Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 (2000 Year) Heating Not Working

Hi,

Something has gone wrong with the cars internal heating. I have it at max temperature but it does not blow hot air.

I have noticed that after a while (maybe an hour of driving) when I am driving on the motorway and going fast (70mph :)) some hot air starts blowing. But when I slow down again it seems to stop blowing this hot air.

Can someone please advise what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Something has gone wrong with the cars internal heating. I have it at max temperature but it does not blow hot air.

I have noticed that after a while (maybe an hour of driving) when I am driving on the motorway and going fast (70mph :)) some hot air starts blowing. But when I slow down again it seems to stop blowing this hot air.

Can someone please advise what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance

Have you checked the engine coolant level?

JBP

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked the engine coolant level and it was low. I topped it up and still saw no improvement.

Then the next day I checked the coolant level again and from the top it had gone almost to the bottom.

Then I noticed a big patch of water on the driveway. It seems like the car is leaking water.

check the water circulation. sounds like there's no water going into the radiator. you may have a leak in the radiator or a defective hose. fill up the coolant resevoir with water and then come back and guess where the leak is coming from. if its front of the car near the catch for the bonnet, it will be radiator. if its away from that could be a hose. another tip, keep an eye on your engine temp as you don't want the thing running hot, you'll end up blowing something

good luck

finest1

[quote Then I noticed a big patch of water on the driveway. It seems like the car is leaking water.

The usual symptoms of coolant loss are a rise in engine temperature along with cold air only coming out of the heater. This is usually because the heater is one of the highest points in the cooling system and therefore loses its water first - hence no heat!

How big was the patch of water. It is quite usual to get a patch of water up to about the size of a dinner plate as a result of the condensation draining from the air conditioning.

JBP

Thanks for your advise guys. It was bigger than a dinner plate. I have topped up the coolant several times now upto the full mark.

Then after I drive for a few miles, stop and check it again it is at the bottom. But it doesnt seem to go any lower than that whcih I find strange becuase if there was a leak wouldnt it just keep going lower and lower until there is almost no water left?

The temp gauge is also very intermittent now when before it was very stable. If I am driving at a decent speed then it is fine but when I go slow or have to stop in traffic it starts going up and up.

I will check exactly where the leak is appearing.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the car to Lexus Milton Keynes for a diagnostic check.

The customer service was great, the lady at the reception was really nice and helpful.

So I sat there while they were carrying out some diagnostic checks.

Then the mechanic came along with the lady to update me on the results. Was really dissappointed with the attitude of the mechanic. He had this smuggish smile on his face and wouldnt really want to give proper detailed answers. Just said there is nothing wrong with the car apart from the engine light being on but that is because of an oxygen sensor. He then said the reason for that is the way the LPG conversion was done. Now I dont know about this because when I bought the car (was already converted to LPG) the engine light was not on and only came on some time later. He said basically its not a very well done conversion job and is basically a botched job. The conversion was done by a certified garage. Myabe he is right, i dont know, but I didnt like the way he was telling me this as if it was my fault.

Then I asked him about the car losing coolant and he said he couldnt find any leaks and that too is probably down to the lpg conversion. I told him it doesnt leak when the car is standing (please ignore my earlier comment that there was a leak I think I mixed that up with the fact that I used some warm water to clear ice from my windscreen and the water on the driveway was probably from that) but after I have driven it and I check the coolant level and I can see it has dropped significantly. He said oh really? And then went on to blame that onto the LPG system too and said that basically you'll just have to live with it and top it up all the time.

To cut the long story short it seemed like I was being treated in a non-cooperative way because the car had been converted to LPG. Now when I arranged this appointment I specifically mentioned and told the lady over the phone the car is converted to LPG and it isnt a factory fitted lpg system. Do you have a problem with that? And she said no that is fine. The reason I mentioned this to her was because I know there are some morons that have a problem with this.

The whole thing about the LPG system causing the water to leak doesnt make any sense to me at all. Ive had the car for 2 years and if there was something fundamentally wrong with the LPG conversion I would have had problems all along. This coolant system issue has appeared only recently. It could very well be that some part fitted as part of the LPG system has worn out and is now causing this but I dont know.