Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My car is a bog standard IS250 auto. It has not been lowered or modified in anyway. As I stated in my original posting the clearance between the top of the tyre/wheel and the wheel arch, together with the width of the standard tyre makes it very very difficult to fit the sock over the top of the tyre let alone fit it around the rest of the tyre. I have yet to succeed in fitting a sock and that is with the car in the "comfort" of my garage.

yamavira.

I have a standard IS220d and I'm considering buying AutoSocks, so I'm very interested as well in hearing whether others are having issues or not fitting them on an IS 250/220.

(Since both the 250 and the 220 have 225/45 R17 (front) and 245/45 R17 (rear) wheels, I assume if it fits on either of them, it'll fit on the other.)

IS 250 Sport 255/40/18 at the back - Last winter this car was nothing more than a half ton of usless metal when the white fluffy stuff arrived. This year I got a set of four Autosocks and the transformation is incredible. I now have a car I can use in the snow/ice. I have no idea how long they will last but they are superb initially.

Previous poster stated that they were impossible to fit. I will agree that they are indeed very difficult to fit at the back (front not too bad) due to the clearance of the wheel arch and the width of the tyres. In order to make it easier I had to jack the car up to give me the required clearance - not handy in a blizzard and on a slight incline. Having a partner help hold may also make it easier.

Reading through the forum I do feel that I should aquire another set of wheels and fit winter tyres if for no reason other than convenience. Due to the fitting issue of the socks I am reluctant to remove them, therfore risk destroying them on tarmac when the roads get partially cleared.

Hope this helps.

Hi all, I had a difficult time with my is250 auto last winter so bought some autosocks.Had to use them last saturday on a very steep hill in France when we ran into heavy snow.Had to stop on the hill because a lorry was stuck in front.Reluctantly I had to leave my cosy seat and attempt for the first time fitting the socks.I have to say I agree they are very difficult to fit due to lack of clearance and tyre width.I managed to get them more or less on and decided that was the best I could do(the sock was not right over the inside but on the beginning of the curve of the wall if that makes sense)I pulled off on the hill without any problem at all and was very impressed with the grip.The socks actually fitted themselves perfectly with the rotation of the wheels as it states in the instructions.We drove a further 12 kms with them fitted and didn't have a hint of slipping,although I was very wary about making sure I ran with the wheels in the snow rather than the slush line that was starting to form in case of wearing them out.We were 350 miles from home so didn't know how much I might need them for.

In my opinion they were worth the money and apart from the fitting difficulty would recommend them.

OK... who knows about this?? http://www.sprayontyrechain.co.uk/

Based on their website it looked very much like snake oil or even a scam website (except for the part where it says it's out of stock), but since the idea seemed so nice, I looked into it a bit more.

After reading through http://www.cyclingforums.com/forum/thread/213119/spray-on-tire-chains and http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes/158567-do-spray-on-snow-tires-work.html, my opinion/understanding is the following:

- it doesn't work at all as well as winter tyres or snow chains

- it should help traction a bit

- it will wear off very quickly

- someone also reported that it was a messy thing to put on

So basically: it's pretty cheap, and if you don't have winter tyres, it might be useful to have this in your car and use it if you ever get stuck (e.g. up a hill or something). It'll probably help you get past obstacle if the obstacle isn't too bad. Then it'll quickly wear off again.

I haven't tried, that's just my understanding of it.

Anyone have any experience with it/anecdotal evidence of it? (Just how messy it is would also be an interesting thing to clarify.)

IS 250 Sport 255/40/18 at the back - Last winter this car was nothing more than a half ton of usless metal when the white fluffy stuff arrived. This year I got a set of four Autosocks and the transformation is incredible. I now have a car I can use in the snow/ice. I have no idea how long they will last but they are superb initially.

Which size AutoSock did you use on the rear? 255/40-R18 is apparently a "no fit" size: http://www.autosock.co.uk/ASsize.php

thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy, I emailed the company and they recommended size AS685 for the back.

As an update I've done probably 100miles on snow and ice without issue but when the thaw came and tarmac

was visible the socks wore down very quickly.They are indeed fantastic at getting you out of a pickle but not for running about on. I've ordered another set for the next batch of white stuff but will NEED to ensure they are removed with any sign of tarmac.

Another set of wheels with winter tyres for me next year or a RX.

hope this helps, Eddie.

Hi Andy, I emailed the company and they recommended size AS685 for the back.

Yes, that's really helpful, thanks Eddie! I bought some 685s from roofbox.co.uk a couple of weeks ago based on their wheel size calculator's recommendation, but haven't tried fitting them yet because the label doesn't show that tyre size. I'll give it a go.

Feel silly for not ordering some front ones at the same time... it seems AutoSock themselves are out of stock now.

Andy

[edit: yes, they do fit - very easily it turns out. Thanks for the reassurance!]

• 2 weeks later...

I found it useful to fit them by passing them around the front or back of the tyre rather tha over the top of the wheel where there isnt much clearance. If I knew that I was going to be pulling up on a road covered in snow, I just kept my speed down on the cleared roads, no harsh accelerating, braking or turning. avoiding the hastle of taking them off only to put them back on.