Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had The Privilege Today

Was pleasent actually seems they have changed the gearing ratio slightly but that may be because its only a 2 litre

I had a new fsport while mine had the recent recall done and to be honest it is similar in many respects handling etc obvioulsy not the sportier delivery the fsport gives and the gearing was different which is to be expected but it the 200d is slightly different gear ratio to my 220d

Had all the bells and whistles MM and parkig sensors etc looks the same as the current range denect handling from what I could tell with the limited time I drove it

On the whole I think its another option from. The 220 and another step in the right direction for the diesel

And also something else for a customer to think about if they are upgrading

Of driving the unreleased is200d that's coming out in 2011

The car is availible to buy today and the dealer i work has a demonstrator. The car is classed as an MY11 but everybody can try one today.

My opinion is the car is not quite as quick but more refined and better fuel consumption.

it does feel more refined i have a 2006 220 and you do feel a slight differece from mine in respects of the way it drives and the gearing

i cant comment o the economy as i only had it for 20 or so mins while mine was finished being valeted.

but then again i seem to be a luck one as my economy on mine is always in the 40's unless i thrash it

while mine was in there for the brake master cylinder recall they did the engine overall and fith injector for me too so im quite happy and if that can squeeze a few mor mpg out of it ill be over the moon

iv not driven a 2009/10 model se/se-l so couldnt compare the new 200 to that so maybe someone else could but the f-sport they gave me was very nice to say the least and it was the diesel f-sport and it drove like any other petrol ive driven in the lower gears and rev band so for me that is a nice car

as is the 200 from my test (play) drive

Was pleasent actually seems they have changed the gearing ratio slightly but that may be because its only a 2 litre

Isn't the IS200d still a 2.2 litre?

Still no Auto box?

Lexus auto boxes are heavily linked into overall Engine Management Systems and require the engine to effectively be quickly responsive to throttle action etc. Unfortunately Diesels aren't and cannot be; so a totally different design of auto box would be needed, which is unlikely because Diesel technology in cars is a passing phase which is coming to an end in favour of hybrids or alternative engine/fuel types etc. - basically anything better, which everything is. In current hybrids, engines need to frequently and un-noticeably start up and quickly reach useful revs - and diesels are no use for that either.

Diesels are certainly not THE answer (more of a political expediency!) and will be replaced by alternative fuels but certainly not by hybrids. They are a dead end if ever I saw one.

My opinion is that we're all just waiting for someone to figure out an energy efficient way of extracting hydrogen, then fuel cell technology will take over.

Although I must admit that the Chevy Volt is quite ingenious, and makes the current type of hybrid vehicle look a bit silly.

Diesels are certainly not THE answer (more of a political expediency!) and will be replaced by alternative fuels but certainly not by hybrids. They are a dead end if ever I saw one.

Diesel-engine characteristics were (and still are) very well suited to huge units powering shipping, trains and road haulage. In cars they are already at the dead-end of 100 years of development to try to make them suitable - but increasingly less economical. Newer electric/hybrid car technology still holds a glimmer of hope in development of lightweight, cheap batteries or they will be at a similar dead-end. Currently they are much better to drive but critically, far too expensive.

If serious development of petrol-engine alternatives for cars had started simultaneously; Diesels would have quickly been abandoned in favour of something that wasn't so obviously unsuitable. Only pricing that does not reflect the energy available in the fuel and political fiscal advantages keeps them viable for cars, and that cannot persist much longer. For now, Diesel cars are still a bit cheaper to run.

The IS200D is Lexus's latest/last gasp contribution and hopefully hasn't the flaws of the IS220D. The penalty remains that the best Diesel cars are fairly good, but never very good to drive. For those who do not believe this last bit; try to think of anything worse.

The IS200d is still the same 2.2 litre engine that has always been available for the IS - it's simply de-tuned to 150bhp (and has been for years in some European markets where anything over 150bhp attracts extra tax).

Apparently it's also available as an auto:

http://www.jardinemotors.co.uk/Lexus/news-and-offers/is-200d-f-sport-auto-just-359-vat-initial-rental-vat-for-business-users-only/

The IS200d is still the same 2.2 litre engine that has always been available for the IS - it's simply de-tuned to 150bhp (and has been for years in some European markets where anything over 150bhp attracts extra tax).

Apparently it's also available as an auto:

http://www.jardinemotors.co.uk/Lexus/news-and-offers/is-200d-f-sport-auto-just-359-vat-initial-rental-vat-for-business-users-only/

I thought I had read that it was a new 2ltr engine but if that is the case what's the point in it over here where it'll make little difference? And does that mean the 200d will sit alongside the 220d rather than replace it?

According to this article, the IS200d replaces the IS220d in the UK, whereas in the rest of Europe, both cars will be available. It is still a 2.2 litre diesel, but the horses have dropped to 148. Also, no sign of auto box. That will cost them sales esp as BMW and Merc have the Auto.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2010/08/30/new-lexus-is-200d-arrives-in-europe-for-2011/