always read over with standard radius tyres (normally 5 to 10%). If they read under they would have a load of law suits against them from motorists getting done for speeding. If you follow a truck on a motorway you will be reading at least 60 whereas a truck speedo will read 56mph as tachos are accurate.

Guys...great replies.....

Rather than have a choice, and needing the tyres immediately I was left with no option but to choose the AVON Tyres:

Avon ZZ3 - 225/50 R17 101W XL

Was a bit worried about not having any other option, but the tyres are superb. Ultra quiet compared to the ones which were on it, and I just did a 200 mile round trip today on country roads and motorway in torrential rain, and flooded roads, and do issues at all.

They cost £440 for 4 inc valves, balancing, fitting etc. They also are pretty funky looking tread pattern, directional, and the design of the sidewall protects the wheel from getting scuffed....so really pleased.Not the actual tyre but zz3 pattern:

zz3.jpg

Pete

Hi car speedos always read over with standard radius tyres (normally 5 to 10%). If they read under they would have a load of law suits against them from motorists getting done for speeding. If you follow a truck on a motorway you will be reading at least 60 whereas a truck speedo will read 56mph as tachos are accurate.

Not really true - I've had several cars with accurate speedos (reading as per sat nav), plus the last 3 years on holiday in the US my hire cars have been bang on. Police tend to give a 10% leeway on speed anyway to give folk the benefit of the doubt - speed cameras a bit higher.

I'm aware of the profile choices with regard to gearing, but not all sizes are available.

Pete

Pete

Yes I have noticed my speedo reads approx 5-6 mph higher than my sat-nav, mine is a 92 with standard 15" wheels :o

Does nobody here use Toyo Proxes T1r's? Personally they are my favourite. Very good grip in the dry and wet. I have them all round in my LS and in my 200sx, best "grip/value" for money in my opinion and I shall be sticking to them for a long time to come yet....

Does nobody here use Toyo Proxes T1r's? Personally they are my favourite. Very good grip in the dry and wet. I have them all round in my LS and in my 200sx, best "grip/value" for money in my opinion and I shall be sticking to them for a long time to come yet....

Many of us have a favourite make of tyre but "best grip/value"?

One of the reasons i drive a big thirsty car rather than a small "economical" car is that, in the split second before i hit a tree, i dont want to be thinking "i wish i had spent more money on a bigger safer car, rather than this tiny box that im probably going to die in". The same goes for tyres as far as im concerned. Sorry if i sound a bit arsie.

The 245 or 235 will make no difference to your speedo as that's the width of the tyre, the profile 45/50/55 is what makes the difference as that is what affects the rolling radius. So if you adjust the profile accordingly there should be no major difference.

The profile 35 - 40 - 45 is a proportion of the width, not an absolute dimension.

So when changing from 245 to 235 width with the 'same' profile, the diameter will reduce slightly.

I use this site to give a reasonable comparison for tyre sizes http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_size_calculators.html

but not all 245/50 x17 tyres are exactly the same in either width or rolling circumference due to being from different manufacturers. This was highlighted on retro rides site when 2 manufacturers tyres (same size) were compared and there was around an inch difference in overall width. Very noticeable when they were laid flat next to each other.

I'm very impressed with the Falkens I've put on in place of the Pirellis - superior grip and a very noticeable improvement in ride quality.

Pete.

I'm very impressed with the Falkens I've put on in place of the Pirellis - superior grip and a very noticeable improvement in ride quality.

Pete.

Yup. More and more of us are coming to this conclusion. I reckon they are quieter, too.

And much cheaper than those brands with all their expensive advertising!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links