Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Major Electrical Problems On 1996 Ls400

Well

I have done it again, only 4 months since selling my last LS400 I have bit the bullet and bought a cheap one with need of a bit of fettling.

The guy I bought it off, is emigrating, so needs it gone, so £300 later I have bought it.

Car starts, and runs ok.

Will go into gear if you press the overdrive.

But it seems like there is a very general electical fault.

No lights, no wipers, no power steering.

Dash lights don't come on either, but I have repaired the dashes in my last two LS400's so wonder if that is related.

Seems to me that there could either be an issue related to the dash going down, or, its an ECU, wiring or common feed problem. E.g. there is a lost earth somewhere

So, if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate a pointer...either that my multimeter my need a new Battery with overuse

JM

Well

I have done it again, only 4 months since selling my last LS400 I have bit the bullet and bought a cheap one with need of a bit of fettling.

The guy I bought it off, is emigrating, so needs it gone, so £300 later I have bought it.

Car starts, and runs ok.

Will go into gear if you press the overdrive.

But it seems like there is a very general electical fault.

No lights, no wipers, no power steering.

Dash lights don't come on either, but I have repaired the dashes in my last two LS400's so wonder if that is related.

Seems to me that there could either be an issue related to the dash going down, or, its an ECU, wiring or common feed problem. E.g. there is a lost earth somewhere

So, if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate a pointer...either that my multimeter my need a new battery with overuse

JM

Apols in advance if this is a bit basic. Start with the power steering; has it got fluid and a belt? Can't see this as being an electrical issue. If you havent done so yet, check all the fuses and relays. Interesting that you have a steering issue and issues with the lights and wipers. Have the cowling off the steering and check that the lights and wipers are wired up. Whilst you have the cowling off, check the dash is plugged-in correctly. The reason I say all this is it wouldn't be unknown for somebody to have a look ata problem - say the dash lights - and to simply not bother reconnecting everthing.

Dont rule out the steering as an electrical fault.

In the manual, heavy steering can be caused by a fault in the progressive power steering.

Which is the system that makes the steering heavier at higher speeds, and if it thinks you are going fast then it could be hardening the steering.

This all could be down to just one fault, trouble is finding it.

Have you got the service manual?

Sounds like one of the main bolt in fuses to me :) probably the main one that would pop if you connected jump leads incorrectly.

Andy

I've got to agree check the fuse links in the box in the engine compartment first.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links