Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good afternoon all,

I've had my '96 Ls400 for 3 months now and love it, something so different to my other cars!

Now with the view of keeping it longer than expected its time to think of tyres... The size on the car now are 225.60.16. Firstly are they the correct size? Secondly what do you run? I dont want to get a tyre that will ruin the ride or add lots of noise but then the budget isnt unlimited.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Hi and welcome ........ loadsa thoughts in this forum prior to your Q.

I use 225 x 60 x 16 Dunlops and they seem to be good for me BUT I understand that FALKENS are good too and when I come to replace my front tyres ( anytime soon now ) I will probably search out a supplier of Falkens .......... believe they are top budgets........... coz this forum has said from time to time !

Hope so if I'm spending my hard earned dosh on them.

Malc

Avon for me every time. last set of 4 set me back about £380 last year.

Before you buy though, look at last weeks Saturday Telegraph motor section. There was a great piece on winter tyres. You can get it on line i think. If not let me know and ill get the info onto the forum somehow.

Avon for me every time. last set of 4 set me back about £380 last year.

Before you buy though, look at last weeks Saturday Telegraph motor section. There was a great piece on winter tyres. You can get it on line i think. If not let me know and ill get the info onto the forum somehow.

Heres a link to the article in the telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/8151547/Winter-tyres-are-they-worth-it.html

If you drive it in the snow, then I would suggest that you dont fit Dunlops, as I has these on my LS430 last year and can honestly say that it was the only time I have ever been terrified to drive a car.

On a journey, for no reason at all the rear would just break away, and I would find myself pointing at traffic coming the other way. There was next to no grip on the front end, reversing into my driveway was a wind the steering over and see which way it goes affair.

To say that they are dangerous is an undertatement, and there are many taxi owners and tyre fitters around here that agree with me.

I had a set of Michelins fitted this year, and although they are summer tyres, they have transformed the car in the snow.

It still breaks away, but only if you want it to. The steering is fine and it goes where yo point it.

It could still be lairy, but only if you drive it that way, it is now predictable, which is more relaxing, and more fun!

Hi guys, can you help me please ?

I've just been quoted £89.90 " all-up " for each of two Falkens 225/60/16 for my 94 LS400.

Is this a good price do you think ?

Thanks.

Malc

I've just been quoted £89.90 " all-up " for each of two Falkens 225/60/16 for my 94 LS400.

Thanks.

Malc

Doent sound especially cheap or expensive. ita about what i paid for Avons. But i got a discount. If i were you, id look on the internet and ring round for the best price. They will always do a deal. All of them. Goood luck mate.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Looking at the Falken website they seem very short on stockists anywhere near to me ( CT postcode ) and I think I'm going to be a bit limited on availability of Falkens specifically.

I'll try some other tyre dealers then to see if they can get Falkens for me.

Thanks guys.

Malc

It's a lot more than I would have expected. Maybe the reputation has driven up the price.

There is a site called black something that deliver to local centres who will fit for you.

There was a mobile fitter here who was selling fitting and balancing on your doorstep cheaper than the stores maybe there is one near you?

Can't believe it !

Another cheapy garage is having to quote me £117.50 " all-up " for each Falken 225 / 60 / 16.

He's apologised and doesn't understand why they are so expensive now.

A tad cheaper than the Dunlops they might replace.

Are Falkens that good then ?

Malc

Just found the receipt:

£67.93 before tax Each fitted.

04/11/08

Two years ago then, and 20squid cheaper ............ 15% per annum inflation doesn't sound too clever to me !

What mileage did u get / are getting from them in this time and are they on the front ?

Thanks

Malc

Thanks.

Malc

Hi Malc,

I have just bought a couple of Falkens for my LS, mine has the DHP wheels on so I fit 235 50 17s.

I am happy so far with the performance of the tyres but with the current road conditions I haven't really tested them properly.

I bought mine from here ( http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m62b0s424p12914 ) and the service was quick and reliable.

