Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Tyres

greg2302

Hi all, just a recommendation really. This is my first winter with my IS220D and I was concerned about how poorly the car would perform in the snow and ice, as it's rear wheel drive (plus my boss has the same car and his was terrible last year). I fitted a set of Continental WinterContact about 2 weeks ago (Kwik Fit, believe it or not, £410 fitted when bought online). I've been having great fun up in the North of Scotland this week overtaking 4x4s on the back roads, what a difference (compared with my previous cars fitted with standard tyres). Loads of traction and the back end only steps out when you do it on purpose, no need to switch the TC off when pulling away up icy hills etc. Thumbs up from me ! :lol:

I concur, maybe a different make but I bought a set of winter specific tyres (Nokian) for my wife's 3 series compact (a bad traction vehicle in the snow due to hardly any rear axle weight) and past few days in this bad snow falls shes been whizzing about complaining about all the idiots driving so slow.....now thats a bold statement for my wife!

Seriously she reckons they feel little different from normal driving.

I just do not think people in the UK are educated in the REAL difference between tyres that will still grip below 8 degrees and summer tyres!

Best regards David

Ive just got a set of dunlop 2 + Hankook 2 winter tyres fitted to my ls400 Ive got a spare set of rims. I go for part worns imported from Germany about 6mm left on them. £100 fitted & balanced, There are plenty available in the part worn tyre shops as they are not in great demand here.

Hi all, just a recommendation really. This is my first winter with my IS220D and I was concerned about how poorly the car would perform in the snow and ice, as it's rear wheel drive (plus my boss has the same car and his was terrible last year). I fitted a set of Continental WinterContact about 2 weeks ago (Kwik Fit, believe it or not, £410 fitted when bought online). I've been having great fun up in the North of Scotland this week overtaking 4x4s on the back roads, what a difference (compared with my previous cars fitted with standard tyres). Loads of traction and the back end only steps out when you do it on purpose, no need to switch the TC off when pulling away up icy hills etc. Thumbs up from me ! :lol:

interesting ! - worth noting the 4x4 forums are running threads to see who does the most recoveries of pulling people who have driven off the road into a ditch(or worse) back onto the road ( where vehicle still drivable) - as regards the overtaking 4x4s on snowy back roads its up to the individual but i dont think this is the best piece of driving advice i have ever seen tbh - whatever you drive and whatever your tyres please drive carefully in the snow and if you dont have much experience of being able to move in snowy conditions dont drive like schumacher just because you think a set of winter tyres is going to save you or your car from damage when driven irresponsibly

I have 225/55/17 tyre needs!

I am in desperate need for some winter tyres. I didn't use the car for over a week and the cold temps killed the Battery.

The trouble is I cannot find any winter tyres anywhere. If anyone knows where to get some I would be very happy to hear about it!!!

Thinking about tyres.

Can I change the side wall height of my tyre as then I'll have more choice, eg. My tyres are 225/55/17 can I change the height, 55, to 50 or even 45?

With 50 the speedo will read under 2 mph and with a 45 the speedo will read 5mph under. Is there anything else that I should look for?

After looking everywhere good old Lexus had some in stock! The are for an IS250 though, 225/45/17 and my normal tyres are 225/55/17. It looks like the only difference will be spedo reading -5mph, unless of course anyone has any other knowledge?!

I'll get them fitted next week and hopefully if we get more snow or ice I shall be able to move! :hehe:

After looking everywhere good old Lexus had some in stock! The are for an IS250 though, 225/45/17 and my normal tyres are 225/55/17. It looks like the only difference will be spedo reading -5mph, unless of course anyone has any other knowledge?!

I'll get them fitted next week and hopefully if we get more snow or ice I shall be able to move! :hehe:

if you have or can borrow a tomtom or similar you can check your indicated speed on your speedo against mph on the gps which are usually pretty accurate to get an idea of your actual speeds with your winter tyres on once theyre fitted

if you have or can borrow a tomtom or similar you can check your indicated speed on your speedo against mph on the gps which are usually pretty accurate to get an idea of your actual speeds with your winter tyres on once theyre fitted

Good idea! I shall do that. It might be that I'll be about 10mph under at 70mph.........

it could be , on my old 200 the car speedo read 70 when i was actually doing 65 mph - i understand they have to be within 90 percent of accuracy from the factory so worth checking - incidentally my disco reads 70mph at 70 mph on the gps so may of got lucky on this one - post up when you get your winter tyres on,, snow should be back from wednesday onwards and let us know how you get on

- post up when you get your winter tyres on,, snow should be back from wednesday onwards and let us know how you get on

I shall give an honest opinion, whether its money well spent or not! I'm getting them fitted next Friday so if any winter weather after then I shall go out and plough through!

• 2 years later...