You should be able to find a local garage to fit them for you from anywhere between £10 and £20 per tyre, I know this sounds a lot but don't forget you are getting new valves and the wheels have to be balanced and you have to pay the "Enviromental Charge" for the disposal of your old tyres.

I hope this helps.

Steve.

Ive just dug out the receipt for the Avons i had fitted. £384 for 4 including valves, ba;ance and environment charge. April 09 and 17,000 miles ago. I recon they still have about 2-3,000 still in them.

Much better than the Dunlop SP sports that were on my c200 merc. 11,500 miles per set. But i did drive it like i stole it.

1 posting referred to Black something as a site for tyres. Thats Blackcircles.com.

good luck mate.

Thanks guys.

The Blackcircles offer just happens to be out of the same garage that quoted me £89.90 ......... but just a few pence per tyre cheaper thru their website.

I'll look at the logistics of the Camskill offer; thanks.

Malc

Just looked thanks but regrettably they quote £5 dearer Plus Tyre disposal charge and their fitting garage is 6 miles further than the one at £89.90 I mentioned above.

Thanks for trying.

Malc

I had a nightmare journey to Dore near Sheffield on Friday. Once I approached North East Derbyshire the roads were littered with abondoned cars and worse still, pedestrians walking on the single track that was the "road." The car was like a sledge. Ended up with the ABS light on and eventually getting stuck half a mile from destination. Ordinary tyres. Would have had my teeth extracted without anesthetic to have had some footedness let alone sure footedness.

However the purpose of posting is to say that on Saturday I was listening to Radio 4 and heard a feature on winter tyres and motor insurance. Logic would suggest that a safer tyre would be welcomed. Nope. One guy had his cover terminated on the spot. The article did interview a representative of the insurance industry who suggested that such action was not logical. However, all of us I'm sure, have tyres fitted and never give it a thought as to what, if any, impact this might have on our insurance. Igorance is unlikely to be bliss. If your insurer has this strange idea that winter tyres are a modification then, in the event of a claim, that policy could well be void.

Pain though it is, it seems telling the insurer is the only way to be certain that all is well.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the not replying sooner.

Looks like it will be the falcons then - They've got to be better than the triangles on the front currently!

Incidentally I didnt have any issues during the snow, I had the rear breakaway occasionally on the slippy roads but considering its auto etc I think it faired pretty damn well. I only got stuck when I parked in some deep snow which most cars would have got stuck in!

However I had planed to get winter tyres this year but didnt get round to it in the summer, then changed cars etc so if I still have the LS next year I'll properly get a set, I do think they would be worth the investment if you really need to get to places then you shouldn't have any problems..

I would imagine the cost with a set of wheels would be huge plus storage all year. We may never see a winter like that again for another 100 years.

I agree about the storage costs - unless they can be accomodated in the garage/garden.

With regard to the conditions, I seem to think that the weather at the begining of last year was sufficiently cold to prompt similar comments and in less than 12 months it happenned again. It has however been a bit colder this time - its cracked our pan in the outside loo.

Whilst I live in south Lincs these days, I grew up on the border of S Yorks and NE Derbys. I dont recall it myself but I remember my parents talking about the winters of 1947 and 1963. What I do recall since I started driving in 75 was that my mother's road was always a nightmare eg 1 Mini stuck because the wheels didn't reach the bottom of the ruts in the snow eg 2 taking dads car broadside down their street.

I also remember the winter of 78/79 and having to abandon the car after getting stuck in the snow in Holmesfield after trying to dig it out for an hour and half. That was a Wednesday night; on the Saturday my mate and I went to find it. Occaisionly you could see the roof of a car 7 or 8 feet below where we were walking. We never found it which was fortunate because I have know idea what we could have done. I got the car back 2 weeks later.

When I moved to Lincs on 28 Dec 81, my new lawn had 4 inches of snow; I had just left 4 feet of the stuff!

The point being is that in terms of snow and ice, this last bout has not been particularly remarkable and for those that can afford the tyres and storage it appears to me to be a no-brainer. My ordinary tyres appear to be made from solid material in the cold